Unitrunker with a Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi. I think the person who developed unitrunker's name is Rick IINM.

I used to use unitrunker on a P25 system and my regions EDACS system but for the life of me I cant get it to work anymore, I dont really know what I am doing wrong but thats a different issue.

I noticed that newer scanners dont have to be tapped to run Trunk 88 and unitrunker.
I have a Home Patrol 1 but did not buy the extreme update that went for $50 and now goes for a "C-note."

Is there any way to run unitrunker without this paid update.
The page below is kinda vague.

UniTrunker | Home Patrol

Thanks

Eric

ronchaffin

Premium Subscriber
Get the update... it is well worth the 100 bucks. You can do all ( well most) of the analysis and logging you can do with Unitrunker right in the palm of your hand. You will not be disappointed.

SCPD

QRT
The program requires the raw data outout feature. Raw data output only works with the Extreme upgrade.

HP-1E support isn't complete. The preview release will decode Motorola, P25, MPT1327 and EDACS48. The program does not decode LTR from audio. The raw data output is too heavily filtered to decode EDAC96. I've sent an email to Uniden describing the filtering problem.

I have yet to implement voice following with the HP-1E.

Eric - consider tapping an older scanner. The upgrade is pretty nice - and can reduce to number of radios and cables needed when mobile.

Last edited:

XTS3000

Where do we get the latest version? The version I downloaded is from unitrunker.com, but doesn't support the HP-1E. I've played with this software for 3 hours now, and still can't get anything to work. I'm stuck on step 3 where it says to press "Inline". Once "Inline" is selected, there is no option for the HP-1 (only PSR's and a few Unidens - no HP-1). I'm lost....

SCPD

QRT
The normal release process works like this ...

Official builds go in the website's main download folder.

Preview builds go in the preview folder. These are experimental builds that may fix some things and possibly break others. The details of these preview builds are announced on a mailing list.

A preview build has been out for while with little or no complaints gets promoted to the next official release.

It's not like the previews are a big secret. It's just easier to deal with a smaller audience before announcing a release as available for general use. Most folks don't like to live on the bleeding edge. They prefer to wait for the next stable release.

If you'd like to play with the current preview release, look in the preview folder. Details and discussion are on the Google Groups mailing list.

Last edited:

OCO

XTS3000: I was able to get UT running on a Mot Phase 1 system, but haven't been able to get anything on a couple of EDACS systems locally. If you do get things running, post any hints you may have...Still politicking for the Windows-DSD port to get a patch for the HP1 digital output.....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

OCO

I've got three systems locally that are EDACS standard, I get a good waveform in the little scope, but no logging. I'll try a clean setup later, I'm still pretty hazy on it.. Thanks for the news!

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Setup

I've got three systems locally that are EDACS standard, I get a good waveform in the little scope, but no logging. I'll try a clean setup later, I'm still pretty hazy on it.. Thanks for the news!

YEA, I would start over again, I had a heck of a time the first time I tried Unitrunker several months ago, could not get it too work. this time I had no problems at all, don't know if I just got lucky or what.

under run make sure you have it set to RUNNING
Steve

OCO

YEA, I would start over again, I had a heck of a time the first time I tried Unitrunker several months ago, could not get it too work. this time I had no problems at all, don't know if I just got lucky or what.

under run make sure you have it set to RUNNING
Steve

Running and stopped work OK and I can see the control getting back to the HP1. I see Rick's comment on 9600 CC channel issues on EDACS, I've got to find out what EDACS standard is - I thought it was 4800, probably wrong.

DonS

Running and stopped work OK and I can see the control getting back to the HP1. I see Rick's comment on 9600 CC channel issues on EDACS, I've got to find out what EDACS standard is - I thought it was 4800, probably wrong.

IIRC, EDACS "standard" is a 9600bps control channel whlie EDACS "narrow" is 4800bps.

OCO

Thanks.. I may have had it working on one of the systems, looks like I got a log file. I swear when I was running it on the Mot Phase I system that it brought up and displayed the log output while it was running..

Probably would be smarter to just do the tap on the virgin Pro-2042 that's setting in front of me. Before the latest HP1 firmware, it was easier to find the CC and start things up.. Now, you've got to remember the CC frq. and put it in manually. From UPMan's comment, sounds like the processor may be tapped out on the HP1 (too many added features lately? ) <lol>

D

DaveNF2G

Resurrecting an old thread....

I have the Unitrunker release from a few days ago (UT does not have a Help About where I can see the version numbers). My HP-1E is connected to my laptop under Windows XP SP3 with HP drivers installed and operating. I established it as an Inline receiver on the comport shown in Device Manager. When I click the Start icon in Unitrunker, the HP-1E beeps, which I take to mean that it is in communication with Unitrunker. I have enabled only P25 mode.

At the HP-1E end, I have the control channel of a local single-site P25 trunked system programmed via direct frequency entry within the Serial Output function. Filter is OFF and I have clicked Start (prior to starting the receiver in Unitrunker).

I can hear the CC data through the HP speaker, but Unitrunker sees absolutely nothing.

Any ideas?

D

DaveNF2G

Problem mysteriously solved - and then returned.

I switched to the CC for a different system and, lo and behold, Unitrunker started decoding.

I stopped the UT receiver, closed the system window, switched back to the new P25 CC, started the UT receiver and, voila! Unitrunker started decoding.

Next I tried to switch to the EDACS system from which the agency that is using this new P25 system is switching. Stopped the UT receiver, enabled EDACS decoding, changed frequency on the HP-1E to the EDACS CC, started the UT receiver - no decode again.

It is really frustrating to follow the same startup protocol repeatedly and only have success once in a while.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The only real issue I've had with Unitrunker + HP-1E is that sometimes it gets a little flaky with the Com Port. Opening the receiver window and clicking refresh usually clears it up, just re-select the correct port and the HP-1 is back in business.

It worth noting that if you are hearing a P25 control channel through the HP-1's speaker, it's not decoding well enough to be recognized as a control channel, much less provide UT with anything valuable it can decode. The HP-1, like Uniden's other digital scanners, is designed to automatically mute the audio when it detects a P25 control channel. You should also take a look at the Scope tab of the receiver window in UT to verify whether the waveform looks clean or not.

As far as verifying the UT version you're running, click the ? button on the program's main window toolbar to see the "About" screen.

D

DaveNF2G

Does CC mute work in direct tune mode? Seems counterproductive to have the scanner muting something you might be searching for.

Thanks for the '?' tip.

"Scope Tab" - is that the "Inspect" magnifying glass? I'll try that next time.

I tried to use UniScope to check the signal, but it only monitors sound inputs.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does CC mute work in direct tune mode? Seems counterproductive to have the scanner muting something you might be searching for.

Yes, anytime the HP-1 encounters a P25 CC, it will mute the audio. This applies to Quick Frequency Entry, Limit Search, Raw Data Output, Conventional Discovery Mode, etc. This only applies to P25 CC's, it does not mute Motorola 3600 or EDACS control channels, you will hear the audio on those frequencies.

"Scope Tab" - is that the "Inspect" magnifying glass? I'll try that next time.

Negative. Open the HP-1's receiver window, then switch over to the Scope tab (at the bottom of the window).

I tried to use UniScope to check the signal, but it only monitors sound inputs.

Actually, the HP-1 is sending baseband (discriminator) audio through the USB cable, it does not send data the same way the other digital models would through the USB cable. That's why if you look at the receiver scope window (as above), you will see the waveform.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes, anytime the HP-1 encounters a P25 CC, it will mute the audio. This applies to Quick Frequency Entry, Limit Search, Raw Data Output, Conventional Discovery Mode, etc. This only applies to P25 CC's, it does not mute Motorola 3600 or EDACS control channels, you will hear the audio on those frequencies.

That's NOT how mine works, if I enter a CC in Raw Data Output I definitely hear it. need to kill the volume while running UT.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That's NOT how mine works, if I enter a CC in Raw Data Output I definitely hear it. need to kill the volume while running UT.

Are you referring to a P25 CC?

It mutes the audio for a P25 CC only. It does not mute audio for a Motorola or EDACS CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.