Unitrunker system requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

does anyone know the minimum system requirements for running Unitrunker? I am looking for an older laptop to use in conjunction with it and was wondering how old(i.e. "cheap") I can go and still be effective.

thanks

EDIT: More specifically, would a laptop with a 233mhz processor & 96MBs of RAM be ok?

Last edited:

morfis

phil_smith said:
does anyone know the minimum system requirements for running Unitrunker? I am looking for an older laptop to use in conjunction with it and was wondering how old(i.e. "cheap") I can go and still be effective.

thanks

EDIT: More specifically, would a laptop with a 233mhz processor & 96MBs of RAM be ok?

I have a 233MHz lappy with 128MB RAM running windoze XP and Unitrunker runs fine on that

FlashSWT

I have the EXACT same question as the original poster so I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

What minimum specs should I consider for a Unitrunker (and programming software but obviously not at the same time) dedicated laptop? I'm looking to pickup an older one that I can use into the foreseeable future.

Thanks for any and all help.

SCPD

QRT
FlashSWT said:
What minimum specs should I consider for a Unitrunker (and programming software but obviously not at the same time) dedicated laptop? I'm looking to pickup an older one that I can use into the foreseeable future.
Windows 95 vintage hardware (133 Mhz Pentium) would work but I'd be scared to use a laptop that old. :D

T4Win was created on a 450 Mhz AMD laptop running Windows 98 SE. Those can be had cheap but you'll spend a relative fortune on a new battery. New laptops with Ghz processors - depending on model and screen size - go for as low as $500.

Unitrunker does not need much memory or disk space - unless you turn on logging. The main concern is computing cycles - mostly consumed by pushing pixels onto the screen. If you know in advance what you're monitoring - you can turn off some features (like P25 decoding or MPT1327 "ignore sync") to save cycles.

FlashSWT

Thanks Rick. I'm probably looking at something around a 700 MHz PIII Dell. The school district my sister works in sells their old ones for $100. The battery isn't a big concern because it would either be plugged in at my desk or to the inverter in my truck.

I'm trying to avoid buying something more expensive than $200 since it won't be used for anything else but Unitrunker and occasionally programming the scanners at work.

Thanks again.

DiGiTaLD

Ignore Sync

Unitrunker said:
If you know in advance what you're monitoring - you can turn off some features (like P25 decoding or MPT1327 "ignore sync") to save cycles.
If I want to turn ignore sync off, should I have it set to No or Yes?

SCPD

QRT
DiGiTaLD said:
If I want to turn ignore sync off, should I have it set to No or Yes?
The normal setting is "Ignore sync = [Off]". Turning this ON will increase CPU load. If you don't have any MPT1327 systems in your area - leave it as-is.

DiGiTaLD

Nope, definitely no MPT1327 systems here in 7829 land! Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.