Unidentified AWIN TGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray6077

Premium Subscriber
Did anybody pick up any new TG during the winter storm? I heard 16601 (which is not in database) and one side ID themselves as Poinsett 2. I don't know if it was OEM or SO. Maybe their SO is about to get on AWIN?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Which means the SO in most of the counties that have not gone all out AWIN.. The TG may officially be for the OEM,.. But 90% of the time its the SO that will primarily use it, but only higher ranking officers will have radios, such as in Garland and quite a few others.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Did anybody pick up any new TG during the winter storm? I heard 16601 (which is not in database) and one side ID themselves as Poinsett 2. I don't know if it was OEM or SO. Maybe their SO is about to get on AWIN?

When the tornadoes ripped thru Crittenden Co. in 2008 their OEM was using TGID 20201, and I presently hear the SO on there as well - especially in Turrell - doing undercover operations / surveillance. The SO units are all 600's just like normal.

Cross Co. TGID 20001 is used mainly (from my monitoring) by our OES / CERT team. Our OEM Mgr. is Cross 1 and his assistant is Cross 2. So far I haven't heard the SO on there, atho when they finally do start my bet is that they'll be encrypted. :mad:

Speaking of encryption.....
For some reason Cross 1 has his radio set to full time encryption (which annoys me to no end!!), but all other units are in the clear. This leads me to think that capable AWIN radios will decrypt incoming traffic even if that radio isn't transmitting encrypted. :confused:

INDY72

Do other units reply to his transmissions or just dispatch? He may have his set to rx clear tx encrypted. This is the case with a lot of other set ups both on digital systems and analog. Example... Lincoln County MS- L-1 the sheriff, used to have his radios set to TX enc full time, RX clear. All other units had full clear both sides, and dispatch had set for clear with RX able to get clear and enc. They run analog conventional. There are many other examples where some systems dispatch clear and units are full enc.

gray6077

Premium Subscriber
When the tornadoes ripped thru Crittenden Co. in 2008 their OEM was using TGID 20201, and I presently hear the SO on there as well - especially in Turrell - doing undercover operations / surveillance. The SO units are all 600's just like normal.

You are correct. I hear them regularly either doing surveillance (in Lake Shore trailer park a lot of the time) or when the conventional frequencies are real busy, just to communicate without walking all over each other.

And, now that you mention it, I do hear one side encrypted and the reply is in the clear on Cross Co.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Do other units reply to his transmissions or just dispatch? He may have his set to rx clear tx encrypted. This is the case with a lot of other set ups both on digital systems and analog. Example... Lincoln County MS- L-1 the sheriff, used to have his radios set to TX enc full time, RX clear. All other units had full clear both sides, and dispatch had set for clear with RX able to get clear and enc. They run analog conventional. There are many other examples where some systems dispatch clear and units are full enc.

It's always OES / CERT units responding back - always in the clear. Cross 1 is always encrypted.

It has to be someone tinkered with his radio and mistakenly set it to TXcrypt.

I'm just guessing that the radio will decrypt any signal on a TGID it's affiliated with. Anyone here know what I mean?

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
You are correct. I hear them regularly either doing surveillance (in Lake Shore trailer park a lot of the time) or when the conventional frequencies are real busy, just to communicate without walking all over each other.

And, now that you mention it, I do hear one side encrypted and the reply is in the clear on Cross Co.

The first time I heard it I thought it was my radio not decoding the P25 signal. The more I listened I figured out what was up and who it was. This was back when they had a week long search operation at Village Creek looking for that guy that drowned in Lake Austell......never did find him.

Lake Shore.....ah, the arm pit of Crittenden Co.!!

Did you hear the stolen church bus chase that ended up in Earle? Lotsa SO traffic on AWIN - had conventional net directed for a while too.

About 5 - 6 pm one weeknight, 2 or 3 weeks ago......ended up being a foot chase / manhunt. I got out of range before it was over so I don't know the outcome.

btritch

The first time I heard it I thought it was my radio not decoding the P25 signal. The more I listened I figured out what was up and who it was. This was back when they had a week long search operation at Village Creek looking for that guy that drowned in Lake Austell......never did find him.

Lake Shore.....ah, the arm pit of Crittenden Co.!!

Did you hear the stolen church bus chase that ended up in Earle? Lotsa SO traffic on AWIN - had conventional net directed for a while too.

About 5 - 6 pm one weeknight, 2 or 3 weeks ago......ended up being a foot chase / manhunt. I got out of range before it was over so I don't know the outcome.

From what I hear Crittenden County Doesn't Use Analog anymore for SO, Just AWIN. That's what I hear from W. memphis FD Lt. Could be wrong though.

It's like anything OEM 1 says is scrambled and nobody else is and everybody can hear him except you. I know exactly.

INDY72

Its a sweet way for the Boss Dog to say anything he /she wishes without the gen pop having a clue. Set your HT/mobile to RX clear, TX enc., with all units on that tg having the RX set to enc. so that all transmissions come in whether enc. or clear. And of course you have to keep your TX clear unless told to go enc. Same as the example I posted for how Lincoln County MS SO has theirs done on conventional. Its not that common for this to be done this way, but it does happen. And per an Garland County Deputy, Crittenden SO only uses the conventional for interop with with non AWIN agencies, and as an backup. They are AWIN now.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Crittenden SO only uses the conventional for interop with with non AWIN agencies, and as an backup. They are AWIN now.

I listen to and from work and have not noticed SO totally on AWIN. I heard traffic this morning on their conventional channel.

gray6077, what about you - still hearing SO on conventional?

As far as the encryption goes, all routine traffic ought to be in the clear. Taxpayer pay their salary - we ought to be able to listen to what we pay for. Anything less would make it seem like they're hiding something.

INDY72

LOL as for the encryption I agree... But hey I be just joe schmoe, the powers that be wont listen just me.. If we all band together at the ballot box then we got a voice. I have siad many times save encryption for sensitive comms. And never ever encrypt fireground type stuff.. Though there are a few FD's that encrypt full time all the time...

gray6077

Premium Subscriber
I listen to and from work and have not noticed SO totally on AWIN. I heard traffic this morning on their conventional channel.

gray6077, what about you - still hearing SO on conventional?

As far as the encryption goes, all routine traffic ought to be in the clear. Taxpayer pay their salary - we ought to be able to listen to what we pay for. Anything less would make it seem like they're hiding something.
The conventional CritCo SO frequencies are very much active. They use AWIN sparingly right now. As bubbaearle has referred to, surveillance and such is the primary use for the AWIN channel.

btritch

I agree with this, Our SO uses a secondary UHF channel and it's full time encrypted, Didn't used to be until right around thanksgiving this year, now it is, Ticks me off. It should be open, I help pay for it, I should be able to hear it, I agree, Encrypt means hiding...Hiding makes you wonder...wondering is no good.

INDY72

NEW Saline Co TG

Logged this off the Magnet Tower:

Didnt log any voice on it yet, but I'd hazzard a guess its Benton PD?

Status
Not open for further replies.