Unidentified freq: 165.700 MHz P25 ENC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuttleje

I have been receiving a very strong signal on 165.700 MHz in Williamsburg. It's P25 transmission and does not appear to be trunked.... and is always encrypted. There is a moderate amount of traffic. Any ideas?

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
tuttleje said:
I have been receiving a very strong signal on 165.700 MHz in Williamsburg. It's P25 transmission and does not appear to be trunked.... and is always encrypted. There is a moderate amount of traffic. Any ideas?

I am thinking that its either the FBI or Secret Service.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Could it be Camp Peary with a new channel?

Also is it still active? Might have been some Presidential support from yesterday.

tuttleje

Could be Camp Peary...they run P25 on some of their other freqs. However, as long as they run encryption....we'll never know (which I'm sure is the reason it's encrypted). I don't know how long it's been running. I got bored today and searched between 165.00 MHz and 174.00 MHz. That's how I found this freq and 168.7625 MHz mentioned in another post.

gcgrotz

Not that I would really know since I'm not down that way but... could it be the Yorktown Naval weapons depot? If there was ever a place where you wanted encryption that would be it.

tuttleje

BINGO!....At 0931 hours I'm listening on 165.700 MHz P25 and they are doing a radio check/roll call of every Federal Installation/Major Federal Organization in the Tidewater area. For security purposes, the identity of the organizations will not be disclosed. However, this is a link frequency to literally everyone! It's called the Department of Justice InterOp Channel. Mystery Solved.

Last edited:

dtscho

Database Admin
I heard the same thing this morning from Fredericksburg. It was really broken, but I could tell it was a roll call. The ducting sure has been good!

Dave

tuttleje

Thinking about this a little while (I'm a little slow at times), I'm sure that DOJ has set up similar "Interop Channels" in other metropolitan areas that have a substantial military presence (i.e. Washington, D.C.). Suggest a search between 165.00 MHz and 168.000 MHz for unidentified P25 channels. I'll check and see if they do another "roll call" next Wednesday at 09:30 hours.

tuttleje

Even more info can be found here:

http://www.search.org/conferences/2006interop/DOJ 25 Cities Fact Sheets.pdf

Page 10 lists all the potential users in the Hampton Roads area and advises that the system will use conventional digital narrowband repeaters with 10 voted receivers spread around the area. It will be hosted and maintained by the FBI. Further, DOJ has purchased 50 radio base stations for various users.

The other pages provide information on numerous other major cities.

Looks like many of the cities will have a similar structure as Hampton Roads.

Good reading.

Last edited:

W4UVV

more

tuttleje said:
BINGO!....At 0931 hours I'm listening on 165.700 MHz P25 and they are doing a radio check/roll call of every Federal Installation/Major Federal Organization in the Tidewater area. For security purposes, the identity of the organizations will not be disclosed. However, this is a link frequency to literally everyone! It's called the Department of Justice InterOp Channel. Mystery Solved.

165.7000 mhz. normally infrequently is used by local FBI data technicians for their comms. This is a good frequency choice for interops as previously stated the frequency was seldom used by the data technicians. What's new is its use for interops.

CVASSB

Another frequency

I'm hearing another frequency this week that is P25,and Enc. The frequency is 164.900 MHz,and It's loud up here. At the same time 163.675 MHz. is active,but is also P25,and Enc.

tuttleje

WVEC TV had a news report on the noon news broadcast about the Interop radio system. They were interviewing an FBI employee and were talking about the radio system linking all the agencies in the area. They advised it was tested once a month. I hope WVEC will post something on their web-page.

W4UVV

id

CVASSB said:
I'm hearing another frequency this week that is P25,and Enc. The frequency is 164.900 MHz,and It's loud up here. At the same time 163.675 MHz. is active,but is also P25,and Enc.

I don't know where "here" is but 163.6750 mhz. is ICE DC/eastern Va. with several different P25 input frequencies depending on the locations.

CVASSB

New unknown frequencies poping-up.

First of all,I would like to say that I'm glad that the Federal Government has frequencies like this that are secure,and they can talk about sensitive investigative information that we cannot here. It's important,and good for all of us who are law abiding citizens,and saves lives,and helps them to solve cases,and put criminals behind bars. I understand that totally,and agree with it. We who are radio enthusiasts, enjoy radio,scientific phenomenon envolved with radio waves,want to know whats going on around us,and are capable of understanding radio,and probably got started a long time ago with our radio hobbies. I got started in the mid-60's. I know that there are some that got started in the 1920's,or before if they are still alive. I am not a expert. I enjoy radio. We are always trying to learn more,at different times in our life. It is a fascinating hobby. Thanks tuttleje. These P25 Enc. systems are all I hear in the 160 MHz. area ,except for the NOAA weather radio frequencies,and 166.900 which is a National Park frequency I think ,that is both digital voice,and they go to Enc. sometimes. W4UVV,I'm about 15 miles southeast of Charlottesville. What does the ICE abbreviation mean? I've never heard of it.

tuttleje

Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) falls under the Department of Homeland Security. It is a merger of the Immigrations and Naturalization Service (INS) and U.S. Customs. The merger was directed by the Homeland Security Act of 2002. They handle immigrations issues and customs violations.

Last edited:

tuttleje

For those interested in listening, if the once a month roll call test holds true to form, there should be another test of the Justice Interop channel on 165.700 MHz P25 at 09:30 A.M. EST on Wednesday (December 19, 2007). I would be very interested in the reception range of this system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.