UniTrunker / Ubuntu 10.4 / Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Hey Rick,

Wooo Hooo !

And all this from a bootable, persistent, 4GB keychain ornament!

Dang, Linux is cool!... :)

-rb-

PS: that other app is running too (background), with no e's and almost perfect audio!
This is truly a paradigm shifting moment in time for all of us out here!

Attachments

• Screenshot-2.jpg
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,563

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Can you please list the exact hardware you are running? I am desparately trying to find a good combo to make all this work together. Thanks!

D

DaveNF2G

Slightly OT perhaps, but how does one make a thumb drive bootable and persistent?

offsite

Premium Subscriber
In my vast Linux expertise (acquired over the last few weeks since the paradigm shift), I totally required the step by step instructions that are found on the various Ubuntu forums. Here's one example that requires downloading an auxiliary app to help out:

Create a Persistent Bootable Ubuntu USB Flash Drive - How-To Geek

But, if you already have Ubuntu running on a PC, you can just use the install routine from that, because it gives you a persistence option box to check during the process.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

I like that approach because it is self contained. And I used the 9.10 version that I had previously 'wubi'd' onto my WinXP machine to produce the USB version of 10.04 Beta i'm now using.

One curious note (perhaps not so much, to real Linux users) is that I first used a PNY brand 8 GB stick, but found it would only boot from one of the four PC's here (Linda was being very patient, especially in the first couple of weeks), but then I read somewhere that the media can actually make a difference in bootability !??, so I switched to a 4 GB SanDisk Cruzer and it boots on three of the four machines.

Also, I am finding getting Win stuff to run under Wine is a bit experimental (more like random walk, actually) but I picked that over, say, VirtualBox, because it easily fits on the 4 GB stick together with Ubuntu and all my apps, whereas, my impression is VB requires a full install of WinXP (in my case), which won't fit on any mem sticks available currently, and would probably be really slow too.

I'm guessing VB runs Win apps better, though, so if someone knows how to stuff it onto a 4 GB stick, that might be better to have that instead of Wine.

-rb-

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Offsite,

Real cool stuff!

I have a few questions.

Are you using 2 soundcards (One for Unitrunker and the other for the digital audio)?

Can I use Wine to run Unitrunker and the scope programs along with DSD (in Linux background) on a dedicated Ubuntu OS machine (no USB persistent keychain)?

Is the latest version of Unitrunker compatable with Wine?

thanks,

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Joe,

In answer:

1) Are you using 2 soundcards (One for Unitrunker and the other for the digital audio)?

[I have one internal sound card (Diamond SX711, acquired recently for its alleged 8 kHz sample rate handling) and multiple USB audio adapters (one Roland UA-25EX, which allows both input level adjustment and sample rate selection via hardware, apparently needed for certain finicky new digital apps ) and my original six Sennheiser duplex headset audio adapters which, for years, have worked just fine for all previous applications.]

2) Can I use Wine to run Unitrunker and the scope programs along with DSD (in Linux background) on a dedicated Ubuntu OS machine (no USB persistent keychain)?

[Don't know... Am new to Linuxing and have not yet sacrificed one of our WinXP machines to Ubuntu]

3) Is the latest version of Unitrunker compatable with Wine?

[So far it won't open... and, believe me, i've tried. For instance:

Starting the retro version goes like this: Find the .exe icon on the Wine 'C' drive; Click the icon (UT window flashes open then closes); Click the icon again (UT window opens and persists, but without the menu); Drag the vertical slider to the bottom of the window (the menu magically appears back up in the original window segment!??) Select menu item (works); Select another menu item (can't, until you minimize and restore the window)... etc, etc... ]

As mentioned previously... getting this and other Win apps to run under Wine was basically achieved by the 'chimpanzee pushing random buttons on a control panel until the food drops' approach.

My next experiment will be trying to stuff a VirtualBox setup onto the 4 MB Cruzer. Surely it will handle Win apps better than Wine.

-rb-

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Joe, progress report, per your request:

8 GB PNY 'mini Attache' / Ubuntu 10.04 LTS / VirtualBox / WinXT-sp3 / UniTrunker / Unitrunker-retro

PC is Dell Vostro; 3+ GHz dual core; 4 GB Ram

Note resources are seriously under siege... :)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3,355
Status
Not open for further replies.