Uniden...Where is NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

NXDN is coming soon to a Whistler scanner near you

On the Whistler forum, WW just confirmed that the promised NXDN upgrade will be out before the end of the year, and to 'expect an announcement soon'. The pressure's on Uniden not to be upstaged! Time to start looking for a new 'hint' avatar from UpMan.

Mod Note: Edited thread title to prevent confusion--Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited by a moderator:

prc117f

Curious does the Whistlers do DMR as well? looks like it does and future NXDN no cost extras. TRX-2s looking to be the replacements for the old unidens. :)

Last edited:

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would take a 436/536 any day over the current whistlers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prc117f

You do not seem to give a reason. Both brands are worthless for Simulcast LSM sites (I tried both)

But Whistler offers DMR and NXDN soon both no cost. and no worries about dying screens.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My BCD436HP does very well on a simulcast system which is very difficult to decode on other scanners. Uniden recently released a firmware upgrade which made decode even better. The only area where I occasionally have problems is inside a downtown building, where the $5000 police radios are even having difficulties.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Some users are having good luck with both scanners. It all goes back to location and user settings and how the system is set up. Just because it did not work for you does not mean they are bad.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You do not seem to give a reason. Both brands are worthless for Simulcast LSM sites (I tried both)

But Whistler offers DMR and NXDN soon both no cost. and no worries about dying screens.

It's only my opinion and I don't need to justify it to you or anybody for that matter.

I have had my 436 since they hit the market a few years ago and I love it. It works great on 800 p25 simulcast at least in my part of the country. I have had it in the shop once for the time clock repair even with that said I still wouldn't trade it even for a Motorola APX8000 or one of those now popular p25 pager receivers.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber

I own the 436HP x 2, 536HP x 3, TRX-1, and TRX-2 (plus many many others). The TRX-1 and 2 are decent scanners, but I have to agree that if I only could have two scanners (heaven forbid), I would take a 436HP/536HP over anything else out in the non-commercial market.

br0adband

While it might seem that's the case, look at the base price of the TRX-1: $650 with DMR from the factory and NXDN apparently being added by the end of the year.

Then look at Uniden's 436HP with the base price of $600 and they charge $60 (at least I think that's the price) for the upgrade to allow for DMR reception and now potentially they'll be offering NXDN soon for probably another $60.

So, if you think Whistler is giving you DMR for free, they're not, it's just factored into the higher base price to begin with - they have to pay licensing fees just like Uniden does (I'm pretty sure of that but if I'm wrong someone will call me out on it, obviously).

I do love what the newer scanners are capable of but I certainly ain't happy about the pricing but that's my own opinion. ;)

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well you know Uniden must be releasing NXDN soon because RR.com just updated their whole database and is adding all of the NXDN systems in my cities and my counties.

As to the radios I would no spend money on Whistler. I have had both radios from both companies and Uniden seems to be the better of the two if I had to pick one over the other.

But if you want to be completely happy buy all of the models and then you will have a whole shed full of tools for the job you want to accomplish. Also, make sure you add a commerical grade Moto to your shed too

bama9999

Well you know Uniden must be releasing NXDN soon because RR.com just updated their whole database and is adding all of the NXDN systems in my cities and my counties.

As to the radios I would no spend money on Whistler. I have had both radios from both companies and Uniden seems to be the better of the two if I had to pick one over the other.

But if you want to be completely happy buy all of the models and then you will have a whole shed full of tools for the job you want to accomplish. Also, make sure you add a commerical grade Moto to your shed too

I don't know if Uniden is going to offer NXDN or not, but RR updating the database to include it doesn't signal that Uniden is going to. Whistler also pulls from the database for some of their scanners as well, so the RR update could simply be just for that.

prc117f

While it might seem that's the case, look at the base price of the TRX-1: $650 with DMR from the factory and NXDN apparently being added by the end of the year.

Then look at Uniden's 436HP with the base price of $600 and they charge $60 (at least I think that's the price) for the upgrade to allow for DMR reception and now potentially they'll be offering NXDN soon for probably another $60.

So, if you think Whistler is giving you DMR for free, they're not, it's just factored into the higher base price to begin with - they have to pay licensing fees just like Uniden does (I'm pretty sure of that but if I'm wrong someone will call me out on it, obviously).

I do love what the newer scanners are capable of but I certainly ain't happy about the pricing but that's my own opinion. ;)

TRX-2 is selling for 540 mot 650

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If uniden does release it wonder if they are doing beta tests like DMR. I don't have NXDN in my area only 1 place uses it I don't hear nothing on search mode see if I get a signal.

JamesO

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping Uniden gives those of us with DMR a break and gives us NXDN. I understand that there is a licensing fee, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.