uniden_usbser.zip fails to provide driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1JHG

Premium Subscriber
In attempting to update BCD996P2 firmware, Uniden supplies info regarding loading the driver uniden_usbser.zip. Extracting creates file folder uniden_usbser. Opening the file reveals two files: uniden_usbser.cat and uniden_usbser.inf neither of which contains driver(s). Device Manager does not show any evidence of drivers. Initial tech support was unable to assist and my 'case' has been "....referred to corporate." I am, awaiting a response. Any help in the meantime is deeply appreciated.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes, but they do NOT seem to appear there...I was instructed to look for "yellow" triangle....buty none is apparent.
Do you have a cable connected from the scanner front port to a USB port as buddrousa asked in post #2

a417

U+0000
Thank you. I was advised they would appear "yellow triangle" but not are apparent. Is there a designated place?
This would only be applicable if the OS was aware that there was a misconfiguration. If a generic driver accidentally picks it up, the OS thinks all is ok, it has no idea that it's not the driver that you want.

Perhaps it is under "Other devices" or "Portable Devices" (or maybe hidden elsewhere in the Device Manager). If you're getting the device connected chime, and it's enumerating with the OS, it's going to show up there. Keep the Device Manager window open whilst you plug the device in and see if you can see where it pops up.

W1JHG

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a cable connected from the scanner front port to a USB port as buddrousa asked in post #2
Yes, and I reconnected it several times.
This would only be applicable if the OS was aware that there was a misconfiguration. If a generic driver accidentally picks it up, the OS thinks all is ok, it has no idea that it's not the driver that you want.

Perhaps it is under "Other devices" or "Portable Devices" (or maybe hidden elsewhere in the Device Manager). If you're getting the device connected chime, and it's enumerating with the OS, it's going to show up there. Keep the Device Manager window open whilst you plug the device in and see if you can see where it pops up.
The connecting chime does "sound" but I can't see any change in the Device Manager listing. Do you know how/what the drivers are labeled?

W1JHG

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and I reconnected it several times.
The connecting chime does "sound" but I can't see any change in the Device Manager listing. Do you know how/what the drivers are labeled?
I did find "Uniden Serial Port (COM 5)" in PORTS and am moving to the next step....stay tuned...Thanks for your help!!

W1JHG

Premium Subscriber
I did find "Uniden Serial Port (COM 5)" in PORTS and am moving to the next step....stay tuned...Thanks for your help!!
I guess I am just destined to fail! I followed instructions to download and unzip BC_VUP3 Firmware..get two files ... select the Installer package and get a choice of "Repair" or "Remove", selected "Repair", receive a message that BC_VUP3 has been successfully installed. Instructions then are to "run the installer' BUT, again, I am at a loss where it is located. Sorry to be such a pest!!

a417

U+0000
From another thread

I posted nearly the exact same thing yesterday, start at the "Properties" tab under the driver for the Uniden Serial port (COM 5) you found.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Instructions then are to "run the installer' BUT, again, I am at a loss where it is located. Sorry to be such a pest!!

If you just installed BC_VPU3 then it should show up under "Recently Added" in your Start Menu.

If you don't see it there, click "Start" and Scroll down to "Uniden" and you should see BC_VUP3.

W1JHG

Premium Subscriber
If you just installed BC_VPU3 then it should show up under "Recently Added" in your Start Menu.

If you don't see it there, click "Start" and Scroll down to "Uniden" and you should see BC_VUP3.
BINGO! Thanks very much! Thanks to all who responded. This is one of the better, more responsive, and more knowledgeable Forums that I've seen in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.