• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unity / M7300 Repeater Configuration

brian86

Database Admin
So I would like to get the Volunteer Fire Departments Repeater back functioning. This repeater Simulcasted (Repeated) transmissions from the main working incident channel so the Volunteers could use an old 2 Channel Minitor pager to listen in big fires.

We want to use a M7300 Mobile or Unity Mobile Radio to Scan Two Talkgroups and Re-Broadcast to a M7100 110W VHF Mobile (Set to 50Watts) on a local volunteer departments licensed frequency. The previous setup was a M7100 p25 Phase I to M7100 VHF 110W radio (All Front Mounts). The system has been defunct since the county switched to P25 Phase II. Attached below is the wiring schmatic I came up with that worked with the ARCOM AR210 Controller at the time.

We will now be using an ID-O-MATIC IV at the updated site location due to space limitations. The only thing is the RPM Software changed up the IO Ports settings a bit and I can't remember if the external mute is an important feature to have enabled. Also Harris Changed up the 37 pin connector to 44 Pin Connector and I don't want to fry anything. I see in the manual most of the IO Ports on the back carry the same functions and a few extras now.

Can anyone confirm that has maybe used a M7300 or Unity in a repeater setup and let me know if I'm on the right track?

Orion_FRNT_Mount_Pinout_AR210.jpg

Attachments

• Orion_FRNT_Mount_Pinout_AR210.pdf
    668.1 KB · Views: 5

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I would use that document combined with the attached pdf which describes how to integrate a Pyramid SVR with a 100M.

Good luck!

-B

P.S. This will at least let you see the pins that Pyramid deemed necessary/best for repeater functionality… obviously, much of the document does not apply to your project.

Attachments

• AN303.PDF
    355.5 KB · Views: 14

brian86

Database Admin
Another question is there a way to run the M7300 / UNITY Mobiles Headless? Like for my purpose once everything is programmed no settings or anything ever have to be changed. Is there some way to just tell the radio to be on and work?

I tired Pin 15 to ground the CTLON but the radio just power cycles non stop.

Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Another question is there a way to run the M7300 / UNITY Mobiles Headless? Like for my purpose once everything is programmed no settings or anything ever have to be changed. Is there some way to just tell the radio to be on and work?

I tired Pin 15 to ground the CTLON but the radio just power cycles non stop.
I e read about this in the manual. There is supposed to be a way to set that up but I’ve never tried. It has to do with setting up the MRU as ‘data only’. I don’t know how smart it is about not operating headless on voice channels or if it cares at all, but I’d look up data only in the manual and see how far it gets you.

-B

brian86

Database Admin
I am trying to use an ID-O-Matic IV Repeater Controller and I Don't know what I am doing wrong.... I love Harris Radios, but the fact that they don't make there I/O interfaces more user friendly really gets me (Like COR how hard is that to have on a radio?).... I have everything setup and configured But I get nothing....

I could really use some assistance if anyone knows how to make a M7300 work as a receive radio...

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I am trying to use an ID-O-Matic IV Repeater Controller and I Don't know what I am doing wrong.... I love Harris Radios, but the fact that they don't make there I/O interfaces more user friendly really gets me (Like COR how hard is that to have on a radio?).... I have everything setup and configured But I get nothing....

I could really use some assistance if anyone knows how to make a M7300 work as a receive radio...
Really? I've always found GE-descendant radios to be much more friendly to that short of thing than Motorola; I think the engineers in Lynchburg were (are?) hams and have an eye on post-commercial use during the design phase.

I'll dig through my documentation and find the right pinout for you.

brian86

Database Admin
I actually got it all working. It was the pesky software settings and a little bit of human (Brian) error. I will post a schematic later today for the next interested party that has hair left to pull out.

Last edited:

brian86

Database Admin
So as promised here is what I did to make a repeater using a M7300 P25 Phase II Mobile Radio as the RX and an M7100 110Watt VHF Radio as the TX. I built a little box and have the M7300 and M7100 Cable hardwired in. The M7300 Supplies the power for the ID-O-Matic so it eliminates the need for additional power wires ran to the ID-O-Matic Controller. The Box has flange mounts so I am actually going to install everything in a server rack once the Tower Site is ready.

ID-O-Matic M7300 Orion Wiring.jpgID-O-Matic M7300 Orion Cable LQ.jpg

Attachments

• ID-O-Matic M7300 Orion Wiring.pdf
    304.7 KB · Views: 19

prcguy

So as promised here is what I did to make a repeater using a M7300 P25 Phase II Mobile Radio as the RX and an M7100 110Watt VHF Radio as the TX. I built a little box and have the M7300 and M7100 Cable hardwired in. The M7300 Supplies the power for the ID-O-Matic so it eliminates the need for additional power wires ran to the ID-O-Matic Controller. The Box has flange mounts so I am actually going to install everything in a server rack once the Tower Site is ready.

View attachment 139804View attachment 139805
Nice diagram, thanks.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

View attachment 139804View attachment 139805

Hmmmmmm. I'm getting an idea for a project.

Prior to 1997, the fire channel for the county was 33.86, which was abandoned when we moved to EDACS; on EDACS between 1997 and 2016 each agency had a dedicated paging talkgroup, which meant that runs including automatic response companies had to be paged out multiple times by the dispatchers. When we migrated to P25 I installed a conventional 800 MHz paging repeater which streamlined things quite a bit and allows stacked paging.

We still have our license for 33.86, and I'm seriously tempted to set up a one-way conventional 800 MHz to 33.86 patch so runs can be paged out on low band again; since many of our fire departments still have their low-band pagers it would give us an alternate alerting method (and maybe a little bit because it would be neat).

brian86

Database Admin
Hmmmmmm. I'm getting an idea for a project.

Prior to 1997, the fire channel for the county was 33.86, which was abandoned when we moved to EDACS; on EDACS between 1997 and 2016 each agency had a dedicated paging talkgroup, which meant that runs including automatic response companies had to be paged out multiple times by the dispatchers. When we migrated to P25 I installed a conventional 800 MHz paging repeater which streamlined things quite a bit and allows stacked paging.

We still have our license for 33.86, and I'm seriously tempted to set up a one-way conventional 800 MHz to 33.86 patch so runs can be paged out on low band again; since many of our fire departments still have their low-band pagers it would give us an alternate alerting method (and maybe a little bit because it would be neat).
Sounds like a good idea to me as long as the license is valid.