Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailly2

since they ignore encrypted transmissions, are they are good scanner to buy for federal monitoring? or will you end up with a ton of 1 second audio recordings? thanks

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I use my Uniden for federal and military searching, but also use the Whistler radios, as they record encrypted transmissions, as well as pertinent data, such as P25 talk groups and radio ID's.

Some listeners don't like the encrypted P25 noise, and would prefer the radio skip such transmissions. I prefer to catch everything, so for me, the Whistler scanners are preferred for federal logging.

- Chris

bailly2

Thanks. Im just trying to get in the clear voice transmissions
some federal frequencies are 99% encrypted. Trying to just get that 1 or 2. 10 second files. Will it do that?

ecps92

I'm with CP, I'd rather hear the ENC noise, as it alerts me to activity.

Your posts are from all over (thread search) and profile is not specific, but I did see a Mass posting, where are you, that you are hearing 99% ENC as I know it's not that high in the 617 ;)
Thanks. Im just trying to get in the clear voice transmissions
some federal frequencies are 99% encrypted. Trying to just get that 1 or 2. 10 second files. Will it do that?

bailly2

uggghhh. nevermind. the only uniden scanners that do audio recording are deaf on vhf.

bailly2

the reviews said so. no prob, i found a solution....dsd. only records in the clear transmissions

OceanNora

I listen to federal digital VHF on my BCD436HP quite often, if it's deaf then I'm wondering how much is out there because I hear them very often and don't seem to ever drop off during a conversation. Just my $.02.

bailly2

oceannora, what is the farthest vhf signal you can receive? or how many noaa weather channels can you pickup? also, what antenna are you using? im currently using dsd computer program, its good but i don't like to have a 75 watt laptop running all day

OceanNora

Barring any sort of really good day atmosphere-wise, I can pick up a few VHF signals from about 45 miles away with a Diamond SRH77CA. On the weather front, I usually pick up 3, barring any sort of anomaly. Bear in mind, it's generally on the first floor of a house literally a few feet above sea level. Air band is definitely better than my 246T, but I would call it good rather than excellent.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
I love my Uniden 396XT for VHF Monitoring and can hear 2 NOAA WX Transmitters very well and 1 scratchy. using the stock antenna. If I put it on the outside antenna, a lot more come in. I have about a 25 miles range of VHF signals that I can hear.

I use my 496 for 700/800mhz only.

Status
Not open for further replies.