Union Pacific Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXEMT

Anybody ever heard them on the rail channels..here in San Antonio i have seen them and heard them on occasion on 161.205, but it was just chit chat about how bad rush hour traffic was, not a dispatch channel, anbody know any freq they could be dispatched off of? I have also heard them come up on border patrol channels and most all of the local law enforcement channels when problems come up, but there own dispatch channel...nothing

af5rn

Did they, by chance, move to the San Antonio trunk system? The BNSF police in Fort Worth moved to the FWPD trunk system, although they can still be heard on their 161 frequency occasionally too.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
occasionaly when they are working with train crews for something...

TXEMT

I know they monitor the city and county channels but have never heard of there own talkgroup on the provoice system or seen one pop up on etrunker, I am able to monitor the city pd channels here and i have never heard them on any patrol channel. I have herad them on the smaller towns still on vhf around here when a train derailed years ago and on surrounding counties on vhf..kinda of a mystery what they operate on down here for daily ops..like i said before i see there patrol suv's around

SAR923

Mostly Nextel now but also try 451.5375. UP has been licensing up on that frequency with the usual 5Mhz higher repeater input frequency and I did hear some police traffic on it before I left California. 161.205 is the railroad police "mutual aid" frequency and you'll hear mostly BS traffic. It used to be common to hear SP special agents on 161.40 and the road channel but that all went away when the UP took over.

BigC801

Heard the dickscratcher calling for them once on the road ch when we hit a bum downtown.

Had one call my train before on the road ch but other then that we dont hear them much.

In kansas city i have heard BNSF police on KC's trunk system, they have there own id, also heard a NS cop on police mutual aid when he was chasing a copper thief. so they can be on any police ch around here but my guess would be most of the time they use nextel.

Next time i run into one at the main office i will try and ask.

Last edited:

ssd

in the sac ca they use nextel to talk to home base. some times on the yard ch

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
code3cowboy said:
they are given VHF radios for railroad stuff (kenwood) but they have to buy their own UHF and 800 radios.

I find that VERY hard to believe... Mind giving your source on that one? In my limited experience UP has been pretty good about giving me the tools to do my job properly. But I am a contract employee. Gumshoes are not...

JRM5204

CSX Police operate the same way down here in the Philadelphia, PA area. They monitor the road channels and can be heard on them from time to time, they have a RR band VHF simplex frequency they use for car to car chit chat, but as far as I know they have no central dispatch channel. I guess they use Nextel or some private trunked radio system.

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
You might try just asking one of the people the next time you see them. If they are out of their car just ask them what kind of radios they use. I have done this before and explained why I was interested in knowing.

Ian
Just my two-cents

BigC801

I drove by our office here and looked at a UP Police vehicle, the only ant on it was a standerd VHF antenna that we use on alot of our radios. He had a radar gun and dash cammera is about all.

SAR923

That's interesting. Are you sure it was a radar gun? Any idea what they use it for? Do they monitor speed on roadways in the yard or what? Maybe even monitor train speeds? I've never seen a railroad police unit running radar on a public roadway.

I suspect they still have a standard load AAR Motorola VHF radio so they can talk to trains and dispatchers when needed and use Nextel for about everything else. You don't need an external antenna for one of those.

af5rn

SAR2401 said:
That's interesting. Are you sure it was a radar gun? Any idea what they use it for? Do they monitor speed on roadways in the yard or what? Maybe even monitor train speeds? I've never seen a railroad police unit running radar on a public roadway.
I don't know about other states, but in Texas they are very specifically prohibited from enforcing provisions of the Vehicle Code (i.e. any traffic laws). It is the only restriction on their police powers. So yeah, I too find it interesting that they would have a radar gun. Either they do some internal enforcement with it, or that particular agent bought his own and just gets a kick out of playing around with it, lol.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
af5rn said:
I don't know about other states, but in Texas they are very specifically prohibited from enforcing provisions of the Vehicle Code (i.e. any traffic laws). It is the only restriction on their police powers. So yeah, I too find it interesting that they would have a radar gun. Either they do some internal enforcement with it, or that particular agent bought his own and just gets a kick out of playing around with it, lol.

Who says the radar gun was for on the road... A UP Cop is still a UP Manager.

Most managers for the UP Have radar guns

SAR923

If the radar gun was dash mounted, it usually is for the road. I'm sure most UP managment types have a portable radar gun that's aimed by hand. That's different than a typical police use dash mount radar. That's why I was interested in why they'd have it dash mounted.

af5rn, railroad police officers in California had unrestricted police powers. They were recognized as peace officers anywhere the state and had a POST certificate like the rest of us. There was nothing technically that would stop them from enforcing the vehicle code and I did back up a few SP special agents in LA that had made a traffic stop on a DUI driver. I never saw them ever running radar on a public roadway though. That would have raised some eyebrows.

BigC801

at least in kansas city they do run radar on UP roads, they did a big crack down on speeding on the road to our yard office and wrote tickets to about 10 Car 4 drivers lol. i will post a picture here in a few.

BigC801

dscf0069fo9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.