Unidentified State Police Talkgroup IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosenza

Several talkgroup ids have shown up on my scanner. I am able to find most, but have a few that do not correspond to anything in the talkgroup ID list for the New Jersey State Police. I am curious if there is something happening that I don't know about. Could these be transmissions that are overunning other frequencies? Anyway, the ids are as follows: 52144, 61472, 30928, and 26912. I have definitely heard transmissions on these ids. My scanner is programmed correctly. I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Which system are you monitoring, Troop A,B or C. What kind of traffic did you hear when they were active?

cosenza

IDs

I am monitoring Group B. It is the North and there is also a repeater in Newton. I have seen a few more ids that did not show up in the radioreference guide. It sounded exactly like the state police. I have a hold, and use delay, but, it seems not to hold on some of these. Either that or I am not quick enough. The frequencies I have programmed are in the order I have them put them into the channels. They are the following: 856.4625, 856.9625, 857.4625, 857.9625, 858.4625, 858.9625, 859.4625, 859.9625, 860.4625, 860.9625, 866.5625, 862.2375, 867.7625. I have a pro-94 that I programmed to a Motorola 800Mhz, Type II. The scanner doesn't need a fleet map for this type of system. I live fairly close to both the borders of Pennsylvania and New York, but as far as I know, they don't use the same frequencies. Thanks for your reply.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
The nj state pd are always adding new talkgroups and its hard to have an updated list.Outside this website I look at nj scanning forums and east coast scanning to add more info. They also are adding more p25 talkgroups.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I can't be much help as I can only monitor the B troop simulcasts that come over C troop. I keep an eye out for them though.

cosenza

Sorry I can't be much help as I can only monitor the B troop simulcasts that come over C troop. I keep an eye out for them though.
Not a problem. I appreciate the effort. I believe tommyscan helped. I did not realize they update that often. One transmission I did not expect to pick up was rather exciting. I managed to get the criminal investigations bureau. Very interesting when active.

cosenza

This guide is updated very often, and the info is excellent:

http://wc2em.net:8080/scanner/NJSP.pdf

I appreciate that. However, I am already a member of this yahoo group that is run by the individual who creates this. I have found an identification for some of my frequencies through this valuable tool. I get the feeling that I am missing something still though. I have definitely heard transmissions on some id's that don't even match the id form that the state police use. 4-digit id's as oppposed to 5. My scanner is programmed correctly, but I have a theory that possibly, I am picking up mirrors of other frequencies somehow. Thank you again for the info. Always a site full of helpful people.

Last edited:

cosenza

The nj state pd are always adding new talkgroups and its hard to have an updated list.Outside this website I look at nj scanning forums and east coast scanning to add more info. They also are adding more p25 talkgroups.

Thank you. I have found a few more this way. I still have odd frequencies showing up though. Please refer to my above comment.

Last edited:

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
There can be a number of explanations: bad reception on the scanner, Radio techs doing work on the system, someone programming the wrong hex value somewhere either on a radio or maybe the controller, or maybe someone just doing some tests. It isn't uncommon to see a talkgroup keyup and never see it again. There are also talkgroups that exist that I see affiliate all the time, yet I never hear activity on (29424 is one that comes to mind).

My suggestion is if you have a scanner that lets you program an alert tone (IE BCT396 etc), enter the talkgroups with an alert tone so you know when its in use. I wouldn't get too hung up on these talkgroups, when something new shows up and is in use, you will know it.

cosenza

There can be a number of explanations: bad reception on the scanner, Radio techs doing work on the system, someone programming the wrong hex value somewhere either on a radio or maybe the controller, or maybe someone just doing some tests. It isn't uncommon to see a talkgroup keyup and never see it again. There are also talkgroups that exist that I see affiliate all the time, yet I never hear activity on (29424 is one that comes to mind).QUOTE]

Thank you. That was definitely helpful. I have noticed that when these ids come up, it is only very briefly. That sounds like a likely idea. Also, I have a handheld scanner, so reception is most likely another solution, or perhaps a combination of the two. I will soon be buying an 800Mhz antenna. I notice that because of its shape, it tends to recieve that frequency much better. I have used this one before with excellent results.
Also, I have always been interested in going up to High Point with my scanner. It is not very far at all from me and I am wondering if my reception will be wonderful at the spot right near the monument where you overlook all three states, basically.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I don't know if anyone else caught it today, but 54864 was active today. It sounded like 2 users chatting while one was on the way to Staten Island. I heard this on Troop C late morning.

cosenza

I don't know if anyone else caught it today, but 54864 was active today. It sounded like 2 users chatting while one was on the way to Staten Island. I heard this on Troop C late morning.

I don't even have that id listed anywhere. Wondering what that might be?

cosenza

I checked the Northern New Jersey list, but was unable to locate this id. Also, several days ago, 27536 was active in the evening. They were apparently following someone home. Would anyone happen to know if there is any time that might be better to catch investigations ids?

Last edited:

cosenza

I just heard this talkgroup today. I know they are investigations as they were watching someone. I just don't have this listed anywhere. Any possible help? Thanks

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
According to Unitrunker, the ID's that affiliated with that talkgroup are new. I'll have to watch the ID's and see if they show up on other talkgroups.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what TGID 35955 is ?I hear it on Troop A and B. Its not in any database I can find. John aka nosoup4u ,your NJSP.xls DB is the 1st one I looked at.

Last edited:

robbinsj2

35955 is talkgroup 35952 (Marine Police North per the database here) with a status bit of 3. Google or search the wiki here to know what that status bit means, I think it may be patch or multiselect or something like that.

Real Motorola talkgroup IDs will always be multiples of 16. If you see an odd-numbered TGID you can immediately be sure it's another base TGID with a status bit.

Jim

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Well.. res148cue yes I did ! Thanks roddinsj2 , I do have the status bit on. So now I know what that does (-:
Thanks and 73s all

Status
Not open for further replies.