• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unity XG-100m

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerowner

I'm researching about the Unity Portable and Mobile for our local CERT Team as a radio upgrade.

My first question is, how does the control feature work for the mobile? I see there are two faceplates, but how do they separate apart? Is there a bracket to mount it with?

My second question is, how many antennas do you need a VHF, UHF and 700/800 or do you use a splitter? Does it need a UHF Mini or PL 259 connector?

Thanks in advance!

rescuecomm

You do realize that Unity radios cost upwards of $5,000.00 each. A CERT team would need to be well funded to get a dozen of these. Anyway, dual band antennas are generally VHF and UHF. I am sure that multiband antennas are available for the mobile radios.

Bob

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm researching about the Unity Portable and Mobile for our local CERT Team as a radio upgrade.

Seriously, you are looking at $5000+ per radio. For a CERT team, that isn't chump change. Other issue is that while some local agencies support the CERT teams quite well, I'd be cautious about expecting them to give you access to frequencies that would require a radio like this. You'd need written memorandums of understanding to use other agencies radio channels. Make sure you get that MOU signed before you drop 5 large on a radio.

My first question is, how does the control feature work for the mobile? I see there are two faceplates, but how do they separate apart? Is there a bracket to mount it with?

Often, the RF deck (radio "guts") get mounted in a patrol car trunk, and the control head gets mounted up in the center console. There will be a cable that links the control head to the RF deck. This makes installation much easier, and can put the radio guts back closer to the antennas and power. The manufacturer of the center console will sell specific plates to properly mount these radios onto the console.

My second question is, how many antennas do you need a VHF, UHF and 700/800 or do you use a splitter? Does it need a UHF Mini or PL 259 connector? Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly, there were two antenna ports. There was a dedicated port for the low band exciter ouput, I think it was an SMA or mini-UHF. The second connector was for everything else, VHF-High, UHF, 700, 800MHz. I do believe it was an N connector.
They make multiband antennas that are designed to work with these radios. They have one feed point that gets connected back to the N connector on the radio. The antenna handles all the bands. Not ideal, but they work. As for low band VHF, it only puts out a few milliwatts. I've seen it marketed as a "receiver" only, but they can be hooked up to a suitable amp to crank out some useable power. It would take a dedicated antenna for that.

Seriously though. A CERT team with a budget to drop $5000 per radio is something I'd love to see. Truth is that it would be very unlikely you would be able to use the full potential of a radio like this. You'd probably be better off with some single band radios for your normal work, and maybe another radio on different bands to cover everything else.
I've used one of these radios, and I grew tired of it very quickly. They are L-A-R-G-E radios, and heavy. They get uncomfortable to carry around. I couldn't wait to ditch the one I had and go back to a single band radio. I wouldn't want to be working rescues and have that monstrosity on my belt.

But, hey, if you have the money, and the agencies will give you an MOU to access their systems, then go for whatever floats your boat.

DisasterGuy

I use the 100p and 100m daily. As mentioned, fully featured, the cost is just shy of $5k for the portable and a hair over $5k for the mobile. On the mobile low band goes to a BNC connector and VHF-800 goes to a TNC connector. Laird makes an antenna designed for the radio covering 136-870 that works quite well. For low band there is a 100watt PA that should be released next month at a cost of around $1k.

Size on the portable (including antenn) is comparable to a VHF/800 APX7000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasteddy64

We use this antenna with our Unity mobile.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,505
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,460

Muxlow

Super Secret
There is a Unity on ebay right now for 3000

Side question here. Can the CH-100 control head from the Unity be used on the M72/7300 series radios?

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I haven't tried it as an experiment, but it is not *officially* supported.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I didn't see that it was conventional only...but I also didn't see that it wasn't. Too many unknowns with that radio to tell what you're even getting for features. It could have all bands, crypto and P25 phase 2, or it could even be a disappointment as a VHF only analog radio.

I notice that this person also has a 100p for sale as well. Hope nobody makes a mistake and doesn't ask any questions before buying...

Muxlow

Super Secret
In the question area he says he will post photos of the features over the weekend. Guess we will see. The seller said he upgraded his radios to something els. Wonder what would make him do THAT

Status
Not open for further replies.