OP25 Unit/Radio ID translation file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve2vfd

The unit/radio id number appears at the bottom right of the terminal window, but I was wondering if there is any way to have a database file similar to the TGID one to translate the id number to the radios unit name or number.

Thanks!

Pat

boatbod

The unit/radio id number appears at the bottom right of the terminal window, but I was wondering if there is any way to have a database file similar to the TGID one to translate the id number to the radios unit name or number.

Thanks!

Pat
One of the reasons I've never done this is simply a lack of space in the curses terminal window. The other reason is because RIDs are generally only significant within the system being monitored. A flat dictionary lookup would be easy, but managing them hierarchically is more trouble than it's worth.

ve2vfd

One of the reasons I've never done this is simply a lack of space in the curses terminal window. The other reason is because RIDs are generally only significant within the system being monitored. A flat dictionary lookup would be easy, but managing them hierarchically is more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for the answer! Yeah managing that spreadsheet would be a bit of a pain, the system I monitor (Montreal FD) has around 200 mobiles and 800-1000 portables.

ve2vfd

My DSDPlus radios file has 29,859 radios in it.....

Yeah but we're not a county wide system, just one city fire dept with 68 stations. :)

Though they are also on our system, I'm not counting the other services like Police, public works and city workers (so add several thousands of radios.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I realize that.. I was just making the point that a large database can be managed fairly easily. I'm no programmer by any means, but obviously it's do-able.

boatbod

I realize that.. I was just making the point that a large database can be managed fairly easily. I'm no programmer by any means, but obviously it's do-able.
Of course it's do-able but the question is how much effort, what is the priority, and who gets to spend their time implementing the feature? There's only so many spare hours in a day and I've just spent 2+ months implementing a whole new trunking protocol...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yup, totally understandable. Only so many hours in the day to put towards this sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.