Unitrunker SDR# setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrady

I have 2 Terretec dongles with the E4000 tuners. I want to run SDR# with Unitrunker with DSD+.The videos on Youtube don't really explain much and poorly narrated with music playing. Are there any specific instructions on how to access the appropriate files? Thank You. Tony.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I have 2 Terretec dongles with the E4000 tuners. I want to run SDR# with Unitrunker with DSD+.The videos on Youtube don't really explain much and poorly narrated with music playing. Are there any specific instructions on how to access the appropriate files? Thank You. Tony.

Here is some new information: UniTrunker | Realtek

SCPD

QRT
Hi Tony;

Are there any specific instructions on how to access the appropriate files?

Get your RTL/E4000 tuners working and calibrated with SDR#.

SDR# Quick Start Guide

Don't bother with the following steps until SDR# works with both tuners.

Install VB Audio Cable (like VAC but free). Each "cable" is a separate driver - you'll need two.

VB-Audio Virtual Cable

Install DSD or DSD+.

Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki
DSDPlus - The RadioReference Wiki (suggested)

Install Unitrunker (current version is Release 27).

http://www.unitrunker.com/download/UniTrunker-1.0.27.19.msi

You'll need to create two folders for two separate copies of SDR#. Make a copy of your existing (working) SDR# folder with a different name. We'll call them "A" and "B".

Configure a discriminator only signal receiver in Unitrunker.

UniTrunker | Receivers

Configure SDR# "A" to send it's audio to VB Audio cable #1. Configure the signal receiver in Unitrunker to accept the audio from cable #1 as its input.

Tune SDR# "A" to a known control channel. Use narrow FM demodulation with a bandwidth of 7 khz. Clear the check box that says "Filter Audio". The signal receiver window in Unitrunker has an oscilloscope tab where you should see an active audio waveform. Mute this receiver so you won't hear the control channel noise.

At this point you should see a site window appear displaying call activity.

If you can get this far, you're half-way there. Let us know your progress and we can walk you through setting up SDR# "B" for voice following.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What would be the minimum computer requirement to run two instances of SDR# and UniTrunker without lag in display and voice?

I see the advantage in looking for an active control channel and tracking at the same time, but isn't UniTrunker able to do both the tracking and voice following using the two SDR dongles? Or is this the only working method?

I can run two SDR dongles, so what would be the next step?

SCPD

QRT
What would be the minimum computer requirement to run two instances of SDR# and UniTrunker without lag in display and voice?
You want something with USB 2.0 (some XP era systems only have USB 1.1). A 2006 or 2007 vintage Pentium IV will a decent clock rate (2.8+ Ghz) will work fine. You can purchase these used for cheap ($99 or so).

I see the advantage in looking for an active control channel and tracking at the same time, but isn't UniTrunker able to do both the tracking and voice following using the two SDR dongles? Or is this the only working method?
Yes. However, Unitrunker only supports the R820T tuner. The OP specified Elonics E4000 tuners - which aren't supported. For tuners other than the R820T - you have to fall back to using separate SDR software and VAC or VBCable to pipe the audio into Unitrunker for decoding.

If you have two R820T tuners, try these instructions ...

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-following-trunked-radio-unitrunker/

Status
Not open for further replies.