Unified Police TG name update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLHOOK

With the name change from the SO to the new Unified Police Dept, what does everyone think about updating the SO talk groups to UPD talk group names in the DB (ie. UPD Tac 1)

Junior1970

With the name change from the SO to the new Unified Police Dept, what does everyone think about updating the SO talk groups to UPD talk group names in the DB (ie. UPD Tac 1)

Maybe when they actually have vehicles that say Unified Police Department I'd think about it. Or if they get their police fee paid by the unincorps in the county so they can afford to in the first place. Seriously it's something to look forward to doing now that we know there were no TG changes.

Observer1

Vehicle and uniform changes won't start happening until July.

Some things have already changed, such as the agency warrants are issued under and the agency people are booked under at jail.

LGLHOOK

The only change I am wondering about is changing the title names in the DB from "Salt Lake County Sheriff Tac 1" to "Unified Police Tac 1", etc. I have heard most all other departments refer to them as UPD now so I thought a name/info change would also be in order.

Observer1

The only change I am wondering about is changing the title names in the DB from "Salt Lake County Sheriff Tac 1" to "Unified Police Tac 1", etc. I have heard most all other departments refer to them as UPD now so I thought a name/info change would also be in order.

Well, to be technical, Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake is their official name. (Try saying that quickly)

However, if memory serves (which it doesn't always) only the road guys will be UPD. The Jail and Protection divisions will remain Salt Lake County Sheriff's. Could cause a bit of confusion at times.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Well, to be technical, Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake is their official name. (Try saying that quickly)

However, if memory serves (which it doesn't always) only the road guys will be UPD. The Jail and Protection divisions will remain Salt Lake County Sheriff's. Could cause a bit of confusion at times.

Which brings up my confusion on of the issue. Does this mean that Salt Lake County no longer has a Sherriffs Department? Are they going to new Badges and Patches?

Observer1

Which brings up my confusion on of the issue. Does this mean that Salt Lake County no longer has a Sherriffs Department? Are they going to new Badges and Patches?

The Sheriff's Department still exists.

However, the road deputies will indeed have a new badge, patch, uniform and vehicle logos. Their uniforms will be a blue similar to SLCPD and WVC from what I hear. You should start seeing those changes in June and July.

They've done something similar to the switch from SL County Fire to the Unified Fire Authority. The main reason for the change was to allow each township/city that contracts for service to have say on a police commission.

The Sheriff's Department just doesn't have enough unincorporated areas of the county left to really make the Sheriffs Dept work without some contracts (Thank the legislature for their law requiring townships or annexation)....so they're trying to keep the contracts they do have by allowing greater control of those cities.

You won't see anymore of the township/city logos on the vehicles either.

Status
Not open for further replies.