United States Department of Defense system

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon, Happy New Year to all !

Below is system I’ve been receiving lately from Frederick County Maryland, this system does not show in the state of Maryland nor any surrounding state in the data base. While listening to the Wildcard TG it seems to simulcast the JNCR system and more. I’ve been hearing all of NDW Fire and Police activity. The Ft. Detrick site on the JNCR system does not broadcast anything from NDW. I know there’s a lot of annex’s and military facilities in the county. I have no clue where this site is located.

Location - Ballenger Creek area and surroundings - Downtown, Urbana, Jefferson

Site and frequencies being heard on - 2 (2) 003 (3) Naval Support Activity Orlando Orange, FL 380.175c 380.275 380.425c 380.725

System - United States Department of Defense (14C) Trunking System, Nationwide, Multi-State

Anyone have any other details on this ?

dmi

Premium Subscriber

Below is system I’ve been receiving lately from Frederick County Maryland, this system does not show in the state of Maryland nor any surrounding state in the data base. While listening to the Wildcard TG it seems to simulcast the JNCR system and more. I’ve been hearing all of NDW Fire and Police activity. The Ft. Detrick site on the JNCR system does not broadcast anything from NDW. I know there’s a lot of annex’s and military facilities in the county. I have no clue where this site is located.

Site and frequencies being heard on - 2 (2) 003 (3) Naval Support Activity Orlando Orange, FL 380.175c 380.275 380.425c 380.725

System - United States Department of Defense (14C) Trunking System, Nationwide, Multi-State

You're probably picking up JNCR system with the exception of 380.175 being part of United States Department of Defense (1B5C8-001) Site: Fort Meade

JNCR:
NAC: 009 - 380.275 is Silver Hill, PG County
NAC: 008 - 380.425, 380.725 is Tysons Corner (Site E)

EDIT: Tysons Corner is currently use 380.425 as cc (12/31/2022 @ 14:20 EST)

What NAC are you getting for those frequencies?

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was in the area yesterday. No sign of that system on the air. You are likely receiving the JNCR Tysons Corner site as it shares the same frequencies as some of the 14C sites, namely 380.425 which was Tysons control channel yesterday. You will need software that actually reads control channel data to confirm. Scanners do not do a lot of error checking / verifying sysids, etc. They simply try to decode a control channel, then relate the received tgids to its database. Your TRX is probably getting confused. Did your SDS100 receive this system?

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
You're probably picking up JNCR system with the exception of 380.175 being part of United States Department of Defense (1B5C8-001)

JNCR:
380.275 is Silver Hill, PG County
Site #6 380.425, 380.725 is Tysons Corner Site E

What NAC are you getting for those frequencies?

I’m using a Whistler TX-1 with a standard rubber duck

As far as a NAC - I have the slightest clue, I haven’t messed with it at all.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I was in the area yesterday. No sign of that system on the air. You are likely receiving the JNCR Tysons Corner site as it shares the same frequencies as some of the 14C sites, namely 380.425 which was Tysons control channel yesterday. You will need software that actually reads control channel data to confirm. Scanners do not do a lot of error checking / verifying sysids, etc. They simply try to decode a control channel, then relate the received tgids to its database. Your TRX is probably getting confused. Did your SDS100 receive this system?

I never tried it with my SDS100

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber

Sorry to impose, but a question: What is the plain language English for the following acronyms: JNCR & NDW? Frequent traveler to D.C., thank you in anticipation of your responsive answer.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Whelp, I feel like one be idiot now. I thought I had plugged in the Tysons site the other day, perhaps a miss typed something as I didn’t see anything but I just did it again and boom, full bars.

Now can anyone tell me why on early I’m receiving this site so far away ? I was told these sites on this system are very short ranged.

dmi

Premium Subscriber
Whelp, I feel like one be idiot now. I thought I had plugged in the Tysons site the other day, perhaps a miss typed something as I didn’t see anything but I just did it again and boom, full bars.

Now can anyone tell me why on early I’m receiving this site so far away ? I was told these sites on this system are very short ranged.
Tysons Corner is at a relatively high elevation. In addition, Frederick County, MD is also as high or higher in elevation depending on location. This is most likely why you're able to receive it.

Elevations:
Fairfax County, VA:
Tysons Corner - 486 ft (148 m)

Frederick County, MD:
Ballenger Creek - 302 ft (92 m)
Jefferson - 583 ft (178 m)
Urbana - 468 ft (143 m)

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

nd5y

The same frequencies are reused at various locations all over the country.
Talkgroup IDs can be the same.
The database can have errors or missing data.
Your scanner probably only knows frequencies and talkgroup IDs.
It will display whatever matches which might not be correct if you happen to find a system with the same frequencies and talkgroup ID as another system somewhere else.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
With all that NDW traffic, you might be getting a JNCR repeater from Ravenrock "Site R" and the underground lake that connects it to Camp David. :D

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Well I just deleted the entire JNCR system and just added the NDW JNCR talkgroups to the US DOD System and boom ! I’m hearing it flawlessly. Even some of the NDW South PD and FD ops.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
There was a lot of hit or miss particularly with the FD side, you’d hear them one day and wouldn’t the next. By adding those TG’s to the US DOD System that now has changed and I haven’t had a issue since. I noticed this when I was scanning the system and the Wildcard TG was picking up their stuff along with its own TG’s. 2 systems in one !

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Well I just deleted the entire JNCR system and just added the NDW JNCR talkgroups to the US DOD System and boom ! I’m hearing it flawlessly. Even some of the NDW South PD and FD ops.
(You are still hearing the JNCR system)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
To verify, you need to hold on either the Fort Myer site, or the Quantico site on system 14C. If you still hear NDW talk groups, then you know they are actually carried on 14C rather than on a JNCR site which is the probably the case.

BM82557

To verify, you need to hold on either the Fort Myer site, or the Quantico site on system 14C. If you still hear NDW talk groups, then you know they are actually carried on 14C rather than on a JNCR site which is the probably the case.

Sorry for getting off topic, I see that the DB has numerous TGs for Quantico listed on the 14C system. What site or sites carry them? I don't see a Quantico site listed

BM82557

Sorry for getting off topic, I see that the DB has numerous TGs for Quantico listed on the 14C system. What site or sites carry them? I don't see a Quantico site listed

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another way to verify is to identify the active control channel, determine what 14C site uses that cch, then lock out all other systems and sites in the TRX. I'd gamble that you would still hear the NDW talk groups on whatever site you have active, and the TRX will think it's in Seattle.