Unitrunker wont pick quick flipping channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know how to describe it except when the fire dept gets an initial call, the signal flips rapidly between the fire and police channels. How do I get it to stick on the fire channel even when it transmits in what seems like half second bursts. This is only for the initial fire call out requesting service. After the initial call, Unitrunker works perfectly and can pick out the fire signal and play the audio, its just this initial call out that is not getting 'chosen'.

the Unitrunker signal alternates rapidly between the encrypted police and the analog fire channel in quick seemingly half second bursts, I have played with every setting for months... any ideas?

If I manually tune to the channel with SDR#, the audio plays fine. I just cant get Unitrunker to stay locked on durring the few seconds of these initial calls.... even stranger the scanning plugin in SDR# will stay locked on. Its like I need a Delay or a lockout of the police channel or something. Priority setting has no effect. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying to get that to work for a long time. see pic and time stamps

Attachments

• unilock.jpg
    unilock.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

deboe

Are you talking about the stuff in the bottom part of the screen like line 2 and 3 for 5G?
Those are messages they are not voice traffic.

I think un-checking data will make them go away from the screen.

naw its the signal, either the radio operator/dispatcher is setup odd, or they are intentionally trying to block unitrunker in the first few seconds of the initial call out to services. Either way, I'm trying to mitigate it.

the 5G is the signal im talking about (fire), however it comes in with alternating Laguna Beach Police Dispatch1, its like they are linking the calls together somehow (MS multiselect), except it rapidly switches from the 5G on one channel, to the Laguna Beach Police Dispatch1 signal on a second freq, and they rapidly go on and off back and forth many times per second. I would call it 'flapping rapidly'.

i will try to post a video, you would have to see it in action I think ....

Last edited:

deboe

Thats weird, Unitrunker should never even try to stop on an encrypted talkgroup.
Looks like you have a single VOC so anything with a higher priority will cut out and try and play that one.

I know unitunker works fine on County Wide/South/North cells. I can't get Laguna from here, but will try this week to drag my laptop into range ;)

Last edited:
yeah it doesn't happen on South or Countywide, only on lagunas dispatch when they group police and fire together for the initial call out

im trying to get a video recorded so you can see

ok check this out

https://youtu.be/agxv1lJdqi8

and then after the initial call it works:
https://youtu.be/HzymBvHJDL8

strange thing is, every now and then unitrunker voice VCO will lock on the fire freq (when doing the flapping) and play normally.
Also, if i jump on SDR# with my 3rd dongle, the scan plugin will find the channel and play. Or if I manually tune to the freq, it will also play normally ( from SDR#)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hi Laguna;

This is a known issue on sites that use a very degenerate, resource inefficient form of multi-select.

The dispatcher is talking on two channels at the same time. One is analog. The other is encrypted. The appearance of the same radio ID talking on two channels at once thoroughly confuses the program (as you can see). Normally, when someone starts talking on another channel - it means they've stopped talking on a previous active channel.

I do not have a fix for this. A possible technical reason for the dispatcher doing things this way is the PD talkgroup is pegged for digital. Still, this ties up two voice channels to carry the same traffic.

ahhh thank you for explaining what was going on. I was tripping if it was my setup or not.

If I ever figure out a workaround I will be sure to post an update

thank you sir

slicerwizard

The dispatcher is talking on two channels at the same time. One is analog. The other is encrypted. The appearance of the same radio ID talking on two channels at once thoroughly confuses the program (as you can see). Normally, when someone starts talking on another channel - it means they've stopped talking on a previous active channel.

I do not have a fix for this.
I think it would be quite rare for a user to be talking on one talkgroup and then rapidly switch to a second talkgroup and immediately key up, so I'd suggest disabling that logic for now. Or adding an option to enable/disable it. Or disable it on dispatcher IDs (you'd need a way for users to flag dispatchers)

Status
Not open for further replies.