• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unity XG-100P questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

It will only work if scan is enabled. If you just park on channel or talkgroup with scan disabled it won't scan them.

Also,you can't scan zones.When you select scan in a zone,the radio only scans the system that's tied to that particular talkgroup or channed that you enabled scan on.

Zones in the XG-100P and for that matter the XL series, are meant for quickly selecting "manually" between different channels and talkgroups.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Scan IS enabled, in the checkbox on each frequency in the "Conventional Frequency Set" window, as well as each talkgroup in the "Group Sets" window.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It will only work if scan is enabled. If you just park on channel or talkgroup with scan disabled it won't scan them.

Also,you can't scan zones.When you select scan in a zone,the radio only scans the system that's tied to that particular talkgroup or channed that you enabled scan on.

Zones in the XG-100P and for that matter the XL series, are meant for quickly selecting "manually" between different channels and talkgroups.

Zones are groupings of channels, whether from the same or different systems in the radio. They’re all that I use now that I no longer have x7100 radios to deal with. The only caveat is that you have to define a startup zone and channel to use upon power-up, or the radio will ‘run home to momma’ and default to a system upon power up. Major PITA.

You can scan zones, sort of; just define a custom scan list. You’ll still be scanning only the custom scan list tied to the system of the talk group/channel you’re on, but it works better than scanning only what’s in the system.

TDR-94

Zones are groupings of channels, whether from the same or different systems in the radio. They’re all that I use now that I no longer have x7100 radios to deal with. The only caveat is that you have to define a startup zone and channel to use upon power-up, or the radio will ‘run home to momma’ and default to a system upon power up. Major PITA.

You can scan zones, sort of; just define a custom scan list. You’ll still be scanning only the custom scan list tied to the system of the talk group/channel you’re on, but it works better than scanning only what’s in the system.

All you can scan is a P25T and a conventional priority system. The talkgroups and channels that are defined in a zone can not be scanned together.

It would have been great if you could and scan across multiple P25T systems!

All you are really scanning is the conventional priority system and the talk groups in that P25T system.

Last edited:

wk14724

Premium Subscriber
All you can scan is a P25T and a conventional priority system. The talkgroups and channels that are defined in a zone can not be scanned together.

It would have been great if you could and scan across multiple P25T systems!

All you are really scanning is the conventional priority system and the talk groups in that P25T system.
So you can only scan ONE Convention Sysyem and ONE P25T system. I have that set up but still does not detect the conventional traffic while I am on a P25T talkgroup and vice versa.

TDR-94

It's not recommended to scan more than 8 conventional channels with a P25T system. The more channels you add the slower the scan process and the more likely to miss traffic.

The process also seems to still be buggy, even with the latest firmware and it isn't likely to be improved. The sun is setting on the XG-100 platform.

TDR-94

So you can only scan ONE Convention Sysyem and ONE P25T system. I have that set up but still does not detect the conventional traffic while I am on a P25T talkgroup and vice versa.

Try this to confirm if it's scanning both P25T and conventional channels.Add your local weather frequency/channel to the mission plan and then add it to your conventional priority system or custom scan list with your other channels/P25 talkgroups and see how long it takes to scan to the weather channel.

You will then see why you will miss most conventional traffic and think it's not scanning anything. It's just extremely slow and as result will miss most traffic. Especially if you are trying to scan more than 8 conventional channels with a P25T system.

These radios aren't scanners and suck at scanning P25T and conventional channels together or even large numbers of conventional channels.

I'm unsure if the XL-200P really functions any better in that regard, They carried over all the XG-100P functions and features and then started adding some new features specific to the XL-200P. The XG-100P and XL-200P use different processors and are nothing alike internally.

Last edited:

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
The issues with scanning mixed mode conventional for any radio is you're asking the radio to look away from the trunking control channel to pay attention to the conventional channel. That' can cause missed info. Scan on a trunked system is very different that conventional scan.

Could anybody help point me in the direction to order, or obtain some parts for an XG-100? I need a channel selector knob and a PTT button cover.... I cant find anything about parts ANYWHERE

TDR-94

Could anybody help point me in the direction to order, or obtain some parts for an XG-100? I need a channel selector knob and a PTT button cover.... I cant find anything about parts ANYWHERE

Your best bet would have been NLT for those parts, but they don't have the standard replacement channel selector knobs or the PTT buttons any longer. Those, some antennas, and a couple other cosmetic parts were all that were made available for field repairs.

No other parts can be obtained outside of L3HARRIS's repair service. It's around $900 to send it in for repair, if they accept your repair request.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Tom, I agree, I wish the emergency button could be programmed for something other than emergency.

The radio itself, will actually allow the emergency button to do anything the other buttons on the radio can do (in fact, technically, all the buttons can be programmed for any allowable function). The limitation here is RPM which locks the only programmable function of the Emergency Button to "EMERGENCY CALL".

With, crafty, modification to RPM (of which I will not discuss here and leave as an exercise to the reader [so don't PM me]), it is possible to allow the button to be programmed for any allowable button function.

Image 4.png

prcguy

Thanks for the heads up on this, works great. I did have to change the emergency button timing to 0.0 seconds otherwise you had to push the button longer to change modes.

The radio itself, will actually allow the emergency button to do anything the other buttons on the radio can do (in fact, technically, all the buttons can be programmed for any allowable function). The limitation here is RPM which locks the only programmable function of the Emergency Button to "EMERGENCY CALL".

With, crafty, modification to RPM (of which I will not discuss here and leave as an exercise to the reader [so don't PM me]), it is possible to allow the button to be programmed for any allowable button function.

View attachment 110715

TDR-94

Harris no longer supports much of anything for the XG100P. The entire repair and test and alignment shop was scrapped last year.

Unless L3HARRIS has changed things, the last EOL list, that I've seen, showed support for the XG-100P until mid 2022.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Thanks; that knowledge saves me some time.

I have spent some time trying to scan a few talkgroups mixed in with some conventional analog and P25 amateur frequencies. I have not been successful. I know there is a "Custom Scan Options" window which allows me to set up what I want, but it doesn't work. If I park on a talkgroup, I hear traffic on it, but the conventional channels are ignored. Likewise, if I park on a conventional channel, the talkgroups are ignored. There must be some additional settings somewhere that I can't find. Do I need to also set up a zone?
if

View attachment 110715
hey I never performed your first exercise… adding GE Star encode to the unity via P25 sets… tbh I don’t wanna risk downgrading and end bricking a $1000+ piece of equipment that cannot be repaired

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
hey I never performed your first exercise… adding GE Star encode to the unity via P25 sets… tbh I don’t wanna risk downgrading and end bricking a $1000+ piece of equipment that cannot be repaired

Not sure what GE Star change your talking about (I don't recall saying anything to you about such a thing, but I digress). But, for the button options the change doesn't require firmware change on the radio. This hack is hack to RPM (the programming software).

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what GE Star change your talking about (I don't recall saying anything to you about such a thing, but I digress). But, for the button options the change doesn't require firmware change on the radio. This hack is hack to RPM (the programming software).
Treatlike Fight Club

This is my fix for those saltine cracker strength PTT side paddle keys B90B4E8E-5A39-45AC-8F49-8F84D5B035A2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.