Unitrunker / DSD+ - No Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
I've searched hi/lo and struggled for days, with no luck. Maybe someone here can help.

I'm trying to listen to a digital system using two dongles and struggling with DSD+. At least that's where I think the issue is. Of the many options available in DSD+, it's not clear whether only a VC is needed or what. So with Unitrunker locked on the CC, I've tried running some or all of the options (FMP, VC, CC, FMP-VC, FMP-CC) in various orders/versions, and the best result I get is with running FMP-VC, which results in a gray box (upper left) where I believe a signal should be, and no audio. A split second of hiss is heard when the box appears, but then nothing. The window on the lower left contains the info/results from running only FMP-VC.

Having said that, I have Unitrunker working quite well on an analog EDACS system with one dongle (without DSD+). So the issue seems to be with DSD+ and/or something I've overlooked.

I have the latest versions of Unitrunker/DSD+ and two RTL2832U R820T2 TCXO receivers, and get the same results with both receivers. One thing to note here is that if both dongles are used by Unitrunker (CC/VC), DSD+ throws an error stating it can't open either device since they are obviously in use. So I'm pointing UT to one, and DSD+ to the other. I'm at a loss because most everyone else is having success.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

screen.jpg

Last edited:

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I should've mentioned that VB-Cable and the dongle drivers have been installed (Zadig). I'm using VB-Cable with the analog system I mentioned, and I'd like to think that if it were misconfigured, I wouldn't hear anything or be able to adjust the volume output level. But I can.

I've poured over countless articles/threads/videos to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and DSD+ or ??? isn't cooperating. I've run CCleaner, messed with the audio settings, rebooted many times, plugged each dongle in, one at a time, testing them separately, checked firewall settings including disabling, all with no luck.

Not sure, but maybe DSD+ needs another switch or two for this to work, or that I need to run more than one of the batch files?

Contents of the batch file I've been running:
FMP -i2 -o2 -P0.4 -rv

Contents of the FMP.cfg file:
2.0 ; sampling rate (1.0, 2.0 or 2.4)
512 ; spectrum window width
32 ; FFT size (8k, 16k, 32k)
10 ; spectrum update rate in Hz
5000 -6250 7500 12500 15000 25000 ; step size table; units = Hz; negate default
D:\Data\DSD+ ; DSD+ path
.\FMP-FreqList.csv ; primary frequency list CSV path\filename
.\FMP-FreqList2.csv ; auxiliary frequency list CSV path\filename
miles ; search units (miles or kilometers)
99.9 ; search distance
19.7163 -155.6241 ; search origin

Dog

If you are using VB Cable for analog do you have a second one set up for digital?

You shouldn't need to run a batch file. With the dongles using Unitrunker, DSD+ gets its signal from audio.

I don't know anything about FMP if you are trying to use that instead of Unitrunker.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Output on both receivers in Unitrunker is set to VB Cable, and I disable or stop the analog system when troubleshooting.

Being new to SDR's I have limited knowledge of DSD+. But FMP is the executable that runs out of the batch file along with any necessary switches in order for DSD+ to work.

So Unitrunker is for the signal/voice, DSD+ is for decoding the digital voice, and VB Cable is to handle the audio routing between them.

Dog

FMP is a replacement for Unitrunker, SDR#, etc. If you are using Unitrunker you don't use FMP.

If you haven't you should go through the tutorial I posted earlier. You can start on step 3. You can use the settings for the second VCO on your voice dongle.

Also you can use speakers for audio output and use vb cable for digital output.

DSD automatically listens to the default recording device. You can run DSDPlus.exe to start it. NOT a batch file.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

FMP is a signal source for DSD+. If you're running Unitrunker, UT is the signal source. So no FMP. Stop trying to use it. You're supposed to tell Unitrunker to send the digital audio signals to VB Cable and you tell DSD+ to get its signal from that audio cable.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Dog, I followed the link you sent and several more similar to it.

SW, ack'd.

UT, I have uninstalled/reinstalled UT and followed and verified my settings from the steps in your Digital Voice VCO section many times, and all I hear is motorboating and hissing. I may be wrong, but I assumed since VAC/VB Cable and DSD were mentioned in the same section that they're required when using your app. So that's what I was attempting to do.

Thanks for everyone's input. Still in learning mode and am open to anything to get this working.

Dog

If you go back to your original set up with one dongle and listening to the analog system does everything work again?

What system are you trying to listen to? Can you post a link to it in the database?

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
Please post a screen shot of both VCO tabs for the receiver you use for the Denver Provoice system.

Beware - both systems have voice channels more than 2 Mhz away from the control channel(s). The program needs a second RTL stick to follow calls on those channels. Likewise, the control channels for the DTRS sites can be more than 2 Mhz away from the active control channel on the Denver system. To monitor both systems and listen to one active voice call at a time, you'll need three RTL sticks.

Last edited:

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
signal.jpg

voice.jpg

I noticed I was missing a lot with Denver International Airport and actually thought that was why, but wasn't sure now to address it. So that is good to know. And, I actually lose some of the conversations on the analog system, but not near as much after setting priority on the TG's. It's a busy system and hard to follow anyway unless you narrow it down. Thanks

Dog

Did you enter the frequencies manually? ProVoice doesn't carry that information you have to enter them manually.
On the window that pops up click on the Home button "top left, below the strength meter. Then on the bottom tabs click "Channels" Enter each one from the database. There are 20 on the system you listed.

The LCNs in the top screenshot do not match the ProVoice system you linked.

SCPD

QRT
To Dog - good advice on filling out the voice channel frequencies. The top image is a P25 system.

To 4436time - the "Audio Output" should point to your speakers, not VB or VAC. Looks like you correctly pointed the "Digital Output" to VB cable.

If you want ProVoice calls forwarded to DSD+, please check the "ProVoice" box.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Dog, good question. They must've auto-populated because I didn't enter them manually.

UT, good points. So DSD+ is required to hear digital. Still have to figure it out...

Also, if it doesn't hurt to leave the audio output set to VB Cable (doesn't seem to), I would prefer to since it allows me to adjust the volume independently of the system volume.

lcn1.jpg

Dog

Also, if it doesn't hurt to leave the audio output set to VB Cable (doesn't seem to), I would prefer to since it allows me to adjust the volume independently of the system volume.

You downloaded the information from the database. I don't remember seeing that you were a premium subscriber before. They are there now that is all that matters.

From your last screen shots it looks like the voice receiver is following the talk groups. If that is true Unitrunker is doing everything it is supposed to do.If this is not true you still have some work to do in Unitrunker.

Also don't forget to check ProVoice in the voice section of the voice device.

The only settings you have to mess with now are VB Cable.

Until you get it working my advice would be to set it up as you were suggested. Make analog audio output, sound mapper, speakers, or unspecified. Once you get it working you can experiment. If you had the VB cable audio turned down this is why DSDPlus wasn't doing anything you have the signal turned down. (See below.)

Set digital output to VB Cable

Did you set VB Cable as your default recording device? Right click the speaker icon, click recording devices, right click "Line 1", select "Set as default device".

With Unitrunker running and both devices running open DSDPlus.exe 4 windows will open, you should have audio soon.

One more thing that doesn't matter yet but it might in the near future. The free version of VB Cable is limited to one cable. DSDPlus is listening to that cable. You use that volume to control the signal that DSDPlus hears. To loud can cause decode problems as will to low.

If you want to use another cable to independently control something else you will have to pay for VB Cable and add another "cable" then you would have "line 1" and "line 2" you would set digital to which ever you have the default recording device set to.

Last edited:

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Dog, thanks for your help. It turned out to be the latest version or DSD+ or something I was doing, but I downloaded the previous version, set up a batch file with a few switches, and off it went. Unbelievable. Hearing some pretty clean audio at the moment.

Just need to pare down the selection on the DTRS system and find a way to simulate scan lists/faves, and need to find out if the file containing the TG's can be modified and different versions saved and copied in/out with a batch file?

Status
Not open for further replies.