Unitrunker and DSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I've gotten a lot of requests to add DSD decoding capabilities to Unitrunker. In the current US Patent Law climate - that won't happen. Sorry folks.

But ... I have been also hearing from others who successfully use DSD and Unitrunker to follow voice calls - most notably on EDACS ProVoice systems. Here's how:

1. Windows machine running Unitrunker configured for (at least) two receivers
a. connected to a signal receiver monitoring the control channel (may be disc. tap or one of the "Inline" models).
b. connected to a control receiver configured in the Voice role; this radio must have a disc. tap.
2. Linux machine running DSD
a. DSD decodes the discriminator audio from receiver in 1(b) above.

I know - this requires two machines. However, it is possible to run one or the other as a VM host using VMWare or whatever virtual machine environment you like. WINE might be an option for an all-Linux solution. I haven't tried that.

scanlist

Unfortunately Unitrunker crashes instantly under wine in Ubuntu Linux.

The 1st window appears for a split second then disappears.

mostar

> But ... I have been also hearing from others who successfully use DSD and Unitrunker to follow voice calls > - most notably on EDACS ProVoice systems. Here's how:

Rick -
I have been running that exact setup for about 4 days now, and it is working like a champ. I'm actually pushing feeds from 2 separate Unitrunker (EDACS) instances to DSD, as well as a 3rd scanner going direct to DSD for conventional P25.

Honestly, even if/when a Windows DSD port is released, I think that particular setup would be asking a lot of a single processor...

I'm not a big WINE user, so I don't really know what might be causing the Unitrunker issues there, but I'd be surprised if there won't be a fairly simple solution.

Another option for people who insist on running both Unitrunker and DSD on a single machine might be a CoLinux installation. Topologilinux (Topologilinux - [Running Linux inside Windows]) is one I've used and, for what I was using it for at the time, it was pretty outstanding.

For me, the number of scanners needed is a bigger issue than the number of computers needed. :)
It would be great if there was a way to force an EDACS-capable scanner to not ignore ProVoice data, so you could push that directly to DSD (ahem...if anybody from GRE or Uniden is listening...)...that would give you a 'single scanner/single computer' solution right there.

SCPD

QRT
It would be great if there was a way to force an EDACS-capable scanner to not ignore ProVoice data, so you could push that directly to DSD (ahem...if anybody from GRE or Uniden is listening...)...that would give you a 'single scanner/single computer' solution right there.
Apparently the PRO-92 isn't smart enough to ignore ProVoice calls - which in this application - is actually a feature!

mostar

> Apparently the PRO-92 isn't smart enough to ignore ProVoice calls - which in this application - is actually a feature!

Good to know!

The bad news for me is that the '92 won't play nice with systems using ESK, but that will be a good solution for anybody with a non-ESK ProVoice system...

(note - i don't actually have a '92; can somebody who does confirm whether or not it will track EDACS w/ESK?)

thanks

c5corvette

I've gotten a lot of requests to add DSD decoding capabilities to Unitrunker. In the current US Patent Law climate - that won't happen. Sorry folks.

But ... I have been also hearing from others who successfully use DSD and Unitrunker to follow voice calls - most notably on EDACS ProVoice systems. Here's how:

1. Windows machine running Unitrunker configured for (at least) two receivers
a. connected to a signal receiver monitoring the control channel (may be disc. tap or one of the "Inline" models).
b. connected to a control receiver configured in the Voice role; this radio must have a disc. tap.
2. Linux machine running DSD
a. DSD decodes the discriminator audio from receiver in 1(b) above.

I know - this requires two machines. However, it is possible to run one or the other as a VM host using VMWare or whatever virtual machine environment you like. WINE might be an option for an all-Linux solution. I haven't tried that.
Besides this thread, was there another thread that discussed this topic in more detail?

Specifically, I want to not only be able to follow the voice and direct a second scanner to the voice channel, I want to not monitor certain talkgroups - is there any cc decoding program (for P25 X2) that also outputs to control a second scanner that will ultimately let me direct the second scanner to a voice channel only when/by recognizing certain group of tg's, etc. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.