United Airlines feeds the tower to your headset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I recently had the opportunity to fly United Airlines and on Channel 9 on the plane, you can listen in to the aircraft communications from the pilot and others on that frequency to the tower. I've never been much of an aircraft comms buff, but it made for interesting listening.

Where are the "Centers" located? And why do the centers instruct the aircraft to change frequencies within the same center ?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
These are all Centers where the aircraft have communications with when in their airspace
pacing.gif

JoeyC

That map appears to be a representation of major US airports/hubs. It doesn't show ARTCC info.

Air Route Traffic Control Centers

Anchorage
Los Angeles
Oakland
Denver
Jacksonville
Miami
Atlanta
Honolulu
Chicago
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Boston
Minneapolis
Albuquerque
New York
Cleveland
Memphis
Ft Worth
Houston
Salt Lake
Washington
Seattle

Frequency changes within a Center are just as someone said above. Different altitudes blocks and sectors within the region may be handled by different controllers. Just as a cities police department may have more than one dispatcher working different areas of the same city, so do the ARTCCs. Their borders are however are both lateral and vertical.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Hmm, that other one was on an aircraft ATC site
Heres the real map of the zones

Last edited:

jmp883

The only problem I have with United allowing you to listen to av-comm's is that, unless policy has changed from when I last flew them in the mid-90's, you can't listen until you're at cruising altitude. Being an av-comm buff, as well as having took pilot lessons (ran out of money-then other things took priority :( ) the most interesting comms take place during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing.

For me, anyway, just listening to controllers handing flights off from one sector, and one ARTCC, to another gets old real quick. Granted you never know what unexpected things you might hear but that's not enough for me.

Like I said....United may have changed their policy but I doubt it. I do have to give them credit though...I believe they are the only US airline doing it :D .

immelmen

its strictly up to the captain when/if CH. 9 is turned on....its just a switch on the overhead. alot of times its just forgotten about.

Piston52Heavy

The only problem I have with United allowing you to listen to av-comm's is that, unless policy has changed from when I last flew them in the mid-90's, you can't listen until you're at cruising altitude. Being an av-comm buff, as well as having took pilot lessons (ran out of money-then other things took priority :( ) the most interesting comms take place during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing.

For me, anyway, just listening to controllers handing flights off from one sector, and one ARTCC, to another gets old real quick. Granted you never know what unexpected things you might hear but that's not enough for me.

Like I said....United may have changed their policy but I doubt it. I do have to give them credit though...I believe they are the only US airline doing it :D .

About three years ago, I flew from Detroit (DTW) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) and Ch. 9 was on from the moment we pushed back from the gate!

jmp883

Immlemen wrote:

its strictly up to the captain when/if CH. 9 is turned on....its just a switch on the overhead. alot of times its just forgotten about.

My parents live in Omaha, NE and before Midwest Express flew out of Newark International I usually flew United into Omaha. There was never a problem with Ch. 9 being on, every flight I was on for several years always had it on. Unfortunately you didn't get the headsets until after the flight was at cruising altitude. Of course that was also prior to 9/2001.

Piston52Heavy wrote:

About three years ago, I flew from Detroit (DTW) to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) and Ch. 9 was on from the moment we pushed back from the gate!

Nice! And you were able to monitor right away? I know airline rules prohibit using any device, even headsets, until the aircraft is in the cruise. That was a rule in place long before 9/2001, and seemingly more strongly enforced since then.

Oh well....I don't fly, or drive, to Omaha much anymore since my parents seem to enjoy driving east each summer but when I do fly I fly Midwest Express. Their service is excellent and they're the only airline I can fly Newark-Omaha non-stop, or just one stop via Milwaukee with a less-than-one hour layover. Every other airline that serves Omaha from Newark requires either a multi-stop flight (I forget the airline but I once flew Newark-Atlanta-Chicago-Denver-Omaha!) or if it's a one-stop flight the layover is several hours.

Last edited:

Piston52Heavy

Immlemen wrote:

My parents live in Omaha, NE and before Midwest Express flew out of Newark International I usually flew United into Omaha. There was never a problem with Ch. 9 being on, every flight I was on for several years always had it on. Unfortunately you didn't get the headsets until after the flight was at cruising altitude. Of course that was also prior to 9/2001.

Piston52Heavy wrote:

Nice! And you were able to monitor right away? I know airline rules prohibit using any device, even headsets, until the aircraft is in the cruise. That was a rule in place long before 9/2001, and seemingly more strongly enforced since then.

Oh well....I don't fly, or drive, to Omaha much anymore since my parents seem to enjoy driving east each summer but when I do fly I fly Midwest Express. Their service is excellent and they're the only airline I can fly Newark-Omaha non-stop, or just one stop via Milwaukee with a less-than-one hour layover. Every other airline that serves Omaha from Newark requires either a multi-stop flight (I forget the airline but I once flew Newark-Atlanta-Chicago-Denver-Omaha!) or if it's a one-stop flight the layover is several hours.

It may have not been right after push back, but I do know I was listening to taxi instructions to the active runway. There were thunderstorms in the area and I do remember listening to ATC giving our flight taxi instructions. We were sitting on a taxi way and I heard ATC tell our flight and other flights that if they wanted to, they could shut down their engines cause we were gonna be delayed like 45 minutes or so. Next thing I know, our captain was shutting them down (Boeing 737).

glideslope

I know airline rules prohibit using any device, even headsets, until the aircraft is in the cruise. That was a rule in place long before 9/2001, and seemingly more strongly enforced since then.

This is NOT an airline rule, this is a Federal Aviation Regulation. Title 14 CFR Part 91.21

Sec. 91.21

Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or
pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
(1) Portable voice recorders;
(2) Hearing aids;
(3) Heart pacemakers;
(4) Electric shavers; or
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other
aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I flew United about a month ago and on all of the flights it was on from the time we pushed back from the gates.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I bring my own plugin earphone and quickyl plug it in and start rolling the channel, but you have to get a good seat and a newer plane as many of them are in great need of going to the boneyard. one time the chair was being held together by ducktape and I looked out the window and the engine has pieces missing and ducktape on it, no joke, it was an old 737
I guess as long as you get there it doesnt matter to some

immelmen

easy fix for that one....bring your own headset. If the aircraft is equipped Ch9 is usually left on and neither crew member even thinks about it. but there is the occasional captain who doesn't like it for whatever reason so it gets turned off(rare).

Actually they don't, please see the explanation below at the bottom of my post.

Newark to Omaha non-stop......Continental Airlines has at least two non-stops a day.

This is NOT an airline rule, this is a Federal Aviation Regulation. Title 14 CFR Part 91.21

Sec. 91.21

Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or
pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
(1) Portable voice recorders;
(2) Hearing aids;
(3) Heart pacemakers;
(4) Electric shavers; or
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other
aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.

This does not apply to a headset plugged into the in flight entertainment system. the IFES is part of the aircraft system and headsets alone are not a portable electronic device( with the exception of the Bose NC headsets).

Think about the difference....you plug a headset into the armrest to listen to CH9 or any other channel, when the crew makes a PA it breaks into the IFES and you hear the PA and not the music/ATC.....this is not possible if you are using your own IPOD....THAT is why Ch9 is OK on the ground but IPODS are not= in an emergency if you are blasting death metal you wont hear the crews PA.

If just a headset plugged into the aircrafts system was taboo then my headset plugged into the comm panel would be too.....

Last edited:

immelmen

I bring my own plugin earphone and quickyl plug it in and start rolling the channel, but you have to get a good seat and a newer plane as many of them are in great need of going to the boneyard. one time the chair was being held together by ducktape and I looked out the window and the engine has pieces missing and ducktape on it, no joke, it was an old 737
I guess as long as you get there it doesnt matter to some

sorry to hijack the thread real quick, but I felt compelled to make a comment here. The interior of a transport category aircraft is completely independent of the aircraft itself. The fact that the 737's have an older/shabbier appearance on the inside is purely the result of a scam by United Airlines management to convince the the flying public the A320 is a better plane....trust me this is NOT the case!!! the 73' is a FAR more reliable and much more safe in its design than the Scarebus, but it is more expensive so they don't want you to know that.

they could easily put the new interior in the 737 fleet(it would take about two hours to swap out).

Status
Not open for further replies.