UNITRUNKER- where is info saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I have entered many unit IDs and other information into UNITRUNKER while monitoring the local public safety system. Into what file is this information saved? I would like to save and back-up this because I am moving UNITRUNKER into another computer and I don't want to have to start all over again. Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
In the main program window, click on the Archive tab. You'll see a list of current and past revisions of your data. To see the files in Windows Explorer, click on the Folder tool button.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
UNITRUNKER where in info saved

OK I opened the folder and I see a lot of files. While file in the folder contains the data I entered?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker.xml has your most recent data.

I copied my unitrunker.xml file to a second PC, expecting to have the same tags, colors, and all other data to be exactly the same on the second PC, but it wasn't. What do I need to do to have both PC's display the same data, colors, etc.?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Where is info saved? Nowhere sensible.

Considering the fact that the program doesn't require anything to be written to the registry upon install [even though it may write something to the registry], a program like UT should be self-contained in one directory. Store it all in one directory on a USB stick, on a hard drive, etc. I have never understood why in the world the data has to be spread out all over.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
The MSI installer conforms to Microsoft Windows convention. The program files are copied to the usual Program Files folder. The MSI also creates a start menu shortcut. The default location is under your %APPDATA% folder.

You can change the installed location or shortcut path. If you do, you're on your own.

Here are two tricks to quickly get to your data folder:

1. Windows Explorer.
a. type [Windows]+E to open Explorer.
b. type "%APPDATA%" in the location bar.
c. select the Unitrunker folder.

2. with Unitrunker running
a. select the archive tab
b. click the folder tool button.

At this point you've got an open folder. You can copy files to/from another folder or USB drive.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
If the file (Unitrunker.xml) was just modified, why does it have last years date? I removed all the Unitrunker.xml files from my PC, yet Unitrunker continues to display data, so it's getting it from somewhere else.

I'm trying to duplicate my Unitrunker data to a second PC, but copying the Unitrunker.xml file doesn't do it. It continues to use the old data.

SCPD

QRT
On your second PC, run Unitrunker using whatever means you normally do.

Use technique #2 above to open the folder. Your data files should be there. You can replace these Unitrunker.xml files with the ones from your other PC. Don't touch the Configure.xml file. That has your receiver configurations. Once you have the folder open, don't copy any files until you've closed Unitrunker. It reads those files at start-up. It will ignore them if it is already running.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The MSI installer conforms to Microsoft Windows convention. The program files are copied to the usual Program Files folder. The MSI also creates a start menu shortcut. The default location is under your %APPDATA% folder.

You can change the installed location or shortcut path. If you do, you're on your own.

Here are two tricks to quickly get to your data folder:

1. Windows Explorer.
a. type [Windows]+E to open Explorer.
b. type "%APPDATA%" in the location bar.
c. select the Unitrunker folder.

2. with Unitrunker running
a. select the archive tab
b. click the folder tool button.

At this point you've got an open folder. You can copy files to/from another folder or USB drive.

Re method 2: Doing this gives me a list of file revisions, not actual files. Clicking on the folder icon opens up my Unitrunker folder. There is a file there, "Unitrunker.xml". The date and size on this file never changes, regardless of when I update.

According to the Archive, I have about 237 or so revisions of the data, yet if I do a search for all files on my system named "Unitrunker.xml", the highest revision is 68 or so, from last year. Even though I update on a regular basis, there is no file on my system that is dated even close to today.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Color values (for the layout of the screen) and such are stored in Configure.xml in the %APPDATA% folder. Unitrunker.xml is in the same place. Color values for automatically tagging IDs and groups are in ColorWords.xml.

Grab those three files and you're good to go.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Color values (for the layout of the screen) and such are stored in Configure.xml in the %APPDATA% folder. Unitrunker.xml is in the same place. Color values for automatically tagging IDs and groups are in ColorWords.xml.

Grab those three files and you're good to go.

Thanks; I'll try that.

EDIT: It seems as though the latest files were stored in a folder (virtualstore) which was set on my system as a hidden folder, which is why I initially failed to find them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.