Universal Radio - Aww maaaaaaaan!

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I hate seeing that sort of thing. I made my first trip to the new HRO store in Winter Springs Florida yesterday. Didn't really need much of anything that could justify the 2 hour trip but I wanted to see a candy store at least once more in my life.

I was able to keep my sweet tooth under control. :)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not, there is a really good reason to go to Tigard to pick it up, rather than order it online. But yeah, the trip will be fun, as I've not been down that way in over 10 years.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes the owners of universal radio made the announcement quite a while ago that they were going out of business but still had some internet stuff going on with remaining stock.

Look it up and you might find a number of threads regarding this and I agree... once a revered vendor. I see this is now in off-topic Wireless in the bowels of the tavern? Well anyway. :D

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Grove Enterprises was the one that made me tear up. I bought so much stuff from that guy, and subscribed to his awesome magazine as well. It was truly an end of an era for me. Nothing ever felt the same after that.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm a little confused as we are in the tavern under off-topic Wireless but can still like people? when we should probably be in general scantling discussion.

Yes we all enjoy monitoring times and Bob Grove. For some of us older folks before any internet we had many many other personalities and publications we enjoyed.

There are some threads identifying all of the individuals and organizations or Publications that we all read.

How else could we get scanner reviews or announcements of new radios LOL. I contributed myself to different publications and published a frequency listing service, again, before the internet.

mharris

I was so sad to see Universal closing up shop; I've been a customer since age 14! Fred and Bard are fantastic and deserve a nice retirement. Best wishes to them!

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
Just popped on there this evening and noticed the retirement notice. Sad time indeed but well deserved! Time to find another vendor I guess

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not that I know of. Many of the listings in their catalog are marked as "Discontinued" or "Not in Stock". When they announced their retirement and closing, they said they'd remain open to sell off their inventory. That may be taking longer than they anticipated.