Unitrunker displays voice channels with no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

morha13

Hello,

I'm using sdr #, dsd plus and unitrunker and virtual audio cable. I'm setting my sdr sharp on a control channel and then it gives me the list of frequencies. Then when I see there's someone transmitting on a voice channel, i quickly go to sdr sharp and tune to that frequency, but when I go there there's nothing there. Sometimes just weird sounds (not even p25 sounds) or just nothing..

I know my dsd plus is working fine because I caught some voice channels few times just by scanning manually. Also I can see it recognizes the control channels.

What am I doing wrong?

Also for some of the channels I get this output from dsdplus:
https://i.gyazo.com/f1990098c3b149bc7b6b4eb28677c310.png

What does it mean?

Thank you.

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Your'e making it too complicated, you don't need SDR# for this. Assuming you have 2 dongles or tapped scanners, you need to setup 2 receivers in Unitrunker, a control channel receiver and a voice receiver. The control channel receiver is simply parked on the control channel. Then you setup a voice receiver, with the digital output piped to DSD+ via a virtual audio cable. Does that make sense?

morha13

Your'e making it too complicated, you don't need SDR# for this. Assuming you have 2 dongles or tapped scanners, you need to setup 2 receivers in Unitrunker, a control channel receiver and a voice receiver. The control channel receiver is simply parked on the control channel. Then you setup a voice receiver, with the digital output piped to DSD+ via a virtual audio cable. Does that make sense?

Actually, right now I have only one dongle that's why I'm using sdr sharp to tune manually. I already ordered a second dongle it should arrive very soon.. But still I'm worried that even after the second dongle arrives I won't be able to get it to work because I can't even do it manually..

Also I tried to use unitrunker with one dongle and for some reason it says "Could not open" when I press start.

Do you have any idea what I can do about it? Or maybe I should just wait until the second dongle arrives..

Anyways thank you so much for your reply!

morha13

*sigh*.

I do not know.

Hi,

I just got another dongle, and it does the exact same thing with the new one.
I've tried to connect both of the dongles to a different PC but the same thing occurs..

Can you please help me solve it?
Is there any log files I can send or any software that can monitor what causes this issue?

Both dongles works perfectly with SDRSharp and FMP..

Just pointing out I made sure no other software using the devices is opened. I even restarted my pc and opened nothing but unitrunker and yet the same thing happens.

Thank you!

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Are you running Zadiag.exe before you try it in SDR#?

If not, go into the program folder and run "install.bat" then
find Zadiag.exe and run it. At the top select your dongle or
"bulk-in ..." then hit reinstall driver. After that try SDR# again

morha13

Are you running Zadiag.exe before you try it in SDR#?

If not, go into the program folder and run "install.bat" then
find Zadiag.exe and run it. At the top select your dongle or
"bulk-in ..." then hit reinstall driver. After that try SDR# again

Hi,

I tried to reinstall the drivers but it didn't work. Also running "install-rtlsdr.bat" didn't change anything. My SDR# works fine and I can listen to different frequencies with it, but for some reason unitrunker says "Could not open!" when doing it.

just incase you didn't see my last comment, here is a video showing the problem when running unitrunker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vjIGD2Fu0

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

SCPD

QRT
When you run Zadig and select either RTL stick, what driver does Zadig show as assigned to the device?

morha13

When you run Zadig and select either RTL stick, what driver does Zadig show as assigned to the device?

It says WinUSB and it gives me the option to reinstall it..
I have noticed some suspicious things though. After i uninstalled the driver (from Windows device manager) and plugged in the dongle, it automatically installed WinUSB without using Zadig. Second thing, after i installed the driver just for my first dongle, it installed it also for the second one.
Also I have to press List all devices in Zadig to see them. Even after i installed the driver (I'm not sure if it's spouse to be that way).
I do have a suspicion that something with the drivers is installed incorrectly but it just can figure out what's wrong.. i followed tens of tutorials and everything seems just right. Also other softwares like sdrsharp and fmp does work, so it's seems like the drivers are fine.

Also forgot to mention, i have the exact same problem on another pc.

I really want to solve this problem out. Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate everyone for helping!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Two easy ways to check:

1. Pop open the plastic case and look for a chip labelled R820T or R820T2.

2. Turn on tuner logging and attempt to start the SDR. An entry in the log file should tell you whether it found a compatible tuner chip.

morha13

Two easy ways to check:

1. Pop open the plastic case and look for a chip labelled R820T or R820T2.

2. Turn on tuner logging and attempt to start the SDR. An entry in the log file should tell you whether it found a compatible tuner chip.

I have something called FC0012 or something like that.

Just wondering, what's the difference between R820T and R820T2?

Thank you for your help!
I ordered another two dongles, made sure they're R820T. I'll update here when i get them and if they work.

SCPD

QRT
I have something called FC0012 or something like that.
Ah, one of the Fitipower chips.

UniTrunker | Realtek

Just wondering, what's the difference between R820T and R820T2?
The 'T2 is register compatible with the 'T chip. The noise specs are slightly better - especially above 1 Ghz (which is of no concern for trunking).

The newer RTL sticks from Nooelec and RTL-SDR.com are better than the original cheap TV tuner sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.