Union County North Carolina Frequency Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I recently moved to Indian Trail from a little town in north west Pennsylvania. Does anyone know the most active frequencies in my area, and what they are used for? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Thanks,
I did see the database, I was just wondering how up to date it was, and if there was any of those freqs that I could omit due to lack of use. I was a firefighter in Pennysylvania and I know a lot of the freqs they had listed for my town were not used anymore. I was also wondering if there was any rail or air freqs that I could use here in the Indian Trail Area. Also I wanted to know which Low Band VHF highway patrol freqs i should use. Any help wold be wonderful.

Also, I have a pretty basic scanner, That is all I needed where I was from, I lived in a very rural area, and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a new scanner That would be good for my area. It wold be nice to be able to listen to Mecklenburg county as well as Union. But I do not wan to buy something that has features I will never use. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Union Co

42.38 and 42.78 for NC SHP 154.22 and the 3 fireground freq's for county fire. 155.400 for EMS 453.85 for Sheriff 155.325 for Med Center Air helicopters These freq's on a basic scanner will get you good to go. Using the database, you can add more such as Monroe city freq's.....

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For the highway patrol, look under the state listing and look for Troop H (which is based in Monroe) for low band channels. There will be more 800mhz VIPER traffic as time goes by as well, but all the dispatch traffic is going out on low band and VIPER where it's operating.

Meck county needs a trunking scanner, but any analog one will still work fine as long as it has enough features for you. If you want to wait on buying a high $$$ scanner, a cheap RS pro93/95/2053 would work well enough for now until rebanding takes full effect, but that will still be a while around here and you could still get lots of conventional use (or non 800mhz use) out of one too.

Many of the unidens also support monitoring of the "I-calls" that some of the CMPD uses rather often.

Like I said, you'll likely get a local to show up in a bit to advise on what they are really using in your neck of the woods. I am now west of Charlotte and the last time I was in Union County (last summer) I was only there for an hour and didn't even bother adding anything to my scanner to listen.

edit, seems I type slow :cool:

Last edited:

kg4pbd

clmcbriar28079 said:
Hello!

I recently moved to Indian Trail from a little town in north west Pennsylvania.

Just curious, I'm originally from Erie though I haven't lived there in over 20 years. Where abouts in NW PA are you from?

kg4pbd said:
Just curious, I'm originally from Erie though I haven't lived there in over 20 years. Where abouts in NW PA are you from?

I lived in Armstrong county. A little south of you...lol

As for the type of scanner I have it is very basic 30 channel handheld bearcat. That is all I needed to monitor in the area I lived in up in Pennsylvania. I am looking to upgade to a better scanner, and I dont mind spending some money on a good one, I just dont want to buy one that has features I will never use. I also dont want to buy one and not be able to use it in a couple of years.

I would like to monitor Mecklenburg county and Union county, Police, Fire, EMS. I would also like to monitor Highway patrol.

Any suggestions would be very helpful

kg4pbd

Any of the models Grog listed above would work. You could spend a little more (probably around $200) for a Radio Shack Pro97 or a Uniden BC246T (those are just two handheld examples).

Any trunking scanner that supports text tags will work for monitoring Union County's conventional frequencies and Charlotte's trunked system.

Spend some time in the Wiki section and look at the different models/brands. Everyone has his/her favorites. For now you don't need to worry about digital since the only real digital stuff in the area is York County, SC's system. Grog mentioned VIPER and eventually it will replace low band and it may have more digital talkgroups but it looks like it's not going to happen too soon.

The other consideration is having a radio you can program with your computer, like the BC246T. It will save you a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.