Unitrunker, RTL, and control channel hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am using a multi-RTL setup to monitor an EDACS system, and I've found that when the control channel changes on this EDACS system, Unitrunker fails to "hunt down" the new control channel being used when told to do so.. It instead hangs on the existing control channel and reports "degraded"a signal strength with yellow bars (via the colored signal strength indicator). There are times when I see she *HAS* tried to hunt, but just didn't land her prey (all the sudden parked on a another confirmed control channel but not the active one.)

I've enabled the "chase" boolean and adjusted the dwell value to to no avail. All known control channels are marked as "control" and "confirmed"

What am I missing?

joeuser

The Wretched
If the CC changes the bar should just go black, not yellow with a low signal strength... Don't you think? Is it picking up a distant CC?

SCPD

QRT
A few suggestions ...

1. don't use any more gain on the RTL stick than actually needed.
2. adjust squelch to be quiet when there's no control channel.
3. turn off the decoders that don't actually decode anything - DMR, NXDN and ProVoice.

If you're only monitoring EDACS96, you can turn off the other trunking protocols - including EDACS48.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, I've turned off Auto Gain, set gain to 350 (seems to be the best) and upped the squelch to 300 for the signal RTLs (it was set to 0).

Will see how this works out.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.