UniTrunker - How do you add large chunks of data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I thought I was able to edit the xml file using Excel, but I got the dreaded "Cannot save or export XML data" message.

What are others using to edit/add large chunks of data? I have several thousand TGIDs that I want to add, but doing it inside of the Windows UniTrunker would take way too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Scott!

The XML file is just a text file with some structure. The Group element describes a talk group. Here's a quick example:

<Group id="1234" label="Dispatch" color="FF00" rank="50" hits="0" />

You'll need to figure out a way to get your data into this format. Safest way is to export a system to a separate XML file - hand edit the file - then re-import the XML data.

SCPD

QRT
Open the system window. There are two tool buttons that look like floppy disks. One of them is the Export tool.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I guess I'm using an old version as I only see one disk icon. It is version 1.0.27.19. Found it. I also upgraded to the newest. Thank you.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
After many failures, I finally figured it out. Just for anyone else out there trying to import data, UniTrunker does not like the "&" character. Took me forever to finally find that that was my problem.

I took the data that I had in Excel and used a few formulas to force my data into a blank column in the format that UniTrunker wanted. Then saved that file as Delimited Text to keep the format. I then opened that file with Word and used the replace function to delete all of the (return) paragraph entries. Then I opened the unitrunker.xml file using notepad and copied the data from the Word doc and pasted it into the unitrunker.xml file. Saved it and then moved it to the UniTrunker folder.

It was an odd-ball way to do it, but all of the data made it through unscathed. During my copying/pasting, the xml file kept failing to open, so I had to keep pasting small amounts of data until I found the problem with the "&" symbol. Used Word again to replace the "&" with a "/" and all was well.

It would certainly be nice to have an upload feature so folks don't have to use this work-around. I still love UniTrunker. It's an awesome tool. Thank you for making and continuing to support this wonderful resource.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Use &amp; instead of & and it'll work just fine in the XML.

So for example, if you want to display M&M Peanut in Unitrunker, put it in the XML file as M&amp;M Peanut and you won't have any issues.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Use &amp; instead of & and it'll work just fine in the XML.

So for example, if you want to display M&M Peanut in Unitrunker, put it in the XML file as M&amp;M Peanut and you won't have any issues.

Well hot damn, that also works here in the DB! I've always been stymied by the DB dropping all data after the '&' when working submissions. Now I can work around it!

Status
Not open for further replies.