Unidentified scanner signal\noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfpinlh

I've attached a zip file of an very small mp3 file I recorded while listening to my locan sheriff dispatch on 155.6100. The system isn't digital. This is pretty irritating and was just wondering what it is. Thanks!

MFP

Attachments

• Scanner noise.zip
    85.8 KB · Views: 103

mfpinlh

Thanks! Interesting. Considering the fact that the county hasn't gone to a digital system (no money, very poor county) where might this be coming from? When an agency is issued a license and freq don't the issuing authorities make sure there's no overlap? Your sample sure does sound like what I recorded.

MFP

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Thanks! Interesting. Considering the fact that the county hasn't gone to a digital system (no money, very poor county) where might this be coming from? When an agency is issued a license and freq don't the issuing authorities make sure there's no overlap? Your sample sure does sound like what I recorded.

MFP

It could be a different agency 7.5KHz away. What agency are you listening to?

mfpinlh

Bandera County TX Sheriff dispatch. About 50 miles west of San Antonio. Not much out here...

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Bandera County TX Sheriff dispatch. About 50 miles west of San Antonio. Not much out here...

DPS has a site on Chinati Mountain on 155.60625, it's a good distance away but it's also at an elevation of 6000+ feet.

Not much here??? How about the OST Restaurant? :wink:

There is also a license for Atascosa County on 155.6175, but no confirmed usage. That one, if actually used, would be a good candidate.

mfpinlh

hahahahaha Great burgers at the OST!!!

You think I could be catching some bleed through from a close freq or a harmonics from somewhere? I'm not scanning just locked on 155.6100.

I never invested in a digital scanner because there was never anything out here to pick up. Now the DPS has switched over.... do you think that signal I've been receiving as noise could be decoded by a digital scanner? I guess I'd better pray for an increase in my Social Security! hahaha

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
hahahahaha Great burgers at the OST!!!

You think I could be catching some bleed through from a close freq or a harmonics from somewhere? I'm not scanning just locked on 155.6100.

I never invested in a digital scanner because there was never anything out here to pick up. Now the DPS has switched over.... do you think that signal I've been receiving as noise could be decoded by a digital scanner? I guess I'd better pray for an increase in my Social Security! hahaha

I don't think anything is digital close enough to you to cause issues, unless you're on the west side of the county (out by Tarpley), then the GATRRS site might cause some grief.

It's hard to say whether a digital scanner would decode what you are hearing as it could be encrypted.

My annual trip to the Frio River is coming up so I'll give a listen on the way and see it I can deduce anything (and we always make a trip to Medina for an apple pie).

mfpinlh

I'm on the east side of the county in Lakehills west of where Medina Lake used to be before it dried up. As far as I know the Frio still has running water. Good luck with your trip! Hope the folks that make the pie are still in business. Bandera County has seen some pretty hard times. At least you all still get rain in the Houston area! I'm envious!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A couple of thoughts come to mind and I'm admitting they are wild thoughts.

It could be some form of encryption.

If this happened for a brief period of time (as in you've never heard it before, heard it for a little while and haven't heard it again). Some out of town folks might have been travelling through your area in a couple of vehicles. They were using their radios to communicate back and forth (as in "Let's get some food" or "we gotta make a pit stop"). You just happened to pick up on those transmissions.

mfpinlh

Thanks for the input. This has been happening for years. I should have made that clear. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just now decided to try and see if anyone else was familiar with it because it is so irritating. I know there's no way to avoid it but was just curious as to what might be happening.

MFP

k8zgw

Just data

This could be any kind of data, something as data from a water tower
or some sort of an alarm. It doesn't even have to have a voice component.
Check the fcc database to see who might have a license for that frequency.
in your area.
Because it seems that "everybody" lives in some secret location.
I don't know what everybody is afraid of? I can't be of much help
as there are 568 license's for 155.61

Don, K8ZGW

mfpinlh

Thanks for the idea. Just checked the license database and the closest to me on that freq is voice and about 80 miles away. It was worth a try. Never have picked up voice other than Bandera County on 155.6100.

Status
Not open for further replies.