UniTrunker and screen readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
I want to watch a local EDACS system. My screen reader can't find where you set the radio type. It would be nice if there was a button to click to set the radio type.

Thanks
Don

SCPD

QRT
Hi Don;

My screen reader can't find where you set the radio type.

Sorry, coffee must have kicked in yet. What radio type? Are you configuring a receiver? Maybe you mean the text label user to describe a radio ID?

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
I own a psr 500. I can see the receiver button. I can not find the + sighn to setup the program to work with my radio. If you can place a text tag where you setup the program to work with the radio that would be great.

Thanks
Don

SCPD

QRT
Hi Don;

Some screen readers depend upon the GetWindowText API to extract text from a window. I think the screen readers can also extract menu text in a similar manner.

This will give you the caption text for each window. However, Unitrunker does not use menus. It also doesn't use standard Microsoft Windows controls (like static text boxes, check boxes, edit boxes). I could replace the plus-sign glyph with text, but your screen reader still would not be able to to extract that text to apply text-to-speech.

After getting a receiver configured with your PSR500 tuned to an active control channel, the program displays a site window. The implication here is that user experience would be poor since the screen reader would also have difficulty using the site window to describe active call traffic.

he program allows setting high contrast with a large font - which will help users with poor eyesight. However, for users dependent upon a screen reader, I can't think of an easy way to make it work.

Microsoft provides an accessibility API for circumstances like this but I currently lack the experience to make that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.