Uniden X36 Simulcast Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks very much for the MPSCS video. I listen to this system fairly often and the simulcast sites are brutal to try and listen to. Very encouraging!!

SCOTTER

That was not very good at all the simulcast break up was bad at times from the cars and dispatch or is that good for that system?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You can see the "signal graph" going up and down with poor signal, seems the "stock antenna is what everyone is raving about??........

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
That is a terrible video of the performance. It exhibits the same signal behavior as the old radios. I made the same observations in the good videos too...

It's like they tweaked the squelch circuit to not rapidly open and close, so people don't have to completely open the squelch on their own. This is not a fix at all, they just don't get it.

wise871

Database Admin
Out of all the reviews so far the IPDSC system is the only one struggling so far. From the half dozen other reports the reviews have been the same or extremely positive. I wouldn't base my buying decision on this unless I live in that area. There are more reports to come as users get there radios. I like to see reports from Atlanta, Phoenix, etc. The IPDSC system may just be a total nightmare to monitor.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

What other radios have been used from this location and how have they perforned.

KC0CSE

Out of all the reviews so far the IPDSC system is the only one struggling so far. From the half dozen other reports the reviews have been the same or extremely positive. I wouldn't base my buying decision on this unless I live in that area. There are more reports to come as users get there radios. I like to see reports from Atlanta, Phoenix, etc. The IPDSC system may just be a total nightmare to monitor.

any simulcast system is a nightmare if you have to put up with it...so either you have fixed the problem or you have not...real simple....for $600 bucks..Uniden will not come out right and say they have....have they?

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
any simulcast system is a nightmare if you have to put up with it...so either you have fixed the problem or you have not...real simple....for $600 bucks..Uniden will not come out right and say they have....have they?

I think Uniden has said they improved simulcast on several occasions. For me, it has completely. The MetroSafe system in Louisville has been a nightmare on my Pro-106 and Pro-197. When mobile, I was lucky to get half the transmissions on either device. On the 106 I had a 800mhz antenna. On the 197, I had a decent antenna I bought from a local radio shop that was designed for 800mhz.

On my drive back from the Ham Station in Indiana, I stopped and did a quick power on of the BCD536HP and using the stock antenna, I set it to scan just MetroSafe. From the Indiana line thru the western part of Louisville then from north Louisville to south Louisville, I did not have the first garbled transmission. The audio was also much clearer and sounded just like it was coming from one of the portables the officers carry.

I am very impressed.

I believe performance will vary by system and also user setup but for the vast majority posting, it has been a great improvement.

nategb

Premium Subscriber
From YouTube description:
"The scanner at this point was right out of the box with no adjustments to the settings."

Does that mean no firmware update was performed?

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
From YouTube description:
"The scanner at this point was right out of the box with no adjustments to the settings."

Does that mean no firmware update was performed?

Yes thay could be part of the problem because UPMan said they made several fixes from the firmware that was sent for production. Also, I would be interested to see this same system monitored with the stock antenna.

KC0CSE

I think Uniden has said they improved simulcast on several occasions. For me, it has completely. The MetroSafe system in Louisville has been a nightmare on my Pro-106 and Pro-197. When mobile, I was lucky to get half the transmissions on either device. On the 106 I had a 800mhz antenna. On the 197, I had a decent antenna I bought from a local radio shop that was designed for 800mhz.

On my drive back from the Ham Station in Indiana, I stopped and did a quick power on of the BCD536HP and using the stock antenna, I set it to scan just MetroSafe. From the Indiana line thru the western part of Louisville then from north Louisville to south Louisville, I did not have the first garbled transmission. The audio was also much clearer and sounded just like it was coming from one of the portables the officers carry.

I am very impressed.

I believe performance will vary by system and also user setup but for the vast majority posting, it has been a great improvement.

I'm glad your satisfied with this unit...and the money you spent on it...I hope to see more reports that are positive in nature...I will still wait and get the full review ...thank you

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Uniden will not come out right and say they have....have they?

You are correct... Uniden has never stated that they have corrected, solved, enhanced simulcast permronace in any way.

UPMan specifically stated he would not comment on it and that users would have to decide for themselves.

My point is the same as yours... if Uniden HAD made improvements to simulcast reception, they would have made it a huge selling point. But they have not.

So the only conclusion I can come to, is that they "maybe" made some small tweaks that helped a little, but not enough for them to be confident enough to declare any of these possible enhancements any sort of fix.

Last edited:

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad your satisfied with this unit...and the money you spent on it...I hope to see more reports that are positive in nature...I will still wait and get the full review ...thank you

A correction, I am never happy spending money! But I am completely satisfied with the purchase

KC0CSE

You are correct... Uniden has never stated that they have corrected, solved, enhanced simulcast permronace in any way.

UPMan specifically stated he would not comment on it and that users would have to decide for themselves.

My point is the same as your... if Uniden HAD made improvements to simulcast reception, they would have made it a huge selling point. But they have not.

So the only conclusion I can come to, is that they "maybe" made some small tweaks that helped a little, but not enough for them to be confident enough to declare any of these possible enhancements any sort of fix.

thank you....I'm not crazy..

Status
Not open for further replies.