Unitrunker and RTL Dongles - Voice Static - Bell Fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoys

Hello,

I have 2 rtl dongles, 1 for signal and 1 for voice, configured in unitrunker. The signal one is following the control channel fine, but the voice one is all static. You can hear a click when someone talks but there is no audio, just static. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

I am trying to get in the Bell FleetNet Zone 1 tower.

Signal dongle is set to audio out to the vb audio cable. Voice one is set to my speakers.

I have DSD running but nothing is scrolling along.

If anyone has any input, that would be great!

SCPD

QRT
Try this ...

Switch the voice and signal receivers. This will allow you to adjust the "warp" factor to align with the control channel. Since the other RTL stick works fine on the control channel, it should also work fine for voice.

Envoys

ok i will try that and see..i assume i need to set my voice receiver to audio out to vb cable as well as the talkgroups are digital? shows on this as digital...

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=861

just from 1 call, i had nothing come out the audio, but this was in dsd:

Code:
Sync:  -P25p1     mod: C4FM inlvl: 99% filt: 1 nac:  599 src:        0 tg:     0
  LDU1  e:=======R=========R========R========RM=========R======R======R=======RM========R
Sync: (-P25p1)    mod: C4FM inlvl: 41% filt: 1 nac:  E3E src:        0 tg:     0
  LDU1  e:======R==========R=========RM=========R=========R=========R=========RM========R===========R
Sync: no sync

i am almost wondering if my 1 dongle is broke...it has no light on it but if i use it in sdrsharp, i can get to the control channel and calibrate the PPM accordingly. There is no way to test this just using 1 dongle?

Envoys

it seems everytime dsd picks something up from the voice channel, the inlvl is over 90%, most of the time 99%...i am using windows xp, how to i get that down to 30% or so? i read somewhere it should be around 30%.

EDIT:

Didn't realize control channel wasn't muted, that got rid of the 99% but it's still around 70% or so, i've adjusted the line recording volume and its practically at 0 and still can't hear properly. the odd time i'll hear something but it cuts in and out. any ideas how to get the levels fixed?

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Those NAC's are not right for the system you're trying to listen to.

I'm not familiar with Unitrunker but have you entered some sort of bandplan?

Envoys

Yes. I entered band plane based on link above. I turned auto gain on and it seems to work more now but it keeps cutting in and out can't really follow a convo.

Are you familiar with trunk88 at all? I was trying it but can't figure out the PP10M correction. In sdrsharp and unitrunker I have to use ppm 78 and 93 not sure what that is in pp10m or if trunk88 will even output audio to dsd.

Envoys

I'll try that...i think i need better antennas, i am just using the ones that came with the dongles. It's strange, 1 dongle will get 100 health on the control channel, but there seems to be lots of noise/static on the voice channel when it tunes to a frequency...is there anyway to fix that?

SCPD

QRT
Signal dongle is set to audio out to the vb audio cable. Voice one is set to my speakers.
Oops. I missed this.

DSD decodes the data from the voice channel, not the control channel. You want to pipe the voice receiver through VB cable to DSD.

Note - with that setup - you lose the ability to follow analog calls (yeah, I'm working on that).

To prevent the program from routing analog calls to your DSD backed voice receiver - un-check the "Analog" box for that receiver.

I'm working on adding separate analog vs. digital output paths on the voice receiver.

Envoys

thanks...seem like i have it going good now just a minor few things to work out....interference issues.

Excellent news to have audio out separate from analog, if you need a tester, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.