Unitrunker Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I am able to run Unitrunker in conjunction with my PSR 500 to decode CC activity on Zone 4 of the Mass State Police TRS but am having some problems with editing and edits not being saved.

1 - When I run the program the channel section is not showing any frequencies. I have to manually enter the CC and all related voice channels. I thought this program would decode all of this?

2 - When I edit a talkgroup with an alpha tag and assign a color to it, those edits are not being saved although when I close the program it tells me that all info has been saved and do I want to close the program? Why are these edits not there the next time I run the program? I know I can just download the system from the database but I'd like to edit specific things to my liking.

3 - Is there a way to take an entire listing of talkgroups and assign a color to them all at once or is one at a time the only way?

I hope I am describing my issues properly, and any help is appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
1 - When I run the program the channel section is not showing any frequencies. I have to manually enter the CC and all related voice channels. I thought this program would decode all of this?
This is normal for Motorola UHF/VHF and EDACS. There are no standard bandplans for these systems. For Motorola 935 Mhz there is only one plan.

For Motorola 851 Mhz systems like yours, there are only five or so bandplans.

When you manually fill in the control channel frequency, the program will compare it to the known plans and pick the best match (starting with the default 851 Mhz bandplan in your main Options tab).

You can use the band wizard to expedite this process. It will zap all the site's frequencies to fit your selected plan.

Checking the database, looks like the sites in your area are either "Rebanded" or "Standard".

Since you have a PSR-500, the program knows to pull the active control channel from the radio to help in deducing the system type and bandplan.

2 - When I edit a talkgroup with an alpha tag and assign a color to it, those edits are not being saved although when I close the program it tells me that all info has been saved and do I want to close the program? Why are these edits not there the next time I run the program?
Good question. Check the Windows short-cut you use to launch the program. It may be mis-configured to use the Program Files directory as the program's working folder for data. This folder is normally read-only.

3 - Is there a way to take an entire listing of talkgroups and assign a color to them all at once or is one at a time the only way?
Yep. Hold down the shift key and move up/down with the arrow keys to highlight multiple talkgroups. Click the Inspect tool. You can edit all of the selected items at once in the popup talkgroup panel.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Progress;

The wizard fills in all related voice channels now, that's good. Still not able to save any edits. If I create a shortcut to my desktop it does nor run the program, I only get a window asking to repair or uninstall Unitrunker. I click repair and it completes but still cannot launch the program using this shortcut. I can only run the program from the start button/icon. FWIW, I'm running Windows 7, does that matter?

JoeyC

I've had some problems with stuff like that in Unitrunker as well, but not sure what has changed. Things seem to be saving now.

BTW I am running the program via a shortcut I put on the desktop that points to: C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Roaming\UniTrunker\ as the Start In location. Not sure if this is correct but it seems to work and save.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Are you allowed to? Right click your UT desktop icon, go to the security tab under properties and see if you are allowed to make changes. I had issues with several programs where changing the permissions let me do stuff.

chris

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Ok, but how do I know if I'm allowed to make changes? Are you saying I need to run the program as Administrator?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind also that when I create a desktop icon that icon will NOT run the program. I need to go to start, find the program, then launch it from there. I'd like to figure that one out too.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Yes, run the program as administrator and see if you can make changes. If that works, change the permissions and try that.
I had a similar issue with Win 7 where the desktop pointed to a location I created. When I updated the program, it went to the default location and my link would no longer work.

chris

SCPD

QRT
In principle, you should not run a program as administrator unless it calls for it.

The start menu selection *is* a shortcut. Instead of clicking with the left mouse button, you can click with the right mouse button and select "properties" to see how the shortcut is configured.

The target directory should point to the program files folder. Make sure the "Start in" directory points to a place you have read/write access as a normal user.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I am again at a loss as to why I am unable to save anything. Everytime I start the program it's as if I am starting 100% from scratch again. I can run the program fine. I can download the specific trunk system and zone fine, I can edit certain items and colors fine,Scanner is decoding everything fine but when I close the program the window tells me all data has been saved, but when I run the program the next time it is NOT saved. Am I missing something? Is Unitrunker saving these changes in a file somewhere? If so, where are the files located? What am I doing wrong?

SCPD

QRT
On the main options tab, click on the data path. It defaults to your working folder (as configured in the start menu shortcut).

You can also click on the folder icon of any receiver or site window to see the log file directory for that site or receiver respectively; which are one folder below your working directory.

Have you examined the start menu shortcut you use to launch the program? What does it show?

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I am trying my best to follow these directions and am extremely appreciative, but I can not get any edits to save no matter what I do. The program runs fine ( fixed the desktop icon issue), I downloaded the TRS site, I make some edits, but they just won't save when I go back afterwards and run the program. Is this software suppose to SAVE a file somewhere like programming software? (WIN, ARC?) The URL's, paths, etc are done verbatim as per the instructions.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
What should the path be then? I am using the exact information as shown in the Unitrunker setup pages.

JoeyC

for starters Junior, why don't you paste your START IN path as shown in the properties of the desktop icon.

Mine is configured as I wrote above and saves everything I change. I am at a loss as to where the "program" file is, all that exists in that folder are xml files and empty folders. I cannot open the program by clicking unitrunker.xml in there or by clicking on the unitrunker.exe file located in the PROGRAM FILES folder as suggested by Unitrunker (the user).

The PATH under the program OPTIONS tab (for me) is simply a . (dot) . I have the Auto Save option NOT selected.

With this, everytime I change something under USERS or GROUPS it is saved properly.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I right clicked on the Unitrunker desktop icon, selected properties, here's what it shows under start in ;

"C:\Program Files\UniTrunker"

If I copy/paste this into the path in the Unitrunker path line, just under the URL line, I am still unable to save anything. Just tried to do some edits after downloading the MSP Trunk site I wish to monitor. I believe this is what you are asking me to do?

SCPD

QRT
"C:\Program Files\UniTrunker"
Bingo. That's the problem. The program files go in this folder. On modern versions of Windows, normal users are not allowed to write data to this folder. That's why you can't save anything.

I suggest this:

1. uninstall the program
2. search for any remaining shortcuts - including the start menu - and delete them.
3. re-install the program

The installation should create a new shortcut that places your Unitrunker data folder (not the folder where the EXE files go) under your "APPDATA" folder. The exact location of your APPDATA folder varies by Windows version (and username).

To see your APPDATA folder, type "%APPDATA%" in Windows Explorer.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so by removing/uninstalling everything, then reinstalling Unitrunker "should" give a different "path" address? Is this my problem? Won't get to this till tonight, but at least the problem is narrowed down. Also, I am running Windows 7 HP if that factors into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.