Unidentified 13670 station

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

Right now at 22:13 UTC on Nov. 17 I'm hearing a broadcast station on 13670 kHz with a strong continuous tone in the background. The audio of the voice is very garbled, but it sounds like the language may be Spanish. I've found no listing for this time and frequency. There's some fading, but it's coming in with the same signal strength on both my R75 with 23 ft. of wire and my portable with just the whip. The tone is not from a heterodyne, and my radios are in AM mode. Does anyone else hear this?

Last edited:

Boombox

If memory serves, that's a Radio Havana frequency. And Radio Havana has had some issues over the past year or so with their equipment, with distorted modulation and the like on some of their transmissions.

GB46

Most likely correct, per World of Radio reflector logging yesterday....Mike
Thanks. That was the worst distortion I've ever heard from RHC. The only clue I had that it was likely in Spanish was the rhythm and inflection of the voices, as I didn't hear a single word that was recognizably Spanish. While listening to it, I tried to clarify it a bit by switching to USB and zero-beatng the signal, but that made it even worse.

majoco

Stirrer
MWV African Pathways Radio broadcast from Madagascar, English service to west Africa according to EiBi but the station has an American callsign, although it could have been in Arabic to the Middle East, depending on the time.

GB46

MWV African Pathways Radio broadcast from Madagascar, English service to west Africa according to EiBi but the station has an American callsign, although it could have been in Arabic to the Middle East, depending on the time.
MWV is a Christian broadcaster, appearing in the list at different times under various names and with various target areas. One of the listings, for example, is "MWV World Christian Bc", targeting South America with Portuguese programming. Another is "MWV New Life Station" directed at Eastern Europe in Russian. All of them, according to EiBi, originate from Madagascar. I've only heard them on 13670 during our late-morning hours (19:00-20:00 UTC).

They're all over the place, and also operate as New Life Station beamed to Eastern Europe in Russian, but the same Russian service is broadcast to Russia by KNLS in Alaska. The organization behind all those broadcasts must have a huge budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.