United States - FCC has new question pools for GROL, and Ship Radar Endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lassar

The FCC has approved new question pools for the GROL and Ship Radar Endorsement.

We have reviewed the record and find that the adoption of the new question pools for Elements 1, 3, and 8 is appropriate, and would promote efficient and effective COLE examinations. We conclude that adoption of the updated question pools is warranted because it eliminates questions involving implementation dates that have already passed, and reflects the current duties and responsibilities of commercial radio operator licensees.
WTB Approves New Commercial Operator License Examination (COLE) Question Pools for Elements 1, 3 and 8 (date 6/25/2009)

-

C

comsec1

I would much rather see the FCC require some kind license of technical / FCC laws even a ham license to work on, install, maintain, and program rather then change the question pool. Its getting real old having to follow up repairing simple things such as coaxial connectors or antenna mounting. Too many vehicle upfitters have their lighting techs install radios and mount antennas on cars with no clue about RF. 125' runs of rg142 for 800 mhz, coaxial connectors crimped with water pump pliers and so on. FCC please bring back licensing requirements for radio techs so the companies stop hiring short order cooks and landscapers as radio technicians.

rescuecomm

That is why you have to work two years under a licensed electrician before you can take the journeyman's electrical license. At least you got an idea of what is going on. It might not be a bad idea to require the same before going testing for the GRT.

Bob

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
FCC please bring back licensing requirements for radio techs so the companies stop hiring short order cooks and landscapers as radio technicians.
This would be a good idea but requiring that and pay a pinch over minimum wage won't get the shop good people. They wouldn't be able to afford the talent. When I worked for a MSS the pay was pretty pathetic and we were one of two main shops in the County.

SOFA_KING

This would be a good idea but requiring that and pay a pinch over minimum wage won't get the shop good people. They wouldn't be able to afford the talent. When I worked for a MSS the pay was pretty pathetic and we were one of two main shops in the County.

Yeah...The problem is not a lack of talent out there to be hired. There are PLENTY of qualified techs out there just waiting to be hired into a tech job FOR A LIVING WAGE. No GROL is going to make a difference. PAY is going to make a difference. It is the shop owners fault for hiring people without the qualifications because they want cheap labor.

Phil :cool:

2wayfreq

I'm studying for it now. I think I should get it before they make the test harder. The GROL Plus (Gordon West) book is pretty good. I would hope its still a legitimate credential kinda like a: "CCNA for Radios".

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I am wanting to start work on getting my GROL

Where can I get a copy of the new questions and a study guide

Thanks

David

Lassar

Time table for new Grol Plus book, and new GROL question pools exams.

-

You can get the new question pools at :

FCC GROL question pools

But the new GROL Plus book won't be out till about September.

I think most; if not all of the Cole Mangers will be waiting; till December to give the new question pools exams.

After the new GROL guides have been out a while.

National Radio Examiners will be waiting till about December to be using the new question pools.

NRE : Examiner News

When in doubt ask the Cole Managers; what question pools they will be using.

-

Last edited:

rcvmo

Cripes, I've got 30 years under my skinny belt and my dept. still thinks I'm nuts.
Here's to those self proclaimed IT people / turned radio gurus who look to Wikipedia on how to turn a radio ON!!!!
LOL!!!:):)
rcvmo

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Here's to those self proclaimed IT people / turned radio gurus who look to Wikipedia on how to turn a radio ON!!!!
*twitch* You just poked at my biggest pet peeve. The way I see it, there are three things that destroyed the two-way radio and microwave industries: 1. Nextel, 2. 47CFR Part 15, and 3. Some IT wonk back in the 90's that started calling radio "wireless"... the guy had no clue that's what Marconi called it.

Status
Not open for further replies.