Unit Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8tmk

All emergency units in Berrien County Michigan have their own specific group of 4-digit unit numbers (such as 6833). For example, the first two numbers indicate the department. The number 12 indicates Lincoln Township Police, 18 indicates St. Joseph Township Police, and 68 indicates St. Joseph City Police, etc. (I have a fairly complete list.)
The last pair of numbers generally indicate the rank of the officer. Numbers 09 and lower indicate high-ranking officers (01 is a chief, 05 is a sargent, etc.). 10 and higher are generally patrol officers, and are reassigned depending upon who is on duty. So, unit 1211 might be patrol officer Shadler, Chartrand, Wolf, or whomever is on duty.
St. Joseph City PD takes this one step further and assigns the last two digits to one specific officer. For example, 6805 is always Sargent Smiedendorf, 6834 is always officer Fisher, and 6836 is always officer Elliot, etc.
Why don't the other department follow St. Joe's lead; it sure seems like it would make it easier to know who is using a particular unit number at any given time, for both the officers and us "scanists."

Randy

fnnm1062

longtime member
each city, county, and state seem to do something different, depending on what works for them. 1 of the cities I work for uses the number assigned to the car as its call sign and the other department I work for uses the officers badge number. Whatever works for them is what they will use, and while it is difficult, I find it part of the fun to figure out which area they cover and who the belong to.

Status
Not open for further replies.