Unitrunker question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
As many folks here already know, my live feed is currently powered by Unitrunker, SDR# and DSD+. It's working great (take a listen if you're curious how well these programs currently work) but I have a quick question about Unitrunker: Is there an automated way to keep Unitrunker from tuning encrypted talkgroups on P25 systems?

I've noticed that Unitrunker knows when a talkgroup it encounters is encrypted (it marks them with a P on the calls list) but it still tries to tune them anyway unless I manually go in and lock them out. I keep locking them out when I find them, but new ones keep showing up. It'd be nice if there was a way to simply prevent Unitrunker from tuning those talkgroups automatically.

If there's not currently a way to do that, can this be added in a future release? Seems silly to tune a talkgroup that Unitrunker already knows is encrypted and therefore unmonitorable anyway.

Thanks for the great program! My scanner feed would not have been possible without it!
-AZ

SCPD

QRT
The program does not normally do that. When I'm scanning a site that is 90% encrypted, the voice receiver stays quiet. There may be a bug in deciding whether to route a call to the debug receiver. I'll check this out.

I should add ... if the program misses the call grant, this can happen.

Last edited:

AZScanner

OK, I took some time yesterday to watch what was happening more closely. I think you're right - due to the way I use the same dongle for voice and control channel data it is likely missing the call grant and hopping over to the encrypted channel without realizing it's encrypted. In that case, there's not much Unitrunker can do. I'll have to account for this some other way on my feed.

Some ideas for a future release (selfishly suggested to make managing my feed easier lol):

1. The ability to create a scan list of "whitelisted" ID's for each system along with an option to scan just the ID's a user has "whitelisted" or the whole system.

2. An option to automatically lock out any ID's that aren't tagged (for example if I download a TRS from RR and then a bunch of talkgroups show up that aren't in the database, I want the option to skip those).

Either or both would mean I could pretty much fire it up and leave it be for my scanner feed, since most of these troublesome encrypted talkgroups I keep running into aren't listed in the RRDB. ;)

Thanks again for the awesome program! It has really evolved into a great tool to have in the arsenal.

-AZ

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Phil.

The lockout checkbox can be used to lockout known encrypted groups.

You can also set a listen ranking far away from your listening threshold.

The next official release will make what you're doing easier.

AZScanner

Thanks Phil.

The lockout checkbox can be used to lockout known encrypted groups.

You can also set a listen ranking far away from your listening threshold.

The next official release will make what you're doing easier.

Yeah, I just lock 'em out when I happen to come across them, but I swear they make up new ones on this system daily. Very aggravating... ;)

At any rate, thanks for the great work, looking forward to the new version!
-AZ

SCPD

QRT
In that case, go to the Groups tab of the System window and edit the group prototype for that system (tool button). The prototype is the template used each time a new group is created. There is also a user prototype.

Check lockout. From that point forward, each *new* talkgroup will be locked out by default.

AZScanner

In that case, go to the Groups tab of the System window and edit the group prototype for that system (tool button). The prototype is the template used each time a new group is created. There is also a user prototype.

Check lockout. From that point forward, each *new* talkgroup will be locked out by default.

Brilliant! I never even knew that feature existed! Works great, thanks again!

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.