Union County NJICS Upgrades / Leonia funded radio project

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Just saw this from the awarded grants, etc from the federal govt's new 1.5trilion spending bill. Figured this may be of interest to people in Union County or Leonia.
https://www.booker.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/nj_funded_projects_cb_rm.pdf < listing of NJ projects.

Union County – Law Enforcement Interoperable Communications Upgrade - $1,270,000
The project involves the purchase of equipment to establish a new radio site to enhance interoperable communications coverage for law enforcement in the western portion of Union County and to make equipment upgrades to the existing three radio sites to enhance overall performance of the expanded network. Importantly, the project would increase coverage in New Providence, Berkeley Heights, and Summit, communities where there are gaps in coverage and capacity limitations in the existing network. The project will increase coverage on the NJ Interoperability Communications System used by 84% of law enforcement agencies in the county. The additional radio site will improve interoperability not only across police agencies, but among the public safety disciplines that serve Union County. It is critical to the safe operation of police services that officers from various jurisdictions be able to communicate real time to promote officer awareness and safety. The project is an excellent use of taxpayer funds because by augmenting our coverage footprint public safety will improve. Upgrades to the existing 3 radio sites will also enhance performance in communities across the entire network.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Borough of Leonia
Strengthening Public Safety Communication Project - $251,000
This project will enable the Office of Emergency Management (OEM), Emergency Medial Services (EMS), the Leonia Police Department, and Leonia Fire Department to operate on the same band of frequency. In addition to this, the Strengthening Public Safety Communications Project will further advance Borough goals of interoperability by allowing direct communication between our public safety professionals and the Bergen County Communications Center. This will increase the health and safety of community members.The Borough considers this project to be a high priority as it will impact not just Leonia residents, but the greater part of Bergen County. Completing this project will significantly increase interoperability between local and regional public safety departments, and will build upon existing relationships with mutual aid partners. The Borough strongly believes this necessary public safety investment will improve the health and safety conditions of the region.

Last edited:
Where will the new Union County site be located?

It would appear that Leonia EMS and Leonia FD will be migrating over to the Bergen County Public Safety trunked system. Leonia PD is there now.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber

It would appear that Leonia EMS and Leonia FD will be migrating over to the Bergen County Public Safety trunked system. Leonia PD is there now.
It would be located (granted they get permission from Nokia) at the Murray Hill site along I-78.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Not so sure best choice. This location (Nokia) leaves shadows all along the north and west valley. Mountain Ave from Long Hill, east to Berkely Heights, New Providence and Summit are terrain blocked. Large RF shadows.

In fact this is why we see several in building BDA’s for PS even though PS have repeaters up at Murray Hill. Which brings us back to lazy.

Yes, lazy Site 21 on the ICS, the picture now becomes somewhat clearer.

Coverage in the Valley is pretty good from the lazy ICS trailer placed there. It has even helped secure funding. Very creative indeed.

My guess is the new ICS site would be at one of the existing PD’s or FD’s towers or even perhaps up on the Ridge to the west of the Mountain Ave valley. I think Overlook might even work. This would create ICS HT coverage 24/78 where many incidents occur.

Nice job #21.😂

Last edited:

asnhnetwork

Leonia had the Ambulance Corps shut down about 7 years ago. They contract currently with Englewood Hospital. So I guess the taxpayers will pay for the Hospital to get new radios.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'd have to disagree on your assessment of Murray. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the coverage increase with that site as part of the Union cell.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I may certainly stand corrected. Who can argue with RF planning tools. Certainly LSM performance should not be overlooked too. After dragging a line on maps I see downtown Summit is line of site and Springfield Ave, Valley Rd. averages only 3.0 to to the west and 2.0 miles away to East. The 78/24 interchange has a bit of terrain and low elevation but 4.25 miles away. This will be a nice addition. Kudo’s.

edisonfire

Leonia had the Ambulance Corps shut down about 7 years ago. They contract currently with Englewood Hospital. So I guess the taxpayers will pay for the Hospital to get new radios.

Wouldn't Englewood Hosp ALS/BLS already have Bergen County TKD radios in use? Just add Leonia TG's?

Status
Not open for further replies.