Unitrunker and DSD+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnjnorton

Premium Subscriber
Looking for help trying to setup DSD+ with unitrunker. Im currently monitoring Montgomery County, PA with unitrunker without severe issues just minor static issues. I have noticed in unitrunker that many calls are Digital and figured I would have to use DSD+ to decode the audio but have no idea where to start. Any help would be great.

Reconrider

You can do it with unitrunker with a second sdr.
With dsd+ Fastlane in the notes.txt file it tells you what examples to use to make it work.

lyon141

Premium Subscriber
I tried to set mine up with that too but then I downloaded SDRTrunk and it’s way better.

noamlivne

I'm also new at this, so looking at all the options, and I just received DSD+ Faslane. Is it possible to use SDRTrunk for a P25 Phase II system? Thanks
Yep. SDRTRUNK can be used for P25 PII. I personally prefer DSD+ because SDRTRUNK is still a work in progress.

Lexxx

Yep. SDRTRUNK can be used for P25 PII. I personally prefer DSD+ because SDRTRUNK is still a work in progress.
Thanks.

Curious about quality of reception. Do you happen to know of a Broadcastify provider using 2 dongles on a p25 Phase II system I could listen to? Just hoping to find out what I could expect.

I realize there are variables, but I'm not too far from the source, and have a tuned antenna in the attic with proper cabling.

noamlivne

Thanks.

Curious about quality of reception. Do you happen to know of a Broadcastify provider using 2 dongles on a p25 Phase II system I could listen to? Just hoping to find out what I could expect.

I realize there are variables, but I'm not too far from the source, and have a tuned antenna in the attic with proper cabling.
I would say the quality is excellent (for me) in both the programs.
By the way, in both DSD+ and SDRTRUNK you can even use only one dongle. Two would give you more options, though.
I do not know about a specific Broadcastify provider.
You can start using SDRTRUNK ASAP as long as you got a dongle. Same with DSD+ but some settings are needed.

Last edited:

Reconrider

By the way, in both DSD+ and SDRTRUNK only one dongle can be used. Two would give you more options, though.
You can use 1 or more. SHould have worded it differently (lol)

You can start using SDRTRUNK ASAP as long as you got a dongle. Same with DSD+ but some settings are needed.
You can do the same with DSD+. Make a batch file and have it open up all 4 programs at once by clicking one file.

SDRTrunk you can open it up (shortcut to the desktop is my trick) then go to the channel tab and click auto play - after I think 10 seconds the system(s) selected will auto play after opening.

lyon141

Premium Subscriber
I'm also new at this, so looking at all the options, and I just received DSD+ Faslane. Is it possible to use SDRTrunk for a P25 Phase II system? Thanks
Yes, you can listen to Phase II systems and SDRTrunk has the ability to import from the radio reference database.

Lexxx

I would say the quality is excellent (for me) in both the programs.
By the way, in both DSD+ and SDRTRUNK you can even use only one dongle. Two would give you more options, though.

Thanks for the responses. I'm liking SDRTrunk. Got it up and running with one RTL2832U quite quickly, but would like to use the second identical SDR I have. I understand one SDR can be configured to remain locked on the control channel. My issue is that both dongles have the same serial number and I can't differentiate between the two. Is there a way to change the name or serial number of one of them, or is it even necessary? Does SDRTrunk somehow handle that itself. Thanks again.

noamlivne

Thanks for the responses. I'm liking SDRTrunk. Got it up and running with one RTL2832U quite quickly, but would like to use the second identical SDR I have. I understand one SDR can be configured to remain locked on the control channel. My issue is that both dongles have the same serial number and I can't differentiate between the two. Is there a way to change the name or serial number of one of them, or is it even necessary? Does SDRTrunk somehow handle that itself. Thanks again.
It is possible. To change the serial number/name of the dongle and differentiate it in SDRTrunk and other programs, please read about this tool rtltool (" It can also be used to set the dongle serial number ...")

pittsville

Looking for help trying to setup DSD+ with unitrunker. Im currently monitoring Montgomery County, PA with unitrunker without severe issues just minor static issues. I have noticed in unitrunker that many calls are Digital and figured I would have to use DSD+ to decode the audio but have no idea where to start. Any help would be great.
Your best bet is to use SDRTrunk instead. No need to fool with DSD and piping audio and all that mess you get with unitrunker.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Do you have to be a premium subscriber here to create playlists in SDRTrunk?

Reconrider

Do you have to be a premium subscriber here to create playlists in SDRTrunk?
Not at all. I think you just have to add the frequency yourself from the db instead of importing it. If your system is simulcast, you should be able to only need the CC like I do with my state trunk on sdrtrunk.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Great. I have one CC plugged in but not seeing (or hearing) any activity. Status says IDLE and getting a lot of sync loss - bits processed errors. Reception is excellent. Are any other drivers needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.