United Airlines Dulles Int'l New 800mhz Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrehab

Premium Subscriber
Freqs put it in public safety band? Wonder if they are going to give up dmr in the future? Wonder if MWAA and UAL might add a frequency or two for use in disasters?
Also guessing new system might be on hold for lack of money?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Too far to listen for me, just throwing it out hoping someone can confirm and submit to database

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A couple of points:
  • 854-860 is not exclusive to public safety, rather is a mixture of public safety, business/industrial, and non-cellular SMR. They wouldn't have obtained a YB Business Trunked license in the band otherwise. 851-854 is the portion of the band exclusive to public safety (NPSPAC).
  • The emissions on the license indicate a DMR system, most likely Tier III or Capacity Max if they're building new, as Connect Plus is EOL.
  • The 900 band (935-940) is being reconfigured to create a broadband segment right in between two narrowband LMR segments, and so because some of United's frequencies at Dulles are impacted by that, they probably found it a better option to relocate to 800 MHz.
  • Moving to 800 MHz allows them the ability to operate on their trunked system, as well as have interop capability on 800 MHz analog channels (8CALL/TAC, as well as the two LCFR analog channels), using a single radio. Kenwood multi-protocol NX series radios are capable of both P25 and DMR, and so they could also have interop capability on the Loudon County ASTRO 25 system.
935.0-936.5 MHz - Narrowband LMR
936.5-939.5 MHz - Broadband
939.5-940.0 MHz - Narrowband LMR

dtscho

Database Admin
It's also interesting that this 800 MHz DMR system is licensed for two four-frequency sites (the same two sites as the existing 900 MHz Connect Plus system). The four frequencies are the same for each site, which would indicate a simulcast system. I've never heard of simulcast on DMR, but I suppose it's possible...? Someone with more knowledge will have to comment.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.