Unit ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody else have troubles With trunk systems that have units ID's They sometimes show up and sometimes they don't Dispatch just talking and when they stop talking the unit transmits the dispatch ID we'll stay Sometimes you can't see The unit IDs Its not like the GRE 800 My town uses the ID's and I have no problem the ID switch every time somebody transmit I wonder if that's Uniden Can fix that problem Make it work like the GRE 800 And Firmware upgrade I would like to see on the conventional channels unit IDs If anybody else has a GRE 800 radio they know what I mean I have a 396 XT in the unit IDs work perfectly fine So I hope they will fix these problems

an39511

On the BCD536HP I only have this problem when replaying past (recorded) transmissions. Scanning live seems to function properly.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The ID data is transmitted at the beginning of the transmission. If the transmission has already begun before the scanner scans that CC it will not have received the data and thereby will not display the ID. This has nothing to do with the scanner. Also if there are several exchanges during the time the scanner is stopped on that talk group only the first ID will display.

SDavis90

The ID data is transmitted at the beginning of the transmission. If the transmission has already begun before the scanner scans that CC it will not have received the data and thereby will not display the ID. This has nothing to do with the scanner. Also if there are several exchanges during the time the scanner is stopped on that talk group only the first ID will display.

Excellent description, and most notable on analog systems for me at least.

lep

Does anybody else have troubles With trunk systems that have units ID's They sometimes show up and sometimes they don't Dispatch just talking and when they stop talking the unit transmits the dispatch ID we'll stay Sometimes you can't see The unit IDs Its not like the GRE 800 My town uses the ID's and I have no problem the ID switch every time somebody transmit I wonder if that's Uniden Can fix that problem Make it work like the GRE 800 And Firmware upgrade I would like to see on the conventional channels unit IDs If anybody else has a GRE 800 radio they know what I mean I have a 396 XT in the unit IDs work perfectly fine So I hope they will fix these problems

I do not have a GRE 800 but I do have a 396 and a 436. On both those scanners there I only see UID on trunking systems, P-26 or analog trunking seems to make no difference. As described in another post, the UID is only transmitted as a data burst at the start of a transmission, not continuously. It takes a moment for the scanner logic to recognize the UID and send that to the display, therefore in quick "overs" the display may miss the start of the transmission or be behind. I find little difference in what is displayed during Replay or Live. In fact, I often use Replay when tracking down New UID to associate them with the voice ID. From my point of view, I don't see anything for Uniden to Fix nor do I see any difference between the XT UID and the 436.

D

DaveNF2G

Interestingly, the Trunker software, on which the first trunktracking scanners were supposedly based, has no trouble following UID changes no matter how fast they occur. It's still not clear to me why scanners cannot do what old DOS software can.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
On my 436, the UIDs are not displaying as well as they do on the 396. This is on analog and digital systems. On digital systems, the 396 will change UIDs when the transmitting radio changes. I believe the UID is included in the data being transmitted so it doesn't have to get the data from the cc.

kikito

Premium Subscriber

That used to be the case with older scanners. The last 2 generations of scanners get the UID properly from the transmission itself and not the CC. How else would you be able to tune the voice channels manually and get the NAC, talkgroup AND UID without tuning the control channel like I can with the GRE 800 and others?

whsbuss

My old HP-1 acted the same for UIDs, only showing at times, never following the transmissions between radios.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
My old HP-1 acted the same for UIDs, only showing at times, never following the transmissions between radios.

That's interesting. My even older BCD396XT doesn't miss a beat displaying UIDs on our trunked P25 system. Neither does the GRE 800. So is this anomaly based more on system type?

whsbuss

That's interesting. My even older BCD396XT doesn't miss a beat displaying UIDs on our trunked P25 system. Neither does the GRE 800. So is this anomaly based more on system type?

Could be. The system I monitor is a Motorola SmartZone II

kikito

Premium Subscriber
OK, yeah, I think that's what it is, because non-P25 voice channels especially, might not send the UID on the transmission itself constantly. They might in a sub-audible data way, but not as reliable as the fully digital P25 ones.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
What i am asking is can someone talk to uniden see if thay can fix that problem because I have a home patrol I have the unit id on and that doesn't miss a beat some with my 396 xt and my gre 800 only with 536 and 436 radios unit id not work will

kikito

Premium Subscriber
What i am asking is can someone talk to uniden see if thay can fix that problem because I have a home patrol I have the unit id on and that doesn't miss a beat some with my 396 xt and my gre 800 only with 536 and 436 radios unit id not work will

Well, just posting it in these forums is likely to have Uniden's attention sooner or later or by now already.

Just for reference or record, I'm using a 436 on a Trunked P25 VHF system and I'm not having the problem. Maybe it's an RFI issue with the radio or a defect or something. Maybe somebody else using it for the same system you are, can chime in if they're having the same problem.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Actually, on my 436 I find radio IDs come up quick on both Phase 1 and analog systems. I would say it beats my PSR 800 on analog and EDACS system radio IDs. But it is extremely slow at displaying them on the phase 2 system I listen to and most times does not display at all.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
On the 396xt, 536HP and psr800 UID doesn't pop up as quick on the analog systems. If on P25 it will pop up quick from one transmission to the other with no problem.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
On a P25 system, or on P25 voice channels on a Motorola 3600 system, you will get the unit ID because the unit ID is carried on the voice transmission.

On other systems, including analog channels on a Motorola 3600 system, the unit ID is broadcast only at the beginning of a transmission, as said above. It's broadcast on the control channel, not on the voice channel. "Why a 500 dollar scanner can't do what a DOS program can" is because "the DOS program" (which isn't a DOS program at all) is listening to the control channel non-stop. Your scanner leaves the control channel to listen to the voice signal, and the voice signal doesn't carry the unit ID.

There's no "problem" to "fix". That's the way the radio systems work, period. If you believe the GRE radios do this better than the Unidens, you're imagining things. Even my professional radio will not show the user ID if I come into a transmission partway through.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
On a P25 system, or on P25 voice channels on a Motorola 3600 system, you will get the unit ID because the unit ID is carried on the voice transmission.

On other systems, including analog channels on a Motorola 3600 system, the unit ID is broadcast only at the beginning of a transmission, as said above. It's broadcast on the control channel, not on the voice channel. "Why a 500 dollar scanner can't do what a DOS program can" is because "the DOS program" (which isn't a DOS program at all) is listening to the control channel non-stop. Your scanner leaves the control channel to listen to the voice signal, and the voice signal doesn't carry the unit ID.

There's no "problem" to "fix". That's the way the radio systems work, period. If you believe the GRE radios do this better than the Unidens, you're imagining things. Even my professional radio will not show the user ID if I come into a transmission partway through.

Thanks for clearing that up.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Jay911 is spot on. My $4000 Moto XTS 5000 won't always display the UID/RID so expecting a $400-500 to outperform an actual subscriber radio is crazy.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.