UniTrunker - Control Via Discriminator. Voice with dongle??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkillins

I have searched the site to the best of my ability, and Googled with no specific answer to my question. Perhaps there is no answer. I figure I won't know until I ask, and what better place to ask than here.

I can accurately decode my local mixed digital and analogue Motorola Type II SmartZone system using a discriminator tapped scanner and unitrunker.

Is it possible to follow voice now with a RTL-SDR dongle? If so, how do I do this?

rkillins

It is doable.
But I struggle with one issue.
Being a mixed analogue and digital system, I am able to monitor both voice. However, despite any effort to adjust the squelch (on voice receiver VCO) I am getting a 2-3 second trailing squelch after every analogue transmission. I have tried different squelch values and Deemphasis combinations. At squelch setting of 60 and deemphasis checked, I receive no analogue traffic.
Thank you!

Last edited:

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
rkillins, I have the same problem with 2 of my rtl's as well. Just what you
explained, mind does it. I tried different setting but have not gotten the squelch
to open and close like a radio would. Only thing I can think of for me is that I
have 4 rtl's, with 2 being without the txco chip. When I get time I will try them
and see what happens.

slicerwizard

It is doable.
But I struggle with one issue.
Being a mixed analogue and digital system, I am able to monitor both voice. However, despite any effort to adjust the squelch (on voice receiver VCO) I am getting a 2-3 second trailing squelch after every analogue transmission. I have tried different squelch values and Deemphasis combinations. At squelch setting of 60 and deemphasis checked, I receive no analogue traffic.
Thank you!
I assume you're monitoring Fleetnet. FYI, TRUNK88 uses end code detection to completely eliminate squelch tails on analog calls. Links to DSD+ via virtual cable to handle digital calls. Requires two dongles - one for the control channel, one for voice. Minimal CPU loading (easily runs on an Atom netbook)

Main download: http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/TRUNK88/Win32-TRUNK88-489W.zip

Last update (fixes some rare bugs): http://home.ica.net/~phoenix/wap/TRUNK88/Win32-TRUNK88-490A.zip

I use it on Fleetnet; no issues here.

Again, just FYI...

Status
Not open for further replies.