UNIDENTIFIED dispatchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VHFDxer

Today, here in The Netherlands, there were again good conditions to receive low band VHF stations from the USA, especially from MA, NY en CT.
I could identify several stations but I have a question about two stations.
On the following recording I wonder if it is Quinebaug Valley Ambulance ( I heard this on 33.80 Mhz)

http://webdisk.planet.nl/mvarnhem/publiek/album/Ambulance 33.80 4 nov 11 1503UTC.mp3

Also I heard a station on 33.62 Mhz which I can't understand. There are quite some names in the recording, like a 500 Dickinson Road, but I can't find out which station this is:

http://webdisk.planet.nl/mvarnhem/publiek/album/33.62 4 nov 11 1509UTC.mp3

Hope you can help me,
Max
The Netherlands

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
The first recording is for the Town of Vernon Ambulance. I believe they are dispatched by "Station TN" which is the Tolland County, CT regional dispatch (Tolland County Mutual Aid Fire Service). You hear them say 33.44 which the ambulances switch to that frequency for operations. 33.800 is utilized as the primary dispatch channel for many eastern Connecticut departments.

As for the second dispatch on 33.62, that is not a Connecticut dispatch center. Sounds like that could be from Maine, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire or Vermont even possibly upstate New York. I heard the dispatcher say "Upper xxxxxxxx Township" which would lead me to believe that it could be from Pennsylvania. I'm only guessing on that one.

NMPhillieFan

The Child Learning Center is in North Wales, Pennsylvania...not sure of the dispatch center. I think its in Montgomery County. Northwest of Philadelphia.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The dispatch on 33.62 is from Upper Gwynedd Township in Montgomery County, PA. According to the Montgomery County Wiki page, Station 80 is Upper Gwynedd Township Fire/EMS. They're using a PL of 136.5 on that frequency. There's nothing listed in the RR DB for that frequency, however it is licensed to Lower Providence FD in the same county as a 100w base station under call sign KGE954.

KGE954 (LOWER PROVIDENCE FIRE DEPARTMENT) FCC Callsign Details

Here's a map showing the location of the landing zone in that call, at 500 Dickerson Dr near Industrial Dr

industrial drive Township of Upper Gwynedd, Upper Gwynedd, Montgomery, Pennsylvania - Google Maps

VHFDxer

Many thanks for all your help.
Yes, with a map and listening to the mentioned names it is clear !!

Thanks again,
Max
The Netherlands

VHFDxer

Hi Jeff,

Now the sunspots and, hence the solar flux, rises VHF reception is possible again over long distances.
Between 1988 and 1991 I heard an enormous amount of stations between 30 and 50 mhz.
Than I sent receptionreports to stations which I could identify.
This resulted in many verifications letters from US police, fire etc.
Even US newspapers were interested and published articles about my reception here in The Netherlands.

A radio journey from New York

Here you can find some information about my trip to the USA and experience at one of the Fire stations.

In the period 1988 - 1991 I lstened with an ICOM R7000 and a vertical log periodic antenna ( 25-2000 mhz).
Nowadays I am listening with the Software Defined Radio Perseus .
The antenna is very simple: a home made single wire 33 mhz dipole, hanging from a tree 45 degrees.
The easiest are the Fire stations on 33 mhz, but very difficult are other stations like this one that I heard on 30.10 mhz this afternoon:

http://webdisk.planet.nl/mvarnhem/publiek/album/30.10 5 nov 11 US.mp3

Any suggestions?

Good listening,
Max
The Netherlands

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Max its great that you can pick up us all the way over the pond!! The real treat over hear on the East coast is listening to the dispatches from the South West US and also the Brazilian fishermen in the summer months on the 33MHz band! LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.