Uniden536HP Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathfinder46

I purchased this scanner and received it last Wednesday the 19th. I have had a lot of scanners over the years but this is my first digital scanner. To say that I am over whelmed to say the least. I've put in my zip code as this was the easiest for me. I would like to find a "glossary" of terms to explain in detail as what I am finding in the users manual I understand the terms but one term splits into even more, for instance on page 15 it states that systems holds all of your sites, departments and channels. I understand channels, etc. I would like know what to start out with as my old analog scanners are getting almost nothing any more. Is there any manual setting on this scanner as I try to avoid out what I don't want but not sure to add channels that I do want. To enter a trunk system I need letters instead of numbers, so where am I supposed finds these letters and different trunk systems, etc.? I'm not clear what you need, should or can do online either. What about the people that don't have a computer? For scanners years ago you could buy magazines like Police Call and such to help locate frequencies, etc. I need something or anything that will breakdown how to operate this digital scanner much better than the current owners manual. You would Uniden would have video on their web site that would fully detail how and what to do. I would appreciate all and all help. Thank you!

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Here is a different owner's manual that some find useful.

Mark's Scanners

You can go to UTube and search for 536 or 436 videos and you will find several that show programing and how to operate the scanners.

You can download Sentinel to your computer. It is used to help you program your scanner. Some people will play with Sentinel by finding their state then county and city. Once they see them in Sentinel that can see how they have been programmed.

You can copy this to make a simple "Favorite's List"(FL) and over time it will grow.

Just get started and spend some time working with these resources so you will know what questions you need to ask here on RR when you hit a snag.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's really been interesting to see the development of scanners over 40 years. We've gone from simple 8 channel crystal controlled units to what we now have available. It seems that with each generation, there is so much more to learn.

Best advice is to practice, practice, practice. Be prepared for things to go wrong - they are great learning opportunities. The good news is that no matter how bad you mess up your programming, you won't hurt the scanner - just your pride and patience. As time goes along, you'll "get it".

I echo N0UDG's advice, particularly with YouTube. There are many great videos there that I found very helpful and are excellent tutorials on how to operate the scanner. Uniden Upman's are pretty good and K4DPS has a bunch of them covering lots of subjects.

Here's a good starting link: Uniden 536 - YouTube

RBMTS

Welcome to Radio Reference. I might add to the helpful suggestions above to also look at and read through many of the posts in the "Indiana" forum. There is many knowledgeable people in your area that can assist you. You can post questions in that forum for assistance.

You might also want to take a look at the Radio Reference WIKI (see the ribbon bar above). You will find many interesting articles about conventional, repeater, and trunked radio systems. Pretty soon it will all start making sense.

Good luck and good learning!

pathfinder46

It's really been interesting to see the development of scanners over 40 years. We've gone from simple 8 channel crystal controlled units to what we now have available. It seems that with each generation, there is so much more to learn.

Best advice is to practice, practice, practice. Be prepared for things to go wrong - they are great learning opportunities. The good news is that no matter how bad you mess up your programming, you won't hurt the scanner - just your pride and patience. As time goes along, you'll "get it".

I echo N0UDG's advice, particularly with YouTube. There are many great videos there that I found very helpful and are excellent tutorials on how to operate the scanner. Uniden Upman's are pretty good and K4DPS has a bunch of them covering lots of subjects.

Here's a good starting link: Uniden 536 - YouTube
I've been there and have watched several I am learning but at a snails pace, I guess I am too eager! I will keep watching till I get some things lined out! Thank you!

pathfinder46

Welcome to Radio Reference. I might add to the helpful suggestions above to also look at and read through many of the posts in the "Indiana" forum. There is many knowledgeable people in your area that can assist you. You can post questions in that forum for assistance.

You might also want to take a look at the Radio Reference WIKI (see the ribbon bar above). You will find many interesting articles about conventional, repeater, and trunked radio systems. Pretty soon it will all start making sense.

Good luck and good learning!
I will have look for that Indiana forum and see what I can find! Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.