Unitrunker - Selecting Talk Groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspicer

I finally got Unitracker and SDR# to work with 2 NooElec USB dongles. My advice don't try to find an easy way ... there isn't one. Trying to find easy just makes you do even more work, which does make you more familiar which is probably better right? Thank G for me the system here is open audio so I didn't need virtual audio cables (which stole my computers audio by the way without asking!) or DD whatever P25 decoder. So I guess I get back the CPU cycles that those things would have eaten.

Broward Sheriff Trunk System here ... Main System has a shoot load of talk groups. When I first got it working on the control channel - it just jumped around frequencies and talk groups like a Mexican Jumping bean. Whoahhh Cowboy! How to get the reins on this horsey and just listen to the area where I'm at and maybe teletype and some tactical of the BSO. BUT ... No LOCKOUT ALL option? Have to spend MANY HOURS locking out the most active talk id's and then others still keep popping up. Can you edit a file for this with Graphical VI Improved? and do a "1,$ s/foo/bar/g" ? and set all of the groups to off. Then you would only have a few to turn back on.

Also the HOLD on channel with Squelch and Signal Strength doesn't seem to work. It stops it ... but it stays stopped despite squelch or signal having dropped.

Seem even with my priority group it drops it in the middle of stuff ... not sure if that's my antenna signal being weak or if Unitrunker is sending another update to the file causing it to jump off the group / freq. and go to parked.

aspicer

(Close the Unitrunker program before editing the file that I now describe so it is saved updated and safe.)

This does exist ... it is in Unitrunker.xml. But you have to be careful because "lockout ="0"" lines exist both for Trunking GROUPS and USERS. GROUPS was first in the file from the top of the file. USERS was towards the bottom. So to make editing with VI editor easier and not clobbering the user settings when I only wanted to do the GROUPS, I renamed the lines for the users from "lockout" to "LUCKOUT" even though I didn't use capital letters (I just did that here to highlight it.). Then I did a ":1,$s/lockout=0/lockout=1/g" and pressed my ENTER key. Then I went back and renamed all the LUCKOUT's to lockouts and saved the file. Restart Unitrunker and SDR# and go check the talk groups. All are "x" locked out. Sweet!!!!! Go un-lockout the one that I want and see if that GROUP comes back online? It does. Sweet!!!!

You may have your own favorite text file editor ... one that can replace things as well. But for me it's easier to use the good old Unix VI for such things. If there's an easier way to set the TALK GROUPS on and off without having to OPEN each line and hit the X for hours on end ... please let me know. Thanks!

73 de KA4UDX,

Alan Spicer

SCPD

QRT
Hi Alan;

There's a template / prototype talkgroup and user for each system. Each time a new group or user is discovered and added, a copy of the prototype is used to fill out all fields - like label, listening priority, color and so on.

You can also use the multi-select feature to highlight multiple rows, then click the Inspect button to edit them all at once (like check / uncheck lockout or set listening priority).

The listening priority threshold is in the Listen section of the Options tab on the main program window. Priority 10 is more important than priority 20 and so on. The detault talkgroup priority (unless set in the group prototype) is 50. Instead of locking out 50+ talkgroups, set the listen priority to 49. Select the few groups you want to hear and set their priority to 10, 20, 30, 40 or whatever suits your needs.

aspicer

I didn't find that multi-select feature ... I guess I will have to try again to find how to use that.

If I set the talk group priorities to 49 - won't it still scan and play them - if nothing of a higher priority is being played? 50 is lower than 49 and it still scans and plays every one of them. Lock out stops that.

I'll have to see if I can find those prototypes ... I did notice that new talk groups were added and were not locked out.

I have another issue I wanted to ask about, but let me see if you've been in that thread and maybe answered already ... otherwise I would like to ask you.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.