SDS100/SDS200: Unit ID Name for Conventional Channel

andy404ns

Is it possible to set and display a Unit ID Name for a conventional channel? The radio displays the Unit ID by default in the Detail Conventional display mode.

In Sentinel you can set a few of the available display slots to be Unit ID Name in Detail Conventional display mode. Department and Channel options have this. The Option A-5 slot has even more stuff related to Unit ID Name. e.g. Unit ID Name 1 (1-16). No idea what those are.

But I can't find anywhere where I can actually set/save alpha tags for Unit IDs for a conventional channel, either in Sentinel or in manual entry.

Sentinel display setting for the Option A-5 slot:

1683734374567.png

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe you are able to save init ID's for conventional channels, only trunked systems

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Go Into the Favorites Editor. Click on a system node on the left side, then click the Unit IDs tab on the right side. Now you can enter in the text tags.

Untitled.png

andy404ns

Go Into the Favorites Editor. Click on a system node on the left side, then click the Unit IDs tab on the right side. Now you can enter in the text tags.
Unless I've done something wrong within Sentinel, the Unit IDs tab does not show up for conventional systems.

andy404ns

Yeah that certainly seems to be the case. I'm just confused as to why Sentinel will allow Unit ID Name as a field within the Conventional display settings :unsure:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yeah that certainly seems to be the case. I'm just confused as to why Sentinel will allow Unit ID Name as a field within the Conventional display settings :unsure:
Me too. Conv. systems spits out UID's. I'll have to look at my program and see if the Unit ID tab can be enabled on conv. systems

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I'm just confused as to why Sentinel will allow Unit ID Name as a field within the Conventional display settings :unsure:

I am pretty sure because if you have any convention digital freqs programmed in as One Freq Trunk, you would be able to see the uid on the conventional screen.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I am pretty sure because if you have any convention digital freqs programmed in as One Freq Trunk, you would be able to see the uid on the conventional screen.
Conv. P25 systems shows the UIDs on the scanner display. I'm logging them now.

andy404ns

I just confirmed on my scanner that the 1 Freq Trunk systems I have utilize the "Detail Trunk" display settings and not the "Detail Conventional" display settings. So I'm still not clear on why "Detail Conventional" allows you to select Unit ID Name for some fields.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So you have a p25 freq programmed in a conventional list, not programed in as p25 One Freq Trunk and your getting the uids?

andy404ns

Yup that's what I have as well. It knows what the unit ID is, but there doesn't seem to be a way to alpha tag it and show that tag.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Then in that case I believe it needs to be programmed in as One Freq Trunk so in the editor, alpha tags can be associated with the uid's (and the uid's can be stored) since in both Sentinel and Proscan, there is that option in the system options.

andy404ns

I never even considered storing a conventional P25 channel as a One Frequency Trunk. Wil give that a shot later. It's a bit of a non-starter for me as many of the agencies around me are P25 conventional and I'm not gonna save each one this way but for the most important ones it'll be nice to have.

Ubbe

The Option A-5 slot has even more stuff related to Unit ID Name. e.g. Unit ID Name 1 (1-16). No idea what those are.
You can enter 64 characters for a User ID in Sentinel, 60 of those can be displayed.

If you set your display field that now says WACN to be User ID Name 1 you then set Battery Voltage to show UID Name 2 and Unit ID to UID Name 3 and RSSI to UID Name 4 and it will display the User ID Name text tag over two full lines. The User ID field without Name will only show the UID number.

/Ubbe

andy404ns

Figured I'd come back and close this thread. As suggested above, I programmed the conventional P25 channel as a P25 One Frequency Trunk and the unit ID names are now displaying.

It seems that the Sentinel software is a bit misleading with respect to the Conventional screen options. It's not just Unit ID Name - Site Name and Site ID are both available as options for a conventional channel which I don't think make sense.

One thing worth calling out that I didn't pick up on at first is that the default talk group ID when programming conventional P25 systems this way is 1 in most cases. I did see some entries in these forums for a few others based on the vendor but 1 worked for me. Also worth noting that the SDS100 was displaying talk group ID 1 in conventional detail mode so I just missed it initially.