Unitrunker and P25 systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
After reading through several threads it seems that there are some issues with Unitrunker and some P25 systems. I noticed several items in the past two days that may help to shed some light on the problems. The P25 system that is Motorola in my area decodes instantly. The P25 system that is Ma/Com does not and shows no signal. However if the properties page is viewed while sitting on the Ma/Com system there is a bunch of data there. It lists the NAC as 000 and the Modulation switches back and forth betwwn CQPSK and C4FM. It also lists a number of features as available or suppported. Hopefully this information helps to further the project.

D

DaveNF2G

I tried a local 800 MHz digital system on Unitrunker today. It persistently reported "no signal." My GRE PSR-500, my Uniden 396 and 996, and my PRO-96 all track the system nicely, so I know there's a good P25 control signal.

freqhopping

Mattsenft said:
After reading through several threads it seems that there are some issues with Unitrunker and some P25 systems. I noticed several items in the past two days that may help to shed some light on the problems. The P25 system that is Motorola in my area decodes instantly. The P25 system that is Ma/Com does not and shows no signal. However if the properties page is viewed while sitting on the Ma/Com system there is a bunch of data there. It lists the NAC as 000 and the Modulation switches back and forth betwwn CQPSK and C4FM. It also lists a number of features as available or suppported. Hopefully this information helps to further the project.
That is what the one site I'm having issues with does. However I don't think it's Motorola vs M/A Com issue. I was going to post some screenshots in the other thread but I'll just do it here.

The Washington DC area JCNR system by M/A Com has a bunch of sites. My 396 and 996 can receive many of them and track them fine, but only are few are close enough to have a good enough signal for UT. But the closest and probably strongest site will not decode other than the properties. The others decode well at ~30%.

The modulation is usually C4FM but will change to CQPSK for a second at a time. Sometimes it will show a NAC.

Last edited:

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I thought it was limited to VHF P25, but I guess not. I am seeing the exact same thing on VHF P25 for Parker County TX. I get a page full of Properties, System ID, and Affiliations, but that is it. Nothing ever gets logged on any other screen, and all of my files are still emtpy with the exception of the daily log files.

Looks like there is still work to be done, but it is a great tool for figuring out these systems.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Visiting DC and am running into the same problem. Scanners track, but UniTrunker is blind to what is going on. Do you actually need a digital scanner for this? I've been using a Pro-2006 and a Pro-92 for all of the other systems I track. Some of them have digital TGs, but none are full P25 systems.

freqhopping

rescue161 said:
Visiting DC and am running into the same problem. Scanners track, but UniTrunker is blind to what is going on. Do you actually need a digital scanner for this? I've been using a Pro-2006 and a Pro-92 for all of the other systems I track. Some of them have digital TGs, but none are full P25 systems.

If you're scanner is tracking and you're hearing analog talkgroups then you are not monitoring the same systems I am refering to. They are true P25 and all digital.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No, the talkgroups are all digital, most of which are encrypted. There are no analog comms at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.