• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unity XG-100 Feature Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I am going by the glossy brochure Harris passed out. It was given out when it was announced that they got the bid for the Alberta (Canada) province wide 700 MHz system with a VHF overlay. Perhaps the brochure advertises something the unit doesn't have.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I am very likely going to be seeing a Harris radio soon and MDC1200 is on my list of things to ask about. I'll try to remember this thread.

XTS3000

All these manufactures of these multiband radios that are supposed to be used for interop, are missing the basic features like MDC, DTMF, QCII.

It's taken Motorola 18-24 months to make the APX series work decent, and it's still missing basic interop features like QCII.

Most of the new multiband radio manufactures are rushing their products out the door before they are ready for release.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
I know they do pre-ptt mdc1200

If you know, the only way to "know" is to see it function in a radio.

So as i have been saying, please post the firmware version of the radio and version of RPM used to program it.

There are plenty of us with Unity's on here and none of ours have MDC.

If you would like to make a valuable contribution to this thread, please give some facts as opposed to the repeated " I know it does it" we have heard over and over.

According to the latest RPM help file, MDC is supported by the following radios:

This Control Applies To: P7200 Series (P7270-System, P7250-Scan, and P7230-Select), P7300 Series (P7370-System and P7350-Scan), P5300 Series (P5350-Scan and P5370-System), P5400 Series (P5450-Scan and P5470-System), M5300, P5200

Since Unity isn't among them, right now I'm pretty confident it doesn't support it. However, since that feature appears to be available (or to be imminently available) for the later single band radios, it seems like it is likely that the feature will appear in the fullness of time on Unity.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
According to the latest RPM help file, MDC is supported by the following radios:

Since Unity isn't among them, right now I'm pretty confident it doesn't support it. However, since that feature appears to be available (or to be imminently available) for the later single band radios, it seems like it is likely that the feature will appear in the fullness of time on Unity.

Thanks, what version RPM was that and were in the Help did you find it.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
A group of us just had a meeting with a Harris representative over this very issue with MDC signalling. Harris unfortunately forgot those of use who use MDC and the related features. From us, and several other jurisdictions pushing for MDC, Harris has several firmware upgrades slated for this next year for the XG-100. The first is tentatively scheduled for the end of January, This version is supposed to include MDC at the end of PTT option, along enabling several of the MDC functions. Also included is Multiple Tone Selection (Motorola calls it MPL, Kenwood calls it OST.

Based on our experience with Harris and their constant delays, I'm not holding my breath for them to be on time.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that they have will have a new programming software from a new develper that will not work on the previous versions of firmware. I haven't seen it yet, but some of my counterparts have and they're not real impressed...

MrPathloss

A group of us just had a meeting with a Harris representative over this very issue with MDC signalling. Harris unfortunately forgot those of use who use MDC and the related features. From us, and several other jurisdictions pushing for MDC, Harris has several firmware upgrades slated for this next year for the XG-100. The first is tentatively scheduled for the end of January, This version is supposed to include MDC at the end of PTT option, along enabling several of the MDC functions. Also included is Multiple Tone Selection (Motorola calls it MPL, Kenwood calls it OST.

Based on our experience with Harris and their constant delays, I'm not holding my breath for them to be on time.

That's what I figured as well! Another tech of ours purchased the Thales radio and it has by far more features incorporated in its software set, which includes MDC. I just didn't like the feel and boot up time. I purchased the Unity in hopes they would eventually update features and assumed they were just slow in coming; but it has been a long time and we're getting a little concerned they may never include these features.

I'm still holding my breath

TERRY

car5le

Premium Subscriber
After spending a bunch of time with the Harris Sales force, I don't think they actually had the vision to include "legacy features" (sorry for using a 'M' term). From what I have read and what other departments back east have done - convincing themselves that P25 was their only option to go to instead of just narrow banding their existing radios - I think Harris assumed that everyone was convinced that they needed to go P25, so they didn't include MDC, paging functions, multiple tone selections, etc. Like a sleeping giant that has been servicing the military for years with their radios, now that they are in the civilian world, they are having to change their mindset.

Quite frankly, for the cost of the radio, it is way too bulky and cumbersome for the street cop to carry on duty. On top of that, it's not easy to manipulate, especially when you are in a crisis situation. And who will ever use the 12500 channel capacity that it offers. With that amount of room, you could almost put all agencies in the western states in the darn thing.

mancow

Database Admin
I saw it at Dayton and thought it was a nice size but I guess it's all personal opinion and preference.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
The fire guys love the size. The cop guys don't. But the fire guys don't have to carry it on their hip for 8-12 hours either. I'm not saying it's a bad radio. It's just has some things that don't carry over well from one profession to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.