Unified Statewide Comm System - will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Douglas County system. They can patch 39.9 into their system. They are having problems with patching the NSP into the system. They do have the ICALL/ITAC Frequencies and they have 155.475. Douglas county has updated their dispatch consoles in the past month. They added more channels for other agencies. Unknown if they work properly or not.
The reason why Cass county was forced to go to 800Mhz is part of the state's regional radio systems. In the southeastern part of the state all the counties are going to 800Mhz. Most look like conventional.
On July 13 Omaha, Bellevue, and various other agencies had a hazmat exercise. They used ITAC 1. The ICALL/ITAC frequencies that are use in the metro area are on repeaters.
Any simplex frequency should not be used for dispatching purposes.
The only problem with keeping everybody on low band until the state gets money for a statewide system is there are little to no manufactures of public safety radios that offer parts anymore and less that are selling radios. The FCC requires EVERY public safety agency to be using or have plans for narrowband in 2010, the year maybe wrong.

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
The only 4.9 GHz license I have found for Douglas County Nebraska is WQCS526.
MDT system. This will allow the supervisors, dispatcher, and other officers to see a live picture from the officer's dash camera. Also will be used for GPS and the usual MDT system uses.

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
That is my point, how often do you think Douglas, Washington, and Pott County would talk to Cass? So why have the expense? If anything they would be better off joining with Sarpy who already has a way of connecting with Douglas county. If they go with the Lancaster EDACS, you may begin to run into issues with the two different type trunking systems and trying to talk to the guy next to you..
Cass county is not joining the Omaha, Sarpy County , or Lacaster county trunking sytems. They are going with a P25 conventional. It's part of the regional plan the state came up with and DHS has forced agencies to go with P25, which is wrong not everyone needs it.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
Who's fault is that? DC is licensed for 39.9. Telephone State Radio and make their NSP cruiser go to Mutual Aid for DC. ( Or make a low band patch! *gasp* )
The NSP doesn't have 800 capabilities in their car nor a 800 prtable. The NSP officer was in a foot pursuit and far from his squad he could not change to 39.9. That's one of my big problems with mobile extenders you can't change channels with you portable.

twister19

Well before we start thinking out side the box we need to start thinking of how the heck we are going to be able to talk to our selves. I think the state should worry about merging Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Cass, Lancaster, Washington, Dodge, and Pott. County into some type of agreement on how they are going to interop with each other since they all have different 800 systems. Everyone else can use 39.98 or 39.9, or should have the ability to patch their VHF or UHF channels together.

SCPD

QRT
twister19 said:
Well before we start thinking out side the box we need to start thinking of how the heck we are going to be able to talk to our selves. I think the state should worry about merging Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Cass, Lancaster, Washington, Dodge, and Pott. County into some type of agreement on how they are going to interop with each other since they all have different 800 systems. Everyone else can use 39.98 or 39.9, or should have the ability to patch their VHF or UHF channels together.
They do. Its called the ICALL/ITAC frequencies Except Dodge and to get a hold of Pot they us 155.475. I know Douglas, Sarpy, and Washington counties have patches for low band. Cass and Saunders counties still have low band in their squad cars. Unknown what the Dodge county is doing but I wouldn't be surprised if Saunders and Washington county have patches for them.

43g70

The Sheriff office in Dodge has more problem than out of county interop. They are on high band when the rural fires all use UHF. I love how poeple are concerned how can I talk to that county that doesn't touch my borders. Uh for example, lets look at Cuming Law Enforcement. They are on UHF while East(Burt) is UHF/Low Band which they have. But their Neighbors to the North(THurston), South(Dodge, Colfax) are on High band. Then you have Staton to the west who use low band for dispatch and the EMA/Roads Repeater for chatting.

What do they have planned for thise, Low band exist in all those cars, so 39.9 is the answer.

I personally like this regional idea. You will have the ability to talk to those you need 98% of the time. The other 2% can not be planned for. So for 2% time in comes, 155.745, 39.9, 39.98, and 39.82 or new common freq for fire and law. You keep the low band in the truck or cop car and use your VHF hi band or UHF or 800 for your neighbors you have a plan with. To me taking the lowband out of vehilces is waste, it is paid for. It also doesn't need any tower to work unlike your repeated Mutal Aid resources.

43g70

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
43g70 said:
What do they do for a plan, Low band exist in all those cars, so 39.9 is the answer.
The only problem is the Federal Gov. is forcing agencies to get p25 systems or narrowband FM. Last thing I heard is Low band VHF is not narrowband compliant.

Every public safety agency in the country should have the VHF, UHF, or 800 mutual aid frequencies in their radios. There should be a nationwide repeater system crossbanding the band. The repeaters themselves do not have to be link just the bands.

That would be a TRUE true mutual aid system.

43g70

If they are making everyone go p25 or narrowband how can Colfax and the group it belongs (8 counties from Colfax to Merrick) go VHF Wideband Analog. This is using their DHS funds. I love how people only look at the populate areas on what is going on and say this must be right for evrerywere. Platte county just got 3 or 4 new VHF frequencies licensed. Polk County just added new freq as well.

Look at the state, Seward and York have analog 800 that was only put i recently.

If you spend a little time on FCC.gov and seach county by county, you will see new stuff is not all P25 or narrowband. I do see narrowbanding happening but it will be needed, not just a sales pitch as P25 is.

43g70

SCPD

QRT
43g70 said:
If you spend a little time on FCC.gov and seach county by county, you will see new stuff is not all P25 or narrowband. I do see narrowbanding happening but it will be needed, not just a sales pitch as P25 is.
I said that the federal government is making everybody go narrowband not P25. The public agencies are forced to buy narrowband radio equipment by DHS. So, show me a low band radio that is narrowband compliant.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:
I said that the federal government is making everybody go narrowband not P25. The public agencies are forced to buy narrowband radio equipment by DHS.

There's that word again "forced". A few posts back didn't you say the state is "forcing" these counties into 800MHz?

KG4WHM said:
So, show me a low band radio that is narrowband compliant.

Again, why the need for low-band when these counties are being "forced" into 800MHz?

Notice there is no mention of ham radio in the state's little interop plan. Why is that Nate?

It would make more sense if mutual aid channels were:
• analog
• not narrowband
• CSQ
• simplex

If you or your department is relying on a repeater, or some cool nifty little radio that does P25 or mixed mode, is narrowband, and has the 156.7 PL on there, you're in some serious trouble. I would be better off knowing that I can hear other people and get their attention on a wideband, analog, CSQ simplex radio than putting my life or the lives of others on the line for a repeater to fail, or making the mutual aid channels so tied up and restricted as having a PL or narrowband. Good Luck.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Heh Crossbanding PS

KG4WHM said:
There should be a nationwide repeater system crossbanding the band.

Oh holy mother of... are you kidding me? How many repeaters and towers should I have to pay for just because some county doesn't want to spend the money to do it right the first time? I'll pay for a dozen alltel cellphones before I say go this route.

What if a tornado wipes out just one of these "interop repeaters"?

What if some kid gets a hold of a rogue radio and decides to play?

Who pays for all of this? Don't think the farmers are we're getting tired of paying the already high fuel taxes!

Who owns all of this system?

Where would you draw the line as to who has rights and access to such system? Would the Red Cross be able to use it as well? What about local emergency agencies that are not first responders?

Can you really tell me Nate that throwing some money and putting up a few repeaters to link the bands together is your answer to the current situation? Surely you don't think this is the solid solution.

If Nebraska really wanted to move forward they could. They have the towers. You all mentioned earlier about the already existing NSP, NWGP, NET towers, etc. But you could also use NOAA Wx radio transmitter sites like the one near UNO. (You can generally always get NOAA Wx Radio so they must have some good coverage and tower sites). Why not force school districts into housing some of the remotes or bases? You want school dollars, here house this little black box and antenna on your tower. Make the local EOCs house some of this stuff. They're the ones screaming for the DHS funds and interop solution. There are a million things they can do if they would only get started today... =\

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
43g70 said:
155.745, 39.9, 39.98, and 39.82 or new common freq for fire and law. You keep the low band in the truck or cop car and use your VHF hi band or UHF or 800 for your neighbors you have a plan with.

OR... you could use the 706... Yeah, use ham radio! =p

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
There's that word again "forced". A few posts back didn't you say the state is "forcing" these counties into 800MHz?
Yes the state of Nebraska is forcing these counties into 800Mhz. If they do not get radio equipment for 800MHz they do not receive any of the money at all. The DHS funds they have to buy narrowband compliant radios. They do NOT have to buy P25 radios.

NeFire242 said:
If you or your department is relying on a repeater, or some cool nifty little radio that does P25 or mixed mode, is narrowband, and has the 156.7 PL on there, you're in some serious trouble. I would be better off knowing that I can hear other people and get their attention on a wideband, analog, CSQ simplex radio than putting my life or the lives of others on the line for a repeater to fail, or making the mutual aid channels so tied up and restricted as having a PL or narrowband. Good Luck.
On Mutual Aid frequencies there should be a PL tone. The same tone for every Mutual Aid frequencies. The nation wide 800MHz has a PL tone of 156.7 except on the "calling" freq.
You can program the radio to use a repeater and then have a talkaround freq. On the Motorola Spectra, the new XTL, other series of mobile radios there is a button one the faceplate (A5, A7, A9, maybe A4) that say "Dir" which means direct. You push that button and you are talking on the repeaters out put for a talkaround.

Yokoshibu

I did some looking and there are a lot of things in the area that are being done under fcc part 15.... ie 4.8-5.2 ghz wireless lan junk

Status
Not open for further replies.