United States Air Force (157) Bandplan changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

You need to run Unitrunker or Pro96Com or something on the system to determine the band plan used for each channel (LCN). Different band plans could be used for different channels on the same site. Different sites could have a different list of band plans.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You need to run Unitrunker or Pro96Com or something on the system to determine the band plan used for each channel (LCN). Different band plans could be used for different channels on the same site. Different sites could have a different list of band plans.
That is incorrect. The P25 band plan is common throughout the entire system, and the same elements apply to every site. There is no customization of the band plan per-site, and certainly not per-channel.

Here is the description of the band plan from the latest Motorola ASTRO 25 Fleetmapping and Band Plan Management guide. Note that the Air Force 157 system is in fact an ASTRO 25 system.

Band Plan.png

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
So, are you saying that all sites in the 157 system use the same bandplan, using the applicable entry for their particular frequency range that they are using?

Also, what about the multiple entries for the 136 band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yes, the system band plan applies to every site in the 157 system.

It's important to note that the system itself doesn't use the band plan per se, it's the radios that use it to determine the channel frequencies at each site. The band plan exists in two places: It is continuously broadcast over the control channel, and it is programmed into each radio.

Motorola numbers the band plan entries from 1-16, while other radios, scanners, and software generally use 0-15 or 0-F (F is 15 when converting HEX to DEC). The order of the band plan entries are critical, as the channel numbers correspond to each position in the table.

In the case of your Uniden scanner, you should almost never need to manually program the band plan. The scanner should receive it from the control channel and automatically fill the table in without user intervention. I'm very surprised that it got wiped out in your 536 and didn't repopulate itself automatically after a few seconds of monitoring the control channel.

I would suggest clearing out all of the band plan entries in the 536, power cycling the scanner to write the changes to the microSD card, then turn the scanner back on. Scan the Tinker site for a minute or two, then check to see if the band plan has repopulated itself in the programming. If it has, you're good to go...if not, something else is going on like perhaps the control channel has stopped broadcasting it, which is highly unusual but I suppose possible. You may want to try the same with the 436 to see if the results are the same.

Oh and obviously make sure both scanners are at the same firmware, the last release was 1.25.00 which is technically a beta release but has been out for half a year.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
In the case of your Uniden scanner, you should almost never need to manually program the band plan. The scanner should receive it from the control channel and automatically fill the table in without user intervention. I'm very surprised that it got wiped out in your 536 and didn't repopulate itself automatically after a few seconds of monitoring the control channel.
Do you think the firmware or something in the radio is corrupt, causing it to not keep it stored?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do you think the firmware or something in the radio is corrupt, causing it to not keep it stored?
It really doesn't need to be stored, as the scanner should pick it up within seconds of locking onto the control channel. The P25 band plan is not part of the RR database, and therefore doesn't get programmed into the scanner either when using Sentinel's full database or importing a system into a Favorite. It's always obtained by the scanner decoding the control channel.

Are both your 436 and 536 at the same 1.25.00 firmware?

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/firmware-1-25-00-public-beta.377274/

Also check that you've got the system programmed into the 536 correctly, as P25 Trunk. You mentioned something about having to tell the software that you're using a "custom bandplan", which is only an option for MOT systems in ProScan. For a P25 Trunk system in ProScan, you should leave all values in the table zeroed out; the scanner will decode the correct band plan when it finds the control channel.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're probably better off at this point deleting the system from the 536 programming and importing it again fresh. Don't make any changes to it, just upload the favorite to the scanner and verify that it works without any tinkering to it (pun intended lol)

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Just to continue this discussion, I am again receiving Tinker normally again and, upon checking the band plan for the site, it was blank! So maybe the techs were playing around with something that temporarily changed the bandplan. Does anyone know if the normal bandplan for the 406 band is 12.5 kHz? That’s what I was having to put in for it to receive. Don’t know what it is normally as nothing is displayed in the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.