Uniden.........You've got to be kidding me!!!

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I hope Joe Bearcat reads this message. I have a recently acquired BCD325P2 that needs the rubber cover for the USB port. I called Uniden about 3 or 4 weeks ago & it was on back order. Called last week & they we in, but they would not sell me one. They wanted me to send the radio in to have them install the $2 part. So, $89 plus shipping, plus insurance for a Uniden tech to remove 6 screws, install the cover, replace 6 screws. Took me about 3 minutes.
I currently own 8 digital Uniden scanners. This policy is just WRONG. Anyone have a junker that's unrepairble that I can salvage the USB cover from?

Pissed off in NH

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is between a rock and a hard place: they are the number one manufacturer of scanner radios, in a market that is slowly (and, in some places, not so slowly) going to encryption, compounded by the inherent problem of the technical difficulty of just setting up those radios to the listener's preferences.

So, in order to keep the company afloat, they charge for everything.

With that said, those who post questions like, "What would you like to see in the next generation of SDS?" are living in a make-believe dreamworld. Unless radio consumers are willing to pay upwards of $1000 for one radio to listen to their local DPW or school bus company...and little else...there is no 'next generation' of SDS coming.

And, from a business point of view, should there be.

Think: buggy whips.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is between a rock and a hard place: they are the number one manufacturer of scanner radios, in a market that is slowly (and, in some places, not so slowly) going to encryption, compounded by the inherent problem of the technical difficulty of just setting up those radios to the listener's preferences.

With that said, those who post questions like, "What would you like to see in the next generation of SDS?" are living in a make-believe dreamworld. Unless radio consumers are willing to pay upwards of $1000 for one radio to listen to their local DPW or school bus company...and little else...there is no 'next generation' of SDS coming.

Some of that is changing though... It's a start anyway...

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

“So, in order to keep the company afloat, they charge for everything.”

…No way does that justify their policy to charge $90+ for a 25 cent part. And even charging and getting more for their products won’t get them changing their parts policy anytime soon. They just don’t get supporting a parts dept. (which may be illegal in some states.)

Uniden isn’t going under either. Scanners are only one division of the business. Yes, they may sell less scanners in the future, causing that division to close but I believe that is a worst case scenario. Instead, I think they will just continue with their R&D, introduce new models (or updated versions) while watching the market and continue selling scanners. The market will take a hit for sure, but it will survive without the First Responders.

Part of what I say is supported by how it works the UK. They have a scanner market with police and fire encrypted. All first responder comms are encrypted and they still sell scanners.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Why do people insist on filing complaints with the BBB?

It is pointless.

They are not a regulatory or investigative agency. They cannot compel anything - even from their paying members. They are little more than a voluntary organization for small businesses within a community that want a paid for rating.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Umm, the 325 doesn't NEED the rubber cover port. My unit functions absolutely perfect after I ripped off the USB cover port when I acquired it last year as a birthday gift from me to me. It was useless in my appliance. If anything, I'm sure black electrical tape would do the trick.

a417

File your complaints with the Better Business Bureau, iam cause the product he sold me is dog$%^&!
Let me know how that works out for you, the BBB is a useless agency. I also highly doubt that he sold it personally to you.
Take a big deep breath.

You don't like it that much, I'll buy it off you. Seriously.

Last edited: